Eric Loves Rey

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

2 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

Sorry but 515M is just unacceptable. Sent franchise’s movies into what looks like over half a decade slumber. Failure.

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

515M is still FIVE HUNDRED FIFTEEN MILLIONS. Near 50M admits.

Disney+ shows are doing just fine, Mando is biggest of them all. Not a failure.

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I wonder what our resident Dark Sorcerer feel about this. @Porthos

947462.jpg?b64lines=IFdJTExJRSBIRUFSUyBZ

(Jat is entierly correct, of course)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Is there possibly a "time of year" related reason for Strange World's poor cinemascore? 

On this vein, I wanted to check to see how demographic breakdowns went to compare to Strange World's 57%.

Thanksgiving films: Ralph 2 had 64% over 25, Moana 47% over 25, Coco 59% over 25, Good Dino 49% over 25, Penguins of MAdagascar 58% for the weekend (54 out of 58 under the age of 10)..

Compare this to some random kids animated films - 49% over 25 for the bad guys, 33% for Incredibles 2, Brave at 43%, Zootopia at 44%

This is a terrible dataset to draw from but I really think my hunch has something to it. Does polling the day before thanksgiving tend to capture a smaller kids audience than expected which in turn will pull down inherent advantage kids movies have over normal films (kids love everything and cinemascore provides no context/genre adjustments for user reviews when generating scores)

17 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, here's the Strange World audience - weird demo with Blacks absolutely not going, but Asians showing up in force.  So, another example of GA folks only being able to go and target one movie tops/month (with Blacks, and secondarily Hispanics, having already shown up strong for Wakanda Forever?)

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office-wakanda-forever-strange-world-bones-and-all-timothee-chalamet-thanksgiving-1235180803/

"Men over 25 were dominant at 33%, but hated it at 66%. Women over 25 were next in attendance at 24% but gave it a 90% grade; then men under 25 at 23% and 83% grade and women under 25 at 21% who gave the pic its best grade at 92%. Diversity demos were 47% Caucasian, 25% Asian, 22% Hispanic and 6% Black. Not a flashy recommend at 55%."

The more I see weirdly high (Asian/Native/Other) the more I upgrade the possibility that there's just something off with posttrak's demos post-pandemic. Charlie flagged it's contradicted by MPAA's online poll of people who claim to be moviegoers (2021 MPA theme report).  

On 11/24/2022 at 11:08 AM, interiorgatordecorator said:

So anyone know whats the deal with strang world's verified score?

had never seen such type of audience scores for a fresh movie meant for the general audience

I'm a little late to this (and more data showed worse than expected reception) but I want to flag that kids' verified scores just generically suck as a predictor of cinemascore so they're presumably terrible as a measure of "true" audience reception. Look at say Addams Family or Playmobile or even Space Jam 2 to see films whose scores don't match up at all to cinemascore. It's probably just a demographic effect - "online movie reviewers" are a specific demo of mostly young-ish males and actual kids have different tastes (including being overall more willing to give high grades)

These numbers are depressing

Stay in and watch GOTG xmas special. Seriously. Best Marvel since Endgame for me. So crazy,hartfull and funny that i laughed and cried for 45 min. I never do that.

Fantastic music also. Really. 

10/10 for me

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, fmpro said:

These numbers are depressing

Stay in and watch GOTG xmas special. Seriously. Best Marvel since Endgame for me. So crazy,hartfull and funny that i laughed and cried for 45 min. I never do that.

Fantastic music also. Really. 

10/10 for me

Yeah I'm watching the holiday special later this evening! It looks fun and just what the doctor ordered for anyone who needs a pick me up.

And regarding the numbers, yeah, depressing is the word. Black Panther is eh. Not doing badly but also not doing anything remotely impressive, considering both its strong reception and the absolute dearth of competition or other product, period. Some people don't like to hear it but the MCU is definitely losing some of the GA, given the GA is what props the legs up for these movies.

And the rest of the box office? Not even worth commenting on. Pretty disastrous. I've felt kind of tuned out this week as a result.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, here's the Strange World audience - weird demo with Blacks absolutely not going, but Asians showing up in force.  So, another example of GA folks only being able to go and target one movie tops/month (with Blacks, and secondarily Hispanics, having already shown up strong for Wakanda Forever?)

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office-wakanda-forever-strange-world-bones-and-all-timothee-chalamet-thanksgiving-1235180803/

"Men over 25 were dominant at 33%, but hated it at 66%. Women over 25 were next in attendance at 24% but gave it a 90% grade; then men under 25 at 23% and 83% grade and women under 25 at 21% who gave the pic its best grade at 92%. Diversity demos were 47% Caucasian, 25% Asian, 22% Hispanic and 6% Black. Not a flashy recommend at 55%."

Guilty as charged 

• Haha 1