Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

We also have to take into account that the final World Cup game is this weekend so that will deflate the international number for sure. I think it'll have great legs, people are not in a hurry to watch it and have the entire christmas break

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Not a bad thing honestly. I'd rather have a nice and concise trilogy then a weird 5-film saga. Why 5? What an arbitrary number.

Why? Ive heard that worked very, very, very well for the Fantastic Beasts series.

• Haha 4

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Not a bad thing honestly. I'd rather have a nice and concise trilogy then a weird 5-film saga. Why 5? What an arbitrary number.

He made the story for 5 films so why it's strange? All scripts were written at same time so story and continuation should make sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Actually Jim has plans beyond 5 if the movies are successful and there's a demand

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

In hindsight, Warner probably should have kept Shazam in the December 2022 slot since Avatar 2 isn't the scene stealer Disney wanted it to be.

I expect that if this weekend is to the lower side, Disney will have lost bargaining leverage for Christmas with Avatar 3...since I'm sure they put awful terms for this movie on theaters again.  Here's hoping the legs do come in, just for movie theaters sake, b/c someone floated that Disney put in multi-week terms for the deal...

2 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Let's wait until after Christmas to say that... Don't want you to get burned

Thankyou. I think people forget there are 3 weekends, 8 week days, with 4 of those weekdays being holiday weekdays where the film will be making major dollars. The film could still quite easily be around 500mil by the end of New Years weekend.

20 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

In hindsight, Warner probably should have kept Shazam in the December 2022 slot since Avatar 2 isn't the scene stealer Disney wanted it to be.

It's not like they only delayed Shazam, the same day it was announced Warner delayed Aquaman 2 which was mean to be released at same date that Shazam is now taking, March 17. They probably do some reshoots than just delay because of Avatar. 

Edited by adaros

I don't understand the doom, yes thing aren't looking good but not the end. I remember Frozen 2 was bashed for its $130m OW but F2 basically fuck you all back with that monstruous Thanksgiving second weekend. And remember, that movie even got A- cinemascore! A meh score for an animation. Likewise, TGM $126m opening was big but it was never a crazy huge BO number but 2nd week again steal the show.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Cap, just by looking at the last 1000 pages of the Avatar 2 thread, i think having Avatar 2 "underperform" and then NOT causing the most massive meltdowns in BOT history from 3 users alone would be the definition of impossible.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Meltdowns would definitely bring up the page count (granted you don't ban them xD)

I mean, I’m willing to call the audible, if everyone else is willing to call the audible. Y’all can have your meltdowns, just as long as you’re not personally attacking each other. Whatever It Takes to get to 100 pages!

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

I mean, I’m willing to call the audible, if everyone else is willing to call the audible. Y’all can have your meltdowns, just as long as you’re not personally attacking each other. Whatever It Takes to get to 100 pages!

Can't believe that the sequel to the biggest movie of all time is struggling for a pathetic 16m preview and 130m OW. Cameron should retire, he's clearly lost the touch.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1