charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

I only saw bits of the aformentioned Empire discussion, and I agree that harsh words and condescending tones are not a way of moving a discussion forward, but what if it the points he raised were true? It's just feels odd the guy who was actually right gets banned despite the fact that obviously it wasn't the first time things got heated with his involvement adding fuel to the fire.  Like if I call everyone here an idiot who thinks the market fully recovered wouldn't be nice, but would be 100% accurate.  May I suggest a reduced suspension with a warning attached that any personal attack would trigger an automatic lenghtier ban?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, M37 said:

"The vast majority of you have never been through a truly hard work day in your lives."

"Mommy and daddy have taken care of most everything"

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Its all there in black and white, and some of ya'll just don't want to see. Anyway, I'm through with this topic, what's done is done

He’s not entirely wrong though.

And for reference, I’m 31. Square in the middle of one of the demographics he roasted. 

I miss the Wild West days of BOM.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I just hope that Dominion could stabilize a bit after Thors OW. I want to see it top 380M.

It could. Don't know if today's early number is out there yet. Right now, I think it's 35M~ behind JWFK. I assume it'll lost another 2M to 3M in ground to it by Monday. BUT... After that, I think it will stabilize and have the same-ish number the rest of it's run because of the lighter schedule this summer. this instant, I still think probably 375M~ finish. But, 380M~ is definitely still very much a possibility for JWD.

4 minutes ago, parkerthegreat said:

He’s not entirely wrong though.

And for reference, I’m 31. Square in the middle of one of the demographics he roasted. 

I miss the Wild West days of BOM.

I miss the wild west days when EC wasn't around too

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

They banned him because that mess took him up to 10 warning points, it wasn't an isolated incident. For someone that prides himself on doing the research, you don't seem to know how to read. 

thats just it though. How many of those point were unwarranted? Plenty 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

And here's another wake up call for some of you idiots. Saying something like "I think part of the reason why Lifht year failed to find a massive audience is because there's a gay kiss in it" is not gay bashing it's stating an opinion asked why the film failed. Anything that is said here that comes remotely close to being interpreted as gay bashing or not being 100% on board with the gay movement and people get vilified for that as well. There are so many problems at this site.... in fact you know what guys why don't you just go ahead and ban me for life. I don't want to be here anymore but this place is like an addiction cuz I've been on these forums in one way or another for 20 years. Just kick me out lock my account and don't ever let me come back because that would be better for everybody I fucking hate what this place has become I hate the way you guys run it and it's not that the mods are a little bit restrictive as some people say they've gone way way fucking overboard.

tenor.gif?itemid=17709873

• Haha 3

I'm finally at a computer, so now I get to respond to all the remarks here from last night.

1. Just letting people know that while the staff was unanimous on the final decision, I did not decide on EC's suspension, I did not decide the two months, I did not decide his removal of his purple status. If there's somebody you should be yelling at in terms of what was given to EC at the end of the day, it was Cap. She's the chief admin, she's the one who makes the heavy decisions, and so on. (As an aside, don't yell at Cap. And if you feel you really want to argue with her, do it through PM).

2. Having access to early numbers and being pro-theaters does not give you a free pass to treat people however you want. When you reach 10 warning points, you're gone. Doesn't matter if you're a newbie or a veteran who has been around since Day 1. While there are definitely some who we can be harsher to than others, you're still expected to be courteous and respectful towards other users, even if you disagree with them or even dislike them. EmpireCity has not done that. And it isn't because of his personal opinions. This is something we never, ever do for obvious reasons. Rather, the problem with him is his condescending attitude, threats of violence against others, and consistent attacks towards the staff. Re-read that post that got him banned and you can see he was mocking those young people who apparently have everything handed to them on a silver platter. That condescension was unnecessary and cruel and doesn't deserve to be on this forum. And while a lot of users were fine with EC, there were just as many, I'd argue more, who were frustrated and angry over his behavior. That he was allowed to get away with murder because he got to tell us a few hours in advance what Top Gun 2's Wednesday numbers were looking like.

Whether we like it or not, these are against the rules, and if a long-time vet like Blankments or MrPink was doing the exact same thing and racked up 10 points, we would have suspended them no problem. If you can't respect the rules, then you don't deserve to post here. You could have the meaning of life embedded into your brain, but if you can't play nice, you're gone.

3. Speaking of "harsher than others", we're frankly too nice to EmpireCity. After we suspended him last year, the staff now decided, because people loved the guy and his information, that only Cap could deliver warning points to him. We don't do this to any other user here. There was so much support for him to return, which is why we had to remove his prior suspension. We have never, ever done this to anybody before. And it was a tough break for all of us, because we knew that people would be upset no matter what side we took. But since he got to 10 points, and we knew tons of users who were angry and frustrated with EC getting away with this behavior, he had to go. So to everybody who is saying we were being unfair and were out to get him, we were frankly being a lot nicer than usual because of his access. We'll see if we will continue this or not.

4. @baumer don't you worry, you are not getting banned, and so long as you don't break any rules, you're staying here forever. And we hope you stay here, because you're a legend here on the forum. As an aside, @SchumacherFTW, your harassment towards Baumer was absolutely disgusting and unnecessary. Please follow the rules, or you will end up with 10 points soon enough.

5. It's only two months. It may seem like an eternity, but I can assure you that two months will fly by, especially considering we have suspended users for three months, six months, 9 months, even an entire year. This is light work. All I ask is some patience and everything will fly by.

6. I know that the staff is a lot harsher over the past couple of years, and I know that this isn't to everybody's liking. In fact, while I will not speak for everybody, I have tried to be a lot more forgiving on other people and their posts. However, being harsher was a necessity. The forum has always had issues when it came to flame wars, trolls, and fanboys unable to handle criticism over their favorite movies and franchises. And while I understand that people think they add spice and excitement to the forums, there was way too much spice by 2018. The Last Jedi caused way too many flame wars, fanboy and political, to the point that the forum became unreadable for a good part of early 2018. Users like Lordmandeep and Futurist used this Star Wars movie for their own agendas and were the nastiest they have ever been, which is saying quite a lot. All of this over a dumb kids movie.

This continued with Marvel vs. DC fights that got ugly since Day 1, and frankly got worse over the years. If you said you liked BvS or Civil War, you were instantly judged. If you said anything bad about Wonder Woman, you were lynched by DC fans as a hater who was out to get Gal Gadot or whatever. If you said Infinity War was a bad movie, you were lynched by Marvel fans for not understanding how smart Feige's plan was. That's still a thing today, but it was at its worst from 2016-2019. Heaven forbid people say anything bad about these dumb kids movies made by people richer than we will ever be.

This led to a mass exodus of users around 2018. People like Tele, TOG, Chewy, Ethan Hunt, Jandrew, and CJohn disappeared from the forum all together, vets like WrathofHan and Blankments barely ever posted, and so on. Fall of 2018 was frankly pretty darn quiet, and it's easy to understand why. Yes this stuff was always on the forums, but it was clear people were sick of it, especially since social media made this far more prominent and even led to folks like Kellie Marie Tran getting bullied. People's tolerance were done, and around Christmas 2018, everybody was airing their grievances on how terrible the forum has become.

So frankly, if things were still the same, there would be way less users. People would have been fed up and left this place ages ago. And since 2022, many users who were supposedly gone forever returned and are fairly active in posting. Sure you can argue it's because Top Gun 2's a phenomenon and a lot of other interesting box office stories this summer, but I don't think they would have returned if we were as lax as things used to be. Things change all the time, and you have to adapt. And being a lot stricter as mods is something we had to adapt to. Maybe things will be different in the future, but this is what seems to be working at the moment.

7. If this is still not enough to convince some people here, that is fine. And if you still dislike what this forum has become, that's more than fine. But if I can ask something that I have asked many times...if you don't like what this site has become, why are you here? I know that this is the premier destination for box office discussion. I know people here have a long history here and strong friendships with certain users. I know that World of KJ and r/boxoffice isn't everybody's cup of tea. But we don't live in a world where BOT is the only place people can talk about the box office.

Every movie forum I have ever been on has a box office thread at the very least, with users who are passionate and knowledgeable at the box office. There's already tons of specialized forums dedicated to certain franchises and genres for you to go into that is full of insights and box office talk. Everybody has a Twitter account, and I see journalists talking about the box office through tweets. Discord communities are easy to make just for box office talk. You can still hang out with all the BOT friends you have made through these different platforms. And if all else fails, and you don't like any of these options, you can make your own website where you are in control. I know that the costs are expensive, but it's not that expensive to pay for a GoDaddy domain or even just making a Wordpress page. I know that people still think this is wrong and unfair, but sometimes it's needed to make this perspective.

Anyways, we've gone off-topic long enough. I know everybody has hot takes and want to argue with the staff over this and find it unfair, but this is a weekdays thread, so I think we need to focus on the weekday numbers. So if people still want to argue with me or Cap or ZeeSoh or Shawn or WB or anybody else, just talk with us through PMs. EmpireCity will be back on September 11, and we have no plans to get him back earlier, so it's time for us all to move on and focus on what this forum is all about.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, M37 said:

"The vast majority of you have never been through a truly hard work day in your lives."

"Mommy and daddy have taken care of most everything"

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Its all there in black and white, and some of ya'll just don't want to see. Anyway, I'm through with this topic, what's done is done

I rest my case.

If that's what some of you're getting offended at then you truly have no idea how the real world works. How arrogant are you to think that you're going to go through the rest of your life without being offended by what somebody says? Get over yourselves.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I just hope that Dominion could stabilize a bit after Thors OW. I want to see it top 380M.

Will definitely and also Billie ww too with this hitting billion will be third consecutive non disney movie to hit billion.

10 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I only saw bits of the aformentioned Empire discussion, and I agree that harsh words and condescending tones are not a way of moving a discussion forward, but what if it the points he raised were true? It's just feels odd the guy who was actually right gets banned despite the fact that obviously it wasn't the first time things got heated with his involvement adding fuel to the fire.  Like if I call everyone here an idiot who thinks the market fully recovered wouldn't be nice, but would be 100% accurate.  May I suggest a reduced suspension with a warning attached that any personal attack would trigger an automatic lenghtier ban?

yeah. Although I’m betting the accumulation of points included plenty that should have been revoked. 
the consensus these past few hours definitely seems to be that most of us want  him back and can’t understand his ban. 

this ban is detrimental to the community who frequent this thread and those who pay a monthly sub.  We’ve all had our say and I’m not seeing the frequent posters being happy at this ban whatsoever. 

can we have it reviewed please mods? A few of articulated their views perfectly and reasonably.