Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

5 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Hold up....so 29 Million previews but True Friday is 40 Million?   Definitely showing front loaded signs but let's see how the rest of the weekend unfolds.    Looks like "Jurassic" will be the bar.   But I'll give it to Marvel fans, they do rush out and see the film immediately because that 29 Million Preview number is pretty good actually.   So Doctor Strange is now more popular than Thor? Or did it get that "No Way Home" bump. 

MoM had a lot more hype, partially because of NWH but the marketing for it was leagues better than Thor. 

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

It's not sniffing $350m with the WOM it's getting.

Probably $325m-$330m if it ends up with a $140m OW.

I agree to disagree. 
It’s the final big blockbuster of summer and has the next two months to play out. 
Also, JWD had that same argument from a lot of people on its opening weekend, and look where it is at now….

Not to mention many saying MoM wouldn’t come close to 400 million due to bad word of mouth, and yet it handidly beat that.

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1

There are too many projects and it's hard now to follow the process of everything like they did before. I'm not surprised the last projects are not well imagined for the likes of their audience like before. 

3 movies for year is the right thing. 

This tv series thing is too much. If Disney plus wants Marvel contents for D+ they should create series like Agents of Shield. Something there is a true tv series and not another movie but in six parts. 

And it's not only about narrative, Agents of Shield was a tv series also for the budget. When it's cinema you want to see spectacular Cgi, when it's television it's ok to have just good characters and sweet stories.

Now with these high budget series with high level CGI (for televisions standard) people are complaining the CGI on movies is getting worst cause there are too much  hours to create. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

It's not sniffing $350m with the WOM it's getting.

Probably $325m-$330m if it ends up with a $140m OW.

I wouldn't bet on that too much, the rest of the summer is really really empty.  There is nothing to push it off screen and people will go and summer weekdays will boost it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

sounds about right, as now that we are in the thick of July weekdays, a small portion of the weekend audiences will bleed into weekdays instead (as compared to early/mid June).

This should finish close to JWD, so maybe 350? Not bad at all for a Thor film. 

Yeah. Agree. If it opens to 140M+ with summer days even with mixed WoM I'd still expect something between 345M and 375M DOM total. Leaning toward the higher end though. Pretty empty schedule should help it out too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

I agree to disagree. 
It’s the final big blockbuster of summer and has the next two months to play out. 
Also, JWD had that same argument from a lot of people on its opening weekend, and look where it is at now….

Jurassic World has a lot more of a casual audience than Marvel. 

Let's see...I don't think it will hit $350m.

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I wouldn't bet on that too much, the rest of the summer is really really empty.  There is nothing to push it off screen and people will go and summer weekdays will boost it.  

I mean true but Lightyear is an example.

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

There are too many projects and it's hard now to follow the process of everything like they did before. I'm not surprised the last projects are not well imagined for the likes of their audience like before. 

3 movies for year is the right thing. 

This tv series thing is too much. If Disney plus wants Marvel contents for D+ they should create series like Agents of Shield. Something there is a true tv series and not another movie but in six parts. 

And it's not only about narrative, Agents of Shield was a tv series also for the budget. When it's cinema you want to see spectacular Cgi, when it's television it's ok to have just good characters and sweet stories.

Now with these high budget series with high level CGI (for televisions standard) people are complaining the CGI on movies is getting worst cause there are too much  hours to create. 

Six parts movie is D+ content increasing BS that we all rage over. It's the alpha and omega of their assembly line production. Stretch a movie into 6 parts. Call it a series. Announce Season 2. Rinse, repeat. It's faster and less committing than an actual series. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

thor.jpg

So 370M in theatrical rentals (or is it theatrical/PVOD) v. 334M in production + Advertising = +36M - 25.7M Interest/overhead = 15M - 50M Participations = (-35M).

But is P&A exclusively theatrical? This seems possibly close enough to a fudgeable range to claim it plausibly broke even by end of theatrical release. 

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This. Short running time and comedy will work in its favor cause they make it an easy watch. When there's no threatening competition coming, audience that wants to watch something will be satisfied with OK quality rather than save their pennies for some top tier 3-4 months later.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Six parts movie is D+ content increasing BS that we all rage over. It's the alpha and omega of their assembly line production. Stretch a movie into 6 parts. Call it a series. Announce Season 2. Rinse, repeat. It's faster and less committing than an actual series. 

I don't agree. A 6 parts miniseries, with that standard and budget and so connected to the movies for the big screen needs more dedication, attention and energy than a series like Agent Carter or Agents of Shield. 

Edited by vale9001

17 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I don't agree. A 6 parts miniseries, with that standard and budget and so connected to the movies for the big screen needs more dedication, attention and energy than a series like Agent Carter or Agents of Shield. 

but they are not mini series. they are series. all of them save WV are getting second seasons. WV was the only mini. It's easier to churn out 3 short multi-season series than 1 long multi-season series. The point is to have more shows for audience to choose from, hence shortness or, as you say, splitting movies in 6 parts. That's how they inflate D+ content. Instead of 20 episode Walking Dead, they have Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel (6 episodes x 3 = 18 episodes). Boom. D+ gets 3 shows instead of 1. That will get more seasons. It's really a blend between binge format (short season series) and weekly release.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The 6 episode format for Disney has got to stop. It's always the same. A good 3 episodes, then trash  2 episode filler, followed by a good finale. 

39 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

An example of what? 

Lightyear also apart from the PLf debacle OW had ample space with a not too congested calendar, but didn't really leg it out due to not stellar WOM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Lightyear also apart from the PLf debacle OW had ample space with a not too congested calendar, but didn't really leg it out due to not stellar WOM.

Well it's not like Multiverse of Madness or No Way Home were streaming exclusives either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Minions was still coming in two weeks. The biggest thing for Thor to face is either Nope or Bullet Train, which will probably just do 40/110 apiece

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1