Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

18 minutes ago, M37 said:

Here’s the thing: all of bigger openings that legged out exceptionally well - TGM, BP, WW, even (and esp) Avatar - had one thing in common, in that the film was better or something more than audiences had initially expected 

So in later weeks, the audience pool expanded, more people got off the fence or even flipped from out to in, and grosses racked up. OG Avatar set a pretty high standard of quality, in that nothing in the reviews/WOM for Avatwo seems exceptional or way above expectations (could even argue it fell a bit short of where the high bar was set). People basically knew what they were getting, and ~$130M worth chose to go on OW 

Do I think it will leg out better than similar openings at this level? Sure, but topping out at like Hobbit levels of legs. Because there’s really no data to suggest some magical run is brewing, other than the name in the title, and from a much different box office - and social - landscape 13 years ago 

Well, again, my point was not that it *will* equal the original, just that it’s too early to say.

But since you bring this line of argument up, I’m not sure how useful that bolded sentence is in assessing this. First of all, I’m not sure it’s a prerequisite (TFA, Shrek 2?). Secondly, even if it is, I’m not sure the film doesn’t qualify. The film’s visuals (especially in PLF) are just really beyond imagination, & can’t be experienced at home, it’s also tied to an emotional core that I think has broader appeal than the original’s. I think those things could be the “more or better” you’re asking for. Finally, it seems at least as universally loved as the original, which was really well loved, & holding that as a demerit doesn’t make sense to me.

What data would you be looking for to suggest that a magical run is brewing? I wouldn’t know where to start, because this film is so unlike what we usually get.

Edited by LinksterAC

And so it begins. The BO for this movie is setting up perfectly for a long leggy run. The only question is how leggy the run will be. 

However, despite following box office closer than most, the consensus here seems to be that the movie is already disappointing at the BO (from the posts I have read). This movie can notvdisappoint at this stage. You need 2 to 3 weeks worth of data before you can predict if the movie is disappointing.

My gut reaction is the Avatar fans and the Cameron faithful are going to have some fun in a few weeks. How much fun is yet to be determined.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

Maybe cameron should give try doing the alita sequel or another anime adaptation himself, i know he really loves a couple of stuff and has watched and read more than people think 

He should helm Cruise's space project. Maybe he goes to space himself as well. Would be a great thing to do, because the dude would find water where NASA fails to do so lol 

Edited by The Dark Alfred

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Black Panther says hello.  Others probably, as well. 

But for me the Out of Nowhere Saturday Number on top of the better than foreseen Friday is the Gold Standard for "Something Magical Is Developing".

Tbh after day one did ppl think it would end up as high as it did? 

yeah the Saturday is a really good hold and bodes really well for them holiday season. 

7 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

He should helm Cruise's space project. Maybe he goes to space himself as well. Would be a great thing to do, because the dude would find water where NASA fails to do so lol 

The only hope for humanity to advance space exploration at a faster rate. Give Cameron an 1 billion dollar budget and 10 years for a space movie

4 minutes ago, CanadianNaturist said:

Tbh after day one did ppl think it would end up as high as it did? 

yeah the Saturday is a really good hold and bodes really well for them holiday season. 

We don't have a Saturday number yet.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

BTW we as a culture need to stop saying Armageddon is Bay's best work. Like it's great during the first half of the movie, but then once they get on the asteroid, it's an absolute bore. Still on the side of The Rock for 90s Bay goodness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric The Last Airbender said:

BTW we as a culture need to stop saying Armageddon is Bay's best work. Like it's great during the first half of the movie, but then once they get on the asteroid, it's an absolute bore. Still on the side of The Rock for 90s Bay goodness.

Yes, yes and yes. The Rock is awesome.

• Thanks 1