Grebacio

Weekend Thread (9/22-24) | Weekend Estimates - DWD 19.35, Woman King 11, Avatar 10.5, Barbarian 4.8, See How They Run & Pearl 1.9

I find this fascinating. Confess, Fletch pulls in $25,000 from 242 locations in its 8th day of release, which brings its grand total to $439K. $439K. What happened here?? Known IP, popular lead, strong reviews (85% RT)... and it doesn't even have a pulse. Is this a day and date on Paramount? It feels even more of an afterthought than See How They Run, which is another film I would have thought well positioned to make some cash in a largely empty marketplace.

Strange times.

2 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

I find this fascinating. Confess, Fletch pulls in $25,000 from 242 locations in its 8th day of release, which brings its grand total to $439K. $439K. What happened here?? Known IP, popular lead, strong reviews (85% RT)... and it doesn't even have a pulse. Is this a day and date on Paramount? It feels even more of an afterthought than See How They Run, which is another film I would have thought well positioned to make some cash in a largely empty marketplace.

Strange times.

It's one of those day-and-date things where you can get it on PVOD right now. Outside of 2021 and the occasional Peacock release, this stuff is typically not given a big theater push even in 250 locations and I think this was always meant to be straight to digital for whatever reason. But theaters need something to play, so 242 locations it is. I'm sure if this came out in 2023, they would have given this a wide release with a big ad campaign to capitalize on TGM's coattails.

• Like 1

Honestly kind of expected for DWD after seeing it. Pretty mediocre movie all things considered, it had its fun moments, but it also kind of leaves a sour taste in your mouth that won’t really lead to great WOM. Disappointing really, the interest was there and the concept was cool enough to turn this into a mini breakout. But sadly the quality just came up short.

Excellent for Barbarian, I love to see it. Hopefully this can finish in the 45M range or so.

And I want to see Woman King make every penny it can. Drop seems pretty decent, but 100M it anything crazy like that is pretty much dead.

It would of been intersting to see what AVATAR would of grossed if the full A2 trailer was with it (it still blows my mind that it isnt), or if they actually told people that A2 footage would be included. Or even if it had been the special edition.

There is a lot of weird decisions surrounding this re-release for me, but at least its doing well ,despite Disneys attempts to derail it lol.

• Knock It Off 1

24 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

That’s just someone who hasn’t seen The Greatest Beer Run Ever

Knowing what we know now about “based on a true story” movies today, I can’t escape the idea that in real life that lead character was probably considered to be a gigantic nuisance.

53 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

but at least [Avatar's] doing well ,despite Disneys attempts to derail it lol.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:39 AM, Eric from Progressive said:

This is gonna be a long three months, huh?

zooey-deschanel-yup.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, for the weekend, about a $55Mish Top 10 DOM and about $65Mish overall DOM?

Really hoping the overall box office starts regaining some strength in October...

I think that from Halloween Ends on the 14th through the rest of the year, the box office starts to feel 'normal' again. HE, Adam, Ticket, Wakanda, Strange World, Glass Onion (for a few lucky folks theatrically), Fablemans, Babylon (limited), Avatar, Puss... that's a lot of diverse and potentially high-quality product. Combine that with some intriguing specialty fare like Banshees (can't wait for that one) and She Said, and I think we have the makings of a really good final quarter.

Just no more variants from Hell, please!!

Edited by A Star is Delayed