EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/20/22 - JWD $8.5m, TGM $8.0m, LY $6.8m

Cleopatra lived closer to us than to the construction of the Great Pyramid of Giza by over 500 years.

Also, consequently the Pyramids of Giza were more ancient to the Romans than the Romans are to us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Other than Avatar 2, which other two you think will do $658M+. 

TGM and BP2 both can. I wouldn't currently bet on all 3 doing it, but if things go right then it can happen. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

TGM and BP2 both can. I wouldn't currently bet on all 3 doing it, but if things go right then it can happen. 

Am bit bearish on BP2, thinking somewhere around 500M at the moment. Will be happy to take 700 obviously.

TGM 625M may happen but 658 653 seems a bit too high.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I felt really really old when i learned that were now closer to 2030 than 2013.

Also, the year 1980 is now further away from us than 1940 was for the people that lived during 1980.

It does seem like there was a great flattening in culture post 9/11. The same franchises, same people and creatives still are on top now.

Choosing a year at random and landing on 2003, this was the top 10:

1. Finding Nemo (had a sequel 6 years ago)

2. Pirates - new one is in development

3. LOTR - the Amazon show released pictures today

4. Matrix 2 - we are just 7 months out from Matrix 4 which came out

5. Bruce Almighty 

6. X2 - Patrick Stewart appeared in a movie last month as Professor X

7. Elf - still a movie which plays every holiday

8. Chicago - this started the musical comeback

9. Terminator 3 - this franchise refuses to die

10. Bad Boys 2 - Bad Boys 4 is in development

Also, in terms of movies, there was a tangible effect to the VFX back then which was a mixture of visual and practical which has allowed it to age well. You can release most big movies from 99-2005 now and not see much to object with in terms of effects. 

There was a great article about how nothing actual defines the 2000s onwards in terms of fashion. Stuff you wear now in day to day can be worn in the 2000s without anything seeming out of place. It was a pretty good article and mostly looked at the difference from aesthetic point of view. Like you can't dress like the 90s in any decade apart from the 90s, similarly the 80s, 70s and 60s as well. Post 2000, there's trends which come and go but nothing that says "This is the 00s and this is the 10s"

Edited by grim22
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 2

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There was a great article about how nothing actual defines the 2000s onwards in terms of fashion. Stuff you wear now in day to day can be worn in the 2000s without anything seeming out of place. It was a pretty good article and mostly looked at the difference from aesthetic point of view. Like you can't dress like the 90s in any decade apart from the 90s, similarly the 80s, 70s and 60s as well. Post 2000, there's trends which come and go but nothing that says "This is the 00s and this is the 10s"

You're blowing my mind with this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Am bit bearish on BP2, thinking somewhere around 500M at the moment. Will be happy to take 700 obviously.

TGM 625M may happen but 658 653 seems a bit too high.

Before the ticket inflation boom of the last 12 months, I pegged BP2 at a 25% drop from the first (so around $525M.) Now we had to add about 15% to that so I’m at ~$600M. If the Chadwick tribute effect or general cultural zeitgeist can be reached again, I think $660M+ is doable (and that would still be about 20% fewer tickets sold than BP1.)

As for TGM, $625M would only be about 4.5x legs on its 4th weekend. While that’s a lot in a general sense, it looks like TGM should do better, no? Even if it’s “only” $625M though that’s still enough for Top 10 DOM.

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

$7.4m for JWD

Smaller Monday to Tuesday drop than TG2, that seems like that would have been unexpected. Maybe TG2 won't pass JWD in dailies this week (until perhaps Friday if at all this week)?

• Like 1

Just now, Nublar7 said:

Smaller Monday to Tuesday drop than TG2, that seems like that would have been unexpected. Maybe TG2 won't pass JWD in dailies this week (until perhaps Friday if at all this week)?

It is the most inflated movie during this holiday, so it should calm down a bit now. Also, probably people are waiting for IMAX shows this weekend, 

Top Gun getting IMAX back at Regal is good news. FWIW the other PLF screens around me are juggling Lightyear (early afternoon), Elvis (late afternoon/evening), and Jurassic World (last show of the night).

Also I've been looking around and all IMAX/PLF screens are removing their 9:30-10:00 at night shows for Minions next weekend. Bet Top Gun ends up taking their place everywhere to take advantage of 4th of July weekend.