Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

20 minutes ago, danziger said:

The blowback seems to have been very isolated, though, if that article is correct that women's groups weren't condemning the movie. They even quote a president of one of those groups defending the movie 🤢, and only quote one critic having a problem with it (tho I'm sure he wasn't alone). Thankfully things have improved a lot, True Lies would get far more criticism now, but we still have a long way to go.

Let me help you put it in even more context then (was gonna quote one of @Cap's posts but this is a better launching point for my overall point so I'll copy-n-paste it here instead).

To put this section of the movie in the context of 1994 (and to put some of the attitudes in question in context) and why it didn't 'kill the movie' or other things like that...

It would be FIVE MORE YEARS until The Man Show debuted on cable TV.  

I mention The Man Show, as that show (in)famously (as the Wikipedia entry put it) "simultaneously celebrated and lampooned the stereotypical loutish male perspective in a sexually charged, humorous light" which isn't a million miles away from what's going on in True Lies where the audience is (IMO at least) supposed to think that Arnold has lost it and gone completely overboard in unjustifiable ways yet at the same time there is massive exploitation and.... undercurrents of sexual commentary going on.

The Man Show, I would add, lasted five years and launched the careers of several people.

So for something like True Lies to be around five years earlier and, while criticized, not be shunned?  Well, as Cap likes to point out, one can learn an awful lot about  a society by seeing what entertainment was popular at the time.  Not everything, as commentary about the entertainment (and thus context) is harder to find.  But still an awful lot.

Edited by Porthos
reworded a point
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Let me help you put it in even more context then (was gonna quote one of @Cap's posts but this is a better launching point for my overall point so I'll copy-n-paste it here instead).

To put this section of the movie in the context of 1994 (and to put some of the attitudes in question in context) and why it didn't 'kill the movie' or other things like that...

It would be FIVE MORE YEARS until The Man Show debuted on cable TV.  

I mention The Man Show, as that show (in)famously (as the Wikipedia entry put it) "simultaneously celebrated and lampooned the stereotypical loutish male perspective in a sexually charged, humorous light" which isn't a million miles away from what's going on in True Lies where the audience is (IMO at least) supposed to think that Arnold has lost it and gone completely overboard in unjustifiable ways yet at the same time there is massive exploitation and.... undercurrents of sexual commentary going on.

The Man Show, I would add, lasted five years and launched the careers of several people.

So for something like True Lies to be around five years earlier and, while criticized, not be shunned?  Well, as Cap likes to point out, one can learn an awful lot about  a society by seeing what entertainment was popular at the time.  Not everything, as commentary about the entertainment (and thus context) is harder to find.  But still an awful lot.

I mean one of the stars has a Bowl game named after him.

• Like 1

True Lies and The Abyss have been ready to go with 4K transfers and extras for years. The cast of True Lies even took part in a new doc for it. 

Last I recall they were waiting for the final approval on the 4K transfer from JC, but he was too busy with you know what. He’s said this in interviews in recent years. 

I know a French journalist asked him about Abyss last week and he said it’s coming in March, so you’d assume True Lies will be as well. A Cameron 4K blitz, with Titanic obviously coming around then too. 

it’s absolutely crazy we’ve never got HD retail versions of Abyss and True Lies. I’ve got a television broadcast HD version of the latter, but have no idea where my old Abyss DVD is. I’m pretty sure it might not be anamorphic?! 

5 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

A silver account giving me their box office thoughts....

season 6 episode 20 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

The 14x 2022 derby winner is speaking so y’all better listen to this manna from heaven

200.gif

Edited by Korra Legion
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I should clarify: we haven't seen the full weekend yet and people are already saying my club is a lock

Your club is Avatar 1 over Avatar 2. How is someone saying that the club is locked and that Avatar 2 wont pass Avatar 1's 2,8 billion dollars the same as you claiming people are declaring A2 DOA?

I mean I can say A2 will gross only 2.5 billion and still be in your club and still declare it locked but me saying A2 will gross 2.5b doesn't mean I am declaring it DOA. You can say it is premature and that we should wait for a few days sure, but no one is saying A2 is DOA

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Your club is Avatar 1 over Avatar 2. How is someone saying that the club is locked and that Avatar 2 wont pass Avatar 1's 2,8 billion dollars the same as you claiming people are declaring A2 DOA?

I mean I can say A2 will gross only 2.5 billion and still be in your club and still declared it locked but me saying A2 will gross 2.5b doesn't mean I am declaring it DOA.

I worded it poorly. My apologies

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

Alternatively estimates kept falling short because deadline is a low-ball loving joke.

I agree numbers constantly beating ests is a good breakout indicator but preferably beating informed ests ;)

But those daily estimates are informed? It’s not like Anthony is logging into ComScore and entering numbers into a spreadsheet himself, but rather being sourced those figures (it’s their extrapolation from a daily number for which I often take issue, but for TGM Deadline put up a $153M 4-day before Paramount came out their $151 Sun est

Yesterday, we had TFri estimates of $38 (Deadline source), $38-$40 from EC, and (I think) $36 from Charlie, all from the same data (though Charlie’s was later in the day). There’s some nuance/MOE in that process, and maybe their source(s) aren’t as good with it as others, but it’s not an uniformed extrapolation 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I should clarify: we haven't seen the full weekend yet and people are already saying my club is a lock

Yesh because your club *is* a lock, you didn't exactly make a risky one man. It needed basically everything to go perfect to pass A1, covid in China alone locks your club pretty much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

Yesh because your club *is* a lock, you didn't exactly make a risky one man. It needed basically everything to go perfect to pass A1, covid in China alone locks your club pretty much.

I'm going to hold off on declaring victory

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reddroast said:

Because we can read the room. China is going to make less than the original did. Europe as a whole will probably make 60% of the first. DOM likely comes in $150-200M less than the first. WOM is good but it's not "OMG you have to experience this!" good like the 1st one was. There is still plenty of unknown on how much it ends up making, but we're talking arguments in the $1.6-2.2B range, no where near $2.9B+

• Like 2