The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Is Lightyear even reaching 300m ww? This isn’t just a flop but a mega bomb

300 was in danger after that opening weekend, 250 million is the number it should be aiming for now, and even thats not certain

its at 104 million after 7 days and itll probably on d+ by mid july

24 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Best 5th weekends of all time in history:

1. Avatar - 42.79M
2. Top Gun: Maverick - ~32M
3. Titanic - 30.01M
4. Frozen - 28.59M
5. Black Panther - 26.65M
6. The Force Awakens - 26.34M
7. The Sixth Sense - 22.89M
8. The Avengers - 20.49M
9. Spider-Man: No Way Home - 20.09M
10. Jumanji: WTTJ - 19.51M

How can anyone call this number disappointing in any sense. If last week wasn't inflated, it'll be looking at -18% or so this week. 

If we had another titanic run, this thread might actually get to 100 pages

31 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Best 5th weekends of all time in history:

1. Avatar - 42.79M
2. Top Gun: Maverick - ~32M
3. Titanic - 30.01M
4. Frozen - 28.59M
5. Black Panther - 26.65M
6. The Force Awakens - 26.34M
7. The Sixth Sense - 22.89M
8. The Avengers - 20.49M
9. Spider-Man: No Way Home - 20.09M
10. Jumanji: WTTJ - 19.51M

How can anyone call this number disappointing in any sense. If last week wasn't inflated, it'll be looking at -18% or so this week. 

do all weekend records after the 6th week belong to titanic? 

edit: all weekend records within reason I mean, dont really care about what happens after the 30th week or so

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

do all weekend records after the 6th week belong to titanic? 

edit: all weekend records within reason I mean, dont really care about what happens after the 30th week or so

the-numbers has this list of several subsequent records but it makes the same stupid mistake BOM does now of including limited release weeks in the count (which skews things majorly):

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/weekend/

When you count wide release weekends only, E.T. started overtaking Titanic's weekend grosses beginning in Week 22.

• Like 4

Can't imagine being disappointed with $30m+ for TGM in fifth weekend. 

This is a nice illustration of its upward trajectory ascending the fastest to milestones rankings with each benchmark:

M4mJxKT.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Going back to the ‘half midnight’ debate…

in the U.K. it’s very common for people to remove ‘past’ when the time is half past any hour.  Not for those that speak like they live at Downton Abbey, but for us common folk….it’s a thing. 

I know some of my brethren will concur @Krissykins @SchumacherFTW

Bored Still Waiting GIF

It's just gone half 8 after all. Innit blud, wagwan! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Some of these takes on Elvis and his apparently irrelevant place in pop culture are....bizarre. He's probably one of the three most famous American cultural figures of the last 100 years along with the two MJs (Jackson and Jordan). Even to people my niece's age, his name is pretty much shorthand for "extremely famous person." Some people in this thread acting like it's the Tennessee Williams biopic and not the biopic of a guy whose merchandise and brand still moves tens of millions each year to new customers.

Or maybe I'm just old now, who knows.

You're not wrong.

On Spotify Elvis playlist This Is Elvis Presley has 900K followers. A lot. Just for comparison This is Madonna has 540K followers, This is Whitney Houston has 490K followers and This is Nicki Minaj has 700K followers.

So his audience is not only 70+ people lol.

This of course doesn't mean a young person  listening to him has to be interested to go to theater, pay a ticket to see 3 hours of movie about his life, cause there are already a lot of movies, documentaries free on youtube, but not only he's a cultural icon but his music is still very popular. Two of his greatest albums are long seller and classics on the Uk album charts. One of them this week is at #39 on the album chart. The only collections upon it are from Queen, Abba, Elton John, Beatles and Micheal Jackson. So people really still stream that stuff. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

If we had another titanic run, this thread might actually get to 100 pages

¡¿100?!  Please, refresh Titanic numbers, is something from another world. Do you know that its higher day was the 58th?  it grossed almost the same in its 9th weekend than in the 1st!!!
Number 1 15!!! weekends in a row, ridiculous drops every week defying all logic, can you imagine how many astonished gif we see every day?
Titanic thread should have 1000 pages at least....

Edited by setna

47 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Going back to the ‘half midnight’ debate…

in the U.K. it’s very common for people to remove ‘past’ when the time is half past any hour.  Not for those that speak like they live at Downton Abbey, but for us common folk….it’s a thing. 

I know some of my brethren will concur @Krissykins @SchumacherFTW

Bored Still Waiting GIF

Haha, yeh I’d just say half too, maybe half 12 instead of half midnight. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Dont have too much hope. Germanys box office is doomed.

What we really need is something like Dreiohrhasen or Kokowääh 3 because seemingly all we Germans care about are BAD comedys!

Kokowääh 2 had 2.75m admissions and was #10 in its year.

Fack Ju Göhte 1-3, Honig im Kopf and das perfekte Geheimnis were all larger.

Maybe you just need to watch (T)Raumschniff Surprise again ;)

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

300 was in danger after that opening weekend, 250 million is the number it should be aiming for now, and even thats not certain

its at 104 million after 7 days and itll probably on d+ by mid july

It won't go on Disney+ until the start of August