Eric Furiosa

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

51 minutes ago, GipJo said:

No Way Home is one of the worst movies from Marvel. I'm surprised how people could be so blind by all those nostalgia. It was horrible movie that didn't even feel like a movie. It tells no story with no real character with no emotion weight (other than blindly emotional just because woohoo three spidermans on the same screen melikey).

No need to be bitter about its acclaim and the love it received and deserved for truly fulfilling the wildest dreams of Spider-Man fans. Even if someone has never seen the other Spider-Man movies, No Way Home's story and emotional aspect are pretty universal.

When I first saw it, I was struck at how the 3 Peters perfectly represented the archetypal id, ego and superego concept:

Tom is the Id, younger and driven by impulse and dictated by needs. He wants results fast and will do anything to get what he wants regardless of the consequences.

Andrew is the Ego. He constantly self-deprecates and compares himself to the other Peters. The one in the middle of the Id and the Superego.

Tobey is the Superego. He represents the moral standard and the conscience. His role is perfectly expressed in that scene where he stops a vengeful Tom, the Id, from murdering the man that killed his beloved aunt, reminding him to hold onto his moral values and principles even when it's hard and feels impossible.

No other modern blockbuster has ever captured this interesting concept and I don't even think it was intentional. It just happened naturally and almost serendipitously.

Another universal concept perfectly captured was the theme of brotherhood. The eldest, the middle child and the youngest child could relate to the stereotypical qualities the 3 Peters represented. It was touching how each of them found a brother they never had, even if it was just for a short time. There was a sense of comfort when the older Peters gave the youngest Peter support and reminded him that he wasn't alone. It could be interpreted as a brother supporting you but could also be interpreted as that inner voice inside yourself telling you to go on and keep living (since they are technically the same person).

No Way Home definitely isn't perfect as a movie but it really is unique and special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

this 460M budget is really bad. If you add at least 200M of P&A this really needs 1.3-1.4B to be a success. In my opinion 2B are on the way (and this movir wil have bigger home video sales than usually) but I'm scared even with a great hold of 1.5B for the third movie the saga could be at risk. 

A lot of that $460M is developing the new tech and infrastructure for the series plus all of the production delays. A3 will probably cost $300-350M and should they move forward, A4/A5 probably $275-300M each. None of them will be cheap but the rest of the films definitely won't cost what A2 did. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

An amazing example of how vibrant the thing can be if mod just let people talk the topic they want

I mean we already do. The opening post done for every big weekend encourages off-topic discussion, so long as things don’t go too far or distracts from recent numbers stuff. But nobody ever does off-topic posts anymore until this weekend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

A lot of that $460M is developing the new tech and infrastructure for the series plus all of the production delays. A3 will probably cost $300-350M and should they move forward, A4/A5 probably $275-300M each. None of them will be cheap but the rest of the films definitely won't cost what A2 did. 

Agree, lot of franchises costs included in the tag for the first, but then the problem becomes that the sequels may not make as much as A2 does either …

Edited by M37

4 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

ok but even if the second movie is good the third movie of 5 (and after just 2 years) clearly will have another drop at the box office. No way it's gonna make more than the second. 

Edited by vale9001

Do you all think Hollywood will have to adjust budgets in the future because of streaming, theatrical model getting disrupted and physical movie media not doing the gangbusters it used to do?

Even some indie movies have large budgets these days. 200 million seems to be the floor for almost every blockbuster. Remember when the press made a huge deal about Titanic's budget in 1997? 

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Agree, lot of franchises costs included in the tag for the first, but then the problem becomes that they may not make as much as A2 does either …

Feels like less of a problem here since this is coming out on such bad ER+devastated China. It should be easier for A3 to at the very least be in a similar ballpark as this one esp. since reception is positive.

Though then you could argue maybe A3 won't have the luxury of holding premium screens as long as this one etc. so who knows really? Though it might not be much of a problem with a bigger rush factor.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

ok but even if the second movie is good the third movie of 5 (and after just 2 years) clearly will have another drop at the box office. No way it's gonna make more than the second. 

Nah it can definitely make more if international exchange rates are better and China isn't dealing with any COVID related issues. It will probably drop domestically but it's far too early to make calls about any other market. 

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

I wonder what Disney will do when the time comes in a few months for home release? Make money from it, or put it out for free? 

I actually wonder if Cameron has a deal that they can’t do the latter. 

Both

4k Blu-Ray for physical media enthusiast and streaming on Disney+

8 minutes ago, Royce said:

No need to be bitter about its acclaim and the love it received and deserved for truly fulfilling the wildest dreams of Spider-Man fans. Even if someone has never seen the other Spider-Man movies, No Way Home's story and emotional aspect are pretty universal.

When I first saw it, I was struck at how the 3 Peters perfectly represented the archetypal id, ego and superego concept:

Tom is the Id, younger and driven by impulse and dictated by needs. He wants results fast and will do anything to get what he wants regardless of the consequences.

Andrew is the Ego. He constantly self-deprecates and compares himself to the other Peters. The one in the middle of the Id and the Superego.

Tobey is the Superego. He represents the moral standard and the conscience. His role is perfectly expressed in that scene where he stops a vengeful Tom, the Id, from murdering the man that killed his beloved aunt, reminding him to hold onto his moral values and principles even when it's hard and feels impossible.

No other modern blockbuster has ever captured this interesting concept and I don't even think it was intentional. It just happened naturally and almost serendipitously.

Another universal concept perfectly captured was the theme of brotherhood. The eldest, the middle child and the youngest child could relate to the stereotypical qualities the 3 Peters represented. It was touching how each of them found a brother they never had, even if it was just for a short time. There was a sense of comfort when the older Peters gave the youngest Peter support and reminded him that he wasn't alone. It could be interpreted as a brother supporting you but could also be interpreted as that inner voice inside yourself telling you to go on and keep living (since they are technically the same person).

No Way Home definitely isn't perfect as a movie but it really is unique and special.

Tell @Samand the gang that you are responsible for me going back to my account subscription. This is the BOT content that I come for. Brilliant post. (PS: Also, Cooper accounts don’t get change display usernames anymore? I’m still stuck with my Loki username lol).

Just a heads up for anyone not in the US, there is a massive winter storm sweeping across the nation that will peak right around December 23-25 so don't be surprised if next Friday has a fairly weak boost from Thursday. It may not effect things as much in northern states where they're used to this type of weather but in the south it will essentially grind things to a halt. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Even if you say Disney put 2bil into these sequels with marketing, they should come out with a huge profit if all 4 sequels get made.

A2 1.5-2BIL (still think it will do higher).

A3 - 1.5bil

A4 - 1-1.5bil

A5 - 1-1.5bil.

5bil - 7bil for the whole series of sequels.

And i feel some of those numbers will be higher than that.

Its the reason why i feel 4 and 5 are probably already greenlit. In fact i read that Cameron is sarting to filming again soon (read it online so could be bull).

A3 is obviously happening as its alrady shot, and Weta are half way through the effects.

Edited by stuart360