Grebacio

Weekend Thread (9/22-24) | Weekend Estimates - DWD 19.35, Woman King 11, Avatar 10.5, Barbarian 4.8, See How They Run & Pearl 1.9

I worked the lobby shift at the theater today and had to turn away a bunch of people from R-rated movies like Don’t Worry Darling, Barbarian, and Pearl. A whole bunch of high schoolers coming in and I’m like “can I see your IDs” and they give me a deer in the headlights stare. The rule at my theater is, if someone in the group is younger than 17 then they have to have a parent or guardian that’s at least 21 or older. I felt bad for one dude because his 17th birthday was Friday but I still had to turn him away. Then there was one girl that was on the verge of tears. That’s really funny, there’s a part of Harry Styles’s fanbase that can’t even see the movie he’s headlining… But I think the rise of services like Netflix, places where PG, PG-13, and R films coexist, has desensitized the effect of R rated content, because audiences can just push a button and access an R rated film like that, possibly without even noticing the rating. So I think due to that, there’s a temptation to treat the rating as arbitrary and ignore it. But it’s not arbitrary at my theater, and there were a lot of people getting refunds and exchanging their tickets for something else. I’m suspecting some sneak-ins happened because there’s no way teenagers with tickets for Railway Children were actually seeing Railway Children…

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

But I think the rise of services like Netflix, places where PG, PG-13, and R films coexist, has desensitized the effect of R rated content, because audiences can just push a button and access an R rated film like that, possibly without even noticing the rating. So I think due to that, there’s a temptation to treat the rating as arbitrary and ignore it. 

Blonde next week!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

I worked the lobby shift at the theater today and had to turn away a bunch of people from R-rated movies like Don’t Worry Darling, Barbarian, and Pearl. A whole bunch of high schoolers coming in and I’m like “can I see your IDs” and they give me a deer in the headlights stare. The rule at my theater is, if someone in the group is younger than 17 then they have to have a parent or guardian that’s at least 21 or older. I felt bad for one dude because his 17th birthday was Friday but I still had to turn him away. Then there was one girl that was on the verge of tears. That’s really funny, there’s a part of Harry Styles’s fanbase that can’t even see the movie he’s headlining… But I think the rise of services like Netflix, places where PG, PG-13, and R films coexist, has desensitized the effect of R rated content, because audiences can just push a button and access an R rated film like that, possibly without even noticing the rating. So I think due to that, there’s a temptation to treat the rating as arbitrary and ignore it. But it’s not arbitrary at my theater, and there were a lot of people getting refunds and exchanging their tickets for something else. I’m suspecting some sneak-ins happened because there’s no way teenagers with tickets for Railway Children were actually seeing Railway Children…

In Canada (at least BC), as long as one member of the group is over 17 (or 18 in our case) everyone in that group can go in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

I’m suspecting some sneak-ins happened because there’s no way teenagers with tickets for Railway Children were actually seeing Railway Children…

Oh, at least a solid third of my Don't Worry Darling audience last night looked like they were under 17. There were a few teenagers who looked middle school age hanging out by the box office who were unsuccessful in buying tickets for Don't Worry Darling when I got there, but I'm guessing that with how little business the theater was getting, they simply did not care if the rest of the kiddos at least had the good sense to buy tickets to PG-13 movies and then sneak in.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

In Canada (at least BC), as long as one member of the group is over 17 (or 18 in our case) everyone in that group can go in.

how very french of them

does that mean an 18 year old can sneak a bunch of 12 year olds into dwd?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Harkins SAT

Don't Worry Darling - 9961/73528 (278 showings) $106,835

Probably will add another 50-100. Around 10% drop from yesterday. Better than what pre-sales would have suggested. Around $5.7-5.8M expecting.

Avatar - 6976/44332 (199 showings) $90,000

Brilliant. Around +20% y'day. I didn't expect this much growth. Probably $3.8-4M

18.5-19ish

10ish? Not sure sun drop

Excellent 

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I worked the lobby shift at the theater today and had to turn away a bunch of people from R-rated movies like Don’t Worry Darling, Barbarian, and Pearl. A whole bunch of high schoolers coming in and I’m like “can I see your IDs” and they give me a deer in the headlights stare. The rule at my theater is, if someone in the group is younger than 17 then they have to have a parent or guardian that’s at least 21 or older. I felt bad for one dude because his 17th birthday was Friday but I still had to turn him away. 

boo.

• Like 4

DWD looked to be on average 85% of true Friday today at the theatres I track. With outliers as low as 77% and as high as 129%. But most fell in the mid-80s or 90% give or take. If that holds, it would give roughly a 5.4M Saturday.

Oh and Avatar's pretty much exactly what Charlie said, about 20% increase from yesterday across the board.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I worked the lobby shift at the theater today and had to turn away a bunch of people from R-rated movies like Don’t Worry Darling, Barbarian, and Pearl. A whole bunch of high schoolers coming in and I’m like “can I see your IDs” and they give me a deer in the headlights stare. The rule at my theater is, if someone in the group is younger than 17 then they have to have a parent or guardian that’s at least 21 or older.

It surprises me sometimes when US (I assume that's where you're based) has higher rating restrictions than a lot of other countries. In Australia Don't Worry Darling does not have a rating restriction so anyone can see it.

Mind you, our R rating is R-18. I remember being behind a family (group of three) wanting to see the recent Mortal Kombat film, the father and her older brother were over 18 but she was only 17, so they were refused. R here is restricted only to 18+. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If the Avatar 2 footage at end of the re-release is any indication, Cameron doubters will be eating crow come December

don't forget the doubters!

By the way, there's a very high chance (depending on if it gets IMAX screens again) that Avatar re-release second weekend will out perform the first.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If the Avatar 2 footage at end of the re-release is any indication, Cameron doubters will be eating crow come December

Ya, the footage they show in the end where a bunch of kids swimming underwater is like nothing we have seen before. The combination of 3D effect and VFX realism will touch a whole generation of VFX artist.