Eric Prime

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

Just now, cannastop said:

They said the same about Star Wars IX.

Huh? Star Was IX was the Reddit written sequel to a modern masterpiece and one of the dumbest examples of filmmaking in history. But I'm not touching that one beyond this post!

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Huh? Star Was IX was the Reddit written sequel to a modern masterpiece and one of the dumbest examples of filmmaking in history. But I'm not touching that one beyond this post!

I know I was just trollin'

28 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

There is a new trend. Movie versions of Broadway versions of movies lol. 

Netflix is releasing Matilda the musical this christmas. And The Colour purple, Mean Girls and Sunset boulevards are in production. 

They all really seem terribile ideas

hairspray was amazing though. Better than the OG movie and the broadway musical imo 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i actually do think wonka has 300+ potential. especially if december stays light and it default becomes the film to see at xmas. being underestimated already.

sure, the thing that has me iffy is that it seems to be an all-and-out musical and the last time I predicted one of those with nostalgia to be the biggest of Christmas, it was Mary Poppins 2 and well uh we know how that went

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

They said the same about Star Wars IX.

Did they? I thought by IX many had already turned on VII and and there was divide on VIII. VIII is definitely considerably more respected overall than Indy V though. Just very divisive. I have faith in Mangold to make something that's at least a noticeable improvement on Indy V. I thought most expected IX to kinda stink even more it released. Or... Be middling. People lost faith in Abrams ability to conclude a story.

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hunger Games triggers too many of my skeptical buttons - skeptical of non-Minions spinoffs, skeptical of non-Star Wars prequels, skeptical of movies that came off reviled last chapters ala Matrix, skeptical of young adult movies in the post YA bubble.

That Twilight sequel with Battison and Oscar-Nom Stewart gonna do 400m in 2027, though. Twilight, Shrek, and Austin Powers the three nostalgia franchises left I can see being revived with real box office results. Though they're running out of time on the Austin Powers window.

Wonka gonna be big league if nothing else competes in December, 100m over both THG prequel and Dune domestically IMO.

Mockingjay Part 2 was not reviled, come on now lol; it was overshadowed by Star Wars and most people who saw it thought it was fine but nothing special

35 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I believe the new Hunger Games has actual Hunger Games in it. That could help it 

and this nails it too. Also, come on Hunger Games is locked to move somewhere if Dune stays on its date. Lionsgate isn't gonna open their only chance at a megablockbuster against Dune 

23 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

SALE IS NOW LIVE!

We have a sale! As you know, during the COVID lockdown year, the box office shutdown and donations to this site plummeted since as a box office forum with no box office to talk about, it makes sense. We manage to weather the storm through advertisements but our donations haven't really picked up even though the box office is back!

So if you like this site, and would like the benefits, I encourage you to donate! 

For the GOLD ACCOUNT ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION, we are offering it at $120 offer! This is a pretty good deal!

But if you only want to get one Month:

Gold Account for $10 for one month instead of $15!

Premium Account for $7.50 for one month instead of $10!

Silver Account for $5 for one month instead of $7.50!

We hope you choose to donate and thank all of you for helping make this the best box office community on the internet!

Quoting this for a new page even if it is also at the top of the page.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Indiana Jones 5 is going to be good because the last one got so much public shit and there's way too many proud and smart people involved in this one to let that happen again. It's a virtual lock for quality, IMO.

Totally. James Mangold is a talented storyteller to begin with and in his own terms, so yeah i think it´s definitely not gonna be an Spielberg copy movie, instead it will be a good movie with it´s own personality that respect what came before without bowing to them. That alone is enough to give this a shot as a valid take.

It´s not like JJ Abrams taking SW when his biggest skill is pick good things and remaking them instead of creating something truly new.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Did they? I thought by IX many had already turned on VII and and there was divide on VIII. VIII is definitely considerably more respected overall than Indy V though. Just very divisive. I have faith in Mangold to make something that's at least a noticeable improvement on Indy V. I thought most expected IX to kinda stink even more it released. Or... Be middling. People lost faith in Abrams ability to conclude a story.

By Indy V you mean IV, right? 4. I thought there were only 4 Indiana Jones movies as of now.

My point is that no matter the talent involved, nothing is guaranteed to be good.

• Like 1

If anything I think Wonka has 300M potential. I just find it weird that Chalamet will be in two giant press tours so close to each other. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

@WrathOfHan @Eric the Minion getting this in before my birthday:

16x:

Lightyear: Encanto Dolby Atmos, The Matrix Resurrections, Nightmare Alley, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, West Side Story Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, The King’s Man, Death on the Nile Dolby, Turning Red, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby, Everything Everywhere All at One Round 3 IMAX, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, The Bad Guys, Downton Abbey: A New Era Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, The Bob’s Burgers Movie

11x:

Thor: Love and Thunder: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Benediction, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Lightyear Round 2, Elvis Dolby

10x:

Minions: The Rise of Gru: The Call of the Wild Dolby, Onward Dolby, The Croods Round 2, The Bad Guys, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Lightyear Round 2

9x:

Nope: The Batman Dolby, Morbius Dolby, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Northman Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 3 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2

7x:

DC League of Super-Pets: The Mitchells vs. the Machines, King Richard, 2022 Animated Shorts, The Bad Guys, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2

6x:

Bullet Train: Morbius Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2

Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, The Bad Guys, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2
Avatar: The Way of Water: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 35mm, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2

5x:

Jurassic World: Dominion: Uncharted Dolby, Ambulance, The Northman Dolby, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby
Elvis: The Batman Dolby, The Northman Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On: Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 2, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Starman 70mm, Geronimo: An American Legend 70mm, Crimes of the Future

4x:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Sing 2 Dolby, Belle Round 2, Morbius Dolby, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Elvis Dolby

3x:

Where the Crawdads Sing: The Lost City Dolby, Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2
Fire of Love: Benediction, Starman 70mm, Geronimo: An American Legend 70mm

2x:

The Comeback Trail: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
The Marvels: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
The Unbreakable Boy: A Journal for Jordan, 2022 Animated Shorts
Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris: Downton Abbey: A New Era Dolby, Benediction
The Black Phone: The Last Duel, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2
Smile: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: The Bad Guys, Lightyear Round 2
Strange World: Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2
Beba: The Matrix 35mm, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 35mm
Black Adam: Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Elvis Dolby 

1x:

The Devil’s Light: Nightmare Alley
Brahmāstra Part One: Shiva: RRR
Adhira: RRR
Brian and Charles: Downton Abbey: A New Era Dolby
Devotion: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby
Official Competition: Benediction
The Menu: Benediction
Mr. Malcolm’s List: Benediction
The Forgiven: Benediction

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 40th Anniversary: Jurassic World Dominion IMAX
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear Dolby
Vengeance: Top Gun: Maverick Round 2
Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, a Song: Crimes of the Future
Apples: Crimes of the Future
Mad God: Flatliners 70mm

Three Thousand Years of Longing: Elvis Dolby
Don’t Worry Darling: Elvis Dolby

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flamengo81 said:

I honestly never understood the concept of a "bad month" for movies. It's all about the movies releasing in the month and not the month itself. There are good months though, like December because of the unique holiday nature of it and exactly the fact that January is completely empty because studios think it's a bad month lol. How ironic...

No, this isn't quite true, and September is probably the worst release period for movies in terms of total potential gross (and entertainment spending more generally). It's the period when everyone has fully shifted back from Summer leisure period to the school/M-F routine**, weekdays are the lowest of any time of the year, plus competition with football (HS/college/pro) on weekends and a new TV season (though that matters less now with streaming). And even if you get through all that, the following month is October, not all that much better, with only one half-observed holiday and being " Halloween season, so another factor drawing people away from movies

**This same effect also applies to January, where basically people spend more liberally during certain months of the year (holidays & summer) and then tighten up wallets after

All-time $110M+ grossers opening in September:

• Shang-Chi
  • It & It Chapter 2
  • The Nun
  • Sully
  • Hotel Transylvania 1 & 2
  • Cloudy w/ Chance of Meatballs 1 & 2

...and that's it.  So you have three horror films from known IP, two family movies that became franchises, a super leggy adult drama, and then Shang-Chi, with great WOM and no bascially no competition, barely legged out any better than Ant-Man and Wasp, which faced three consecutive weekends of at least $100M in new releases

All of that to is not to say that a film can't be successful - especially in terms of OW - but the ceiling is much lower, and if given the choice, not really where you want to be placing a title, so it tends to get the leftovers

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Could Minions 2 and Thor 4’s opening weekends actually be pretty close?

hmm idk. I heard Thor 4 is going to make $150 million 3 day or something like that. Minions 2 is going for... $110 million 3 day?