Eric Prime

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

1 minute ago, BruiseCruise said:

Yeah I don't agree with Barbie capturing the Zeitgeist, you could put Ryan Gosling in a cowboy outfit for a western movie and it would go viral, doesn't necessarily mean it will due crazy BO numbers, I'm sure barbie will do fine but zeitgeist to me is TGM, Titanic, Star Wars, etc, movies with 4 quad appeal and I don't see that with Barbie

Yeah like... there's still a year to go, and there's no teaser. Very well could just be a fad.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well given all the other live-action remake slop and the money they made, nothing would be surprising.

aladdin, the beauty and the beast and the lion king were almost copies. 

Movie tried to be different like Cruelia, Dumbo, Mulan were less successfull.

Edited by vale9001

7 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Indiana Jones 330? I don't know if kids are there to see a 90 years old man running. But who knows. 

Likely huge hype for Ford's last performance as Indy, likely strong reviews (Mangold is arguably more dialed into what makes these big popcorn movies work right now than Spielberg has been over the past decade), likely riding the wave of legacy sequels for old people (Crystal Skull funny enough came well before this wave), likely the right amount of time after Crystal Skull so that audiences don't have the taste of that one in their mouths, likely the entire weight of the Disney marketing machine behind it for the first time... and 330 would be a 20% drop in admissions from Crystal Skull. So I think it can do it!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

yeah but Little Mermaid is one of the crown jewels of the Disney Renaissance, whereas those other movies kind of weren't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Nolan is a box office god, but i've been nervous of Oppenheimer. I just... don't see it. Feels like a historical Spielberg movie wit even less broad appeal

It's definitely something like Lincoln, but it's not an american president and it's not the 2012 anymore. I really don't see it with over  than 120M domestic.

But it think the movie should cost like around 100M. 

Edited by vale9001

10 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Yeah I don't agree with Barbie capturing the Zeitgeist, you could put Ryan Gosling in a cowboy outfit for a western movie and it would go viral, doesn't necessarily mean it will due crazy BO numbers, I'm sure barbie will do fine but zeitgeist to me is TGM, Titanic, Star Wars, etc, movies with 4 quad appeal and I don't see that with Barbie

The Russo Brothers put him in a gym suite and nobody seems to care. 

Edited by vale9001

Indy 5 will be HUGE if the film delivers. And considering Mangold directs it, who also directed the best superhero movie of all time (imo ofc), i have little doubt about that.

• Like 2

Next November/December looking kind of ehhhhhh, the biggest movies are what, Wonka and Dune (assuming no SW/Star Trek makes it in time). They should move Oppenheimer and get away from summer

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Next November/December looking kind of ehhhhhh, the biggest movies are what, Wonka and Dune (assuming no SW/Star Trek makes it in time). They should move Oppenheimer and get away from summer

Has such a brazen act of rescheduling been done before?

In my opinion Indy 5 will be one of the biggest disappointing blockbuster (in terms of box office) of the decade.

Just my feeling but young people (i mean people under 45) really doesn't care, the previous chapter already played the nostalgia card and the hype is not there. All the promotional material or the news about the movie made really  near to Zero impact.

It's Coming for no more than 650-700M worldwide, as one of the last Pirates of The carribean. Let's see if I'm right.

About Barbie: Nobody has the truth in the pocket. But i feel most people are not like for cats "what it is this trash? I would never see those bad cgi cats singing", people are more like "This seems cringe, and fun and crazy. I could watch it". 

Edited by vale9001

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

They seem gung-ho on keeping it in summer, but I think Indiana Jones would clean up big time as the big December tentpole that year. It would also give a lot of breathing room for what looks to be a super crowded summer.

13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

As already said in other posts, Aladdin, BatB and TLK are top tier as is TLM. Other animated movies you mentioned are known but are not top tier.

That said, trying to be different is not bad itself but these movies didn't improve on the animated movies. Cruella was a resvisionist take like Maleficent. She isn't evil, she's just misunderstood! She didn't want to hurt Sleeping Beauty/puppies, I swear! While such concept has audience, majority of fans of the originals (Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians) brush them off as fanfic. Which they are. 

Mulan's problem was different. The actress was an immediate turn-off. They replaced Mushu - the real star of the original movie - with some bird, phoenix I think. Mulan's hunky love interest was scarpped for fear of #metoo (I'm not joking, that was the official reason). Mulan was no more an eevrywomen but Rey Skywalker (strong with the Chi). Songs were tossed out cause they wanted to make a serious war epic...where Mulan kills the villain by kicking the arrow like a soccer ball. Still wonder why it bombed?