Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Families are really missing for disney movies.

I'm blaming Disney plus for Light year result (at least in part) and i'm blaming disney plus for Thor results in the families demo. Dads and mums are already paying for D+ (plus netflix and other adult services for them) so they are saying to their childen "'I'm not gonna spend 50 dollars for the screen, shut the fu.k up, we're gonna wait 45 days". 

I don't really see how Disney+ is now considered a bad thing and given the huge number of subscribers globally, it's not going be shut down and they just become a theatrical only business.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I re-watched Spider-man 1 last December. It is a mediocre movie for today's CBM standard.

Yes it was mind blowing for the time because uptil then CBMs were even worse. 

SM1 and 2 are probably top 15 CBM movies overall for me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Superhero fatigue wouldn't be due to movies. 

The endless content that Marvel now and maybe DC in future will have to feed for Disney+ and HBO Max might end up doing the trick.

Yes that’s true, the streaming glut will hurt way more if what people here are saying about stuff like Moon Knight is a common sentiment. 

i think it's a good opening because as others have said the marketing campaign was very apathetic. it only started like 2 and a half months ago and was pretty much just like "whatever, here's another thor. lap it up you fucking pigs"

• Like 3

Lap it up they did. Kudos to the Thor marketing team. They just open an average at best film to franchise high and 300m WW. That is terrific. You can't expect them to turn crap to gold. They did the best they could with what they had. The final tally is a different story of course. We'll find out how mixed that WoM really is.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

What's this about L&T's opening weekend outgrossing Ragnarok's inflation-adjusted OW?

Ragnarok's ticket price inflation-adjusted opening weekend is clearly ahead of L&T's opening weekend; for it not to be, you'd need L&T's OW average ticket price to be less than 16.5% above Ragnarok's OW ATP, and ticket price inflation from 2019 alone exceeds that, let alone from 2017.

So it's pretty evident that Ragnarok sold more tickets in its opening weekend than L&T. I hope people aren't putting stock into Box Office Mojo's inflation-adjustment calculations, which, as far as I'm aware, are still adjusting the grosses of old movies using a $9.15 average ticket price which is taken from 2019.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Old people have habit to claim that the stuff when they were young was better. 

I am sure in 10 years I will be thinking that 2010s stuff was better than 2030s

Most of the people on this forum saying this are around the same age as you. Like I'm younger than you and I agree with them. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Fuck CGI.

Need a good story & execution. CGI can be as shit as Black Panther 3rd act, it don't matter.

Film is a visual medium. these are blockbusters costing 200 millions of dollars. They're supposed to have new and exciting visual effects and CGI to visualize the universe and adapt the creative source material

And considering you think Spiderman 1 is mediocre, not sure you can even recognize a good story!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think it's a good opening because as others have said the marketing campaign was very apathetic. it only started like 2 and a half months ago and was pretty much just like "whatever, here's another thor. lap it up you fucking pigs"

I'm a bit surprised there was nothing for Black Panther 2 before Thor. That movie feels like it needs all the help it can get. Likely a teaser will come out at SDCC but nothing before their current movie is surprising.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Most of the people on this forum saying this are around the same age as you. Like I'm younger than you and I agree with them. 

I'm also younger than Jatinder. We're entering our late 20s at this point, we can't really say x is an old person thing when we're all getting old

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Critics are influential when it comes to MCU, it's the only franchises this happen but it's a fact. 

Just go on social media, people talk endlessly about the scores, it's ridiculous.

ehh IDK how influential critics really are. it's not like the MCU is a limited market thing until it expands based on buzz.

Insisting having appreciation for older art is strictly and only some "old person thing" is very arrogant and insular thinking. Obviously some people live in the past too fondly, but it's just about respecting and understanding history. Something being old doesn't make it worse and vice versa. There's a reason why many things in the past have had such lasting impression

• Like 5