Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

1 hour ago, XXR Krampus Claus said:

Your Saturday estimate looks good (33-36% drop is my estimate) and Sunday is possible but I don't think the jump will be that high (65-75% increase over Saturday). 

I originally went with 23 but raised it on the assumption that Friday/Saturday was muted enough for a larger increase, but seeing how the Friday still ended up 30%+, I’m not so sure now.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Spears was a teen sensation. Whitney wasn't confined to an age group. Also, nothing tops The Bodyguard taking over the world as a movie and soundtrack. It literally made more $ than freaking Aladdin internationally. 

To be fair that's because from 1990-92 Costner was arguably the biggest movie star in the world.

DANCES WITH WOLVES - $424m (57% international)

ROBIN HOOD - $390m (58% international)

JFK - $210m (66% international)

Even when Costner's career floundered domestically he was still able to post good numbers abroad whereas Houston's other movies did nothing internationally

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I mean I didn’t like Spears’ music and wasn’t the target audience, but I knew who she was. Everyone did. It’s enough to say they were both pop superstars. 

Yes, both were huge household names. Whitney was bigger. We're too close to FreeBritney and Britney fans being loud on Twitter for some people to judge fairly. Waiting to Exhale's opening weekend alone had more (positive) impact on an entire industry than anything Spears ever did, and that's not even Whitney's peak. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Spears was a teen sensation. Whitney wasn't confined to an age group. Also, nothing tops The Bodyguard taking over the world as a movie and soundtrack. It literally made more $ than freaking Aladdin internationally. 

Britney Spears was famous but Whitney was a transcendent talent. She is one of few artists with COUNT THEM… THREE DIAMOND albums. I think Britney has two. Whitney is the only black artist with that honor. She is the only artist with seven consecutive number one hits. Some diminish her accomplishments because of her later years. She appealed to many, and has the top selling gospel album of all time. Plus she made movies. She produced and starred in Cinderella which was at one point the most watched  movie on the ABC network. Whitney crossed over and appealed to the white audience and international audiences. Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think Britney ever appealed to black audiences. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Yes, both were huge household names. Whitney was bigger. We're too close to FreeBritney and Britney fans being loud on Twitter for some people to judge fairly. Waiting to Exhale's opening weekend alone had more (positive) impact on an entire industry than anything Spears ever did, and that's not even Whitney's peak. 

I think it has more to do with how much the internet (and later social media) grew the reach & public awareness of pop stars/singers/entertainers, something Brittany had at peak that Whitney really didn’t 

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

People hate actors nepotism because actors get paid millions of dollars without diploma. They didn't even study for years for the craft, unlike many normal jobs when connections may happen, but most people don't get paid millions to read lines. I mean,  how is it normal for an 18 yo nepo baby to get paid a lot and even more in the future.

Can't. Tell. If. Serious.  😐

I'll say it if no-one else will: Whitney Houston doesn't have a single good song to her name.

Usually with these big pop artists with long careers you can find at the very least one or two standouts amongst the dross (Mariah Carey - Fantasy; Britney Spears - Toxic, Gimme More, Break the Ice; Madonna - Into the Groove, Like a Prayer, many more; Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head, Love at First Sight, more).

With Whitney, there's nothing. All her big hits are forgettable and/or mediocre.

Anyway, I don't think this has anything to do with the performance of the movie, but I wanted to get it off my chest.

• Haha 5
  • ...wtf 4
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 6

On 12/23/2022 at 9:07 AM, Nikostar said:

I mean if we are saying he storm will effect Avatar numbers then wouldn't that be case for the new openers as well

Of course it would. But for the Avatar fanboys NOTHING exists but Avatar.

Edited by dudalb

30 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

To be fair that's because from 1990-92 Costner was arguably the biggest movie star in the world.

DANCES WITH WOLVES - $424m (57% international)

ROBIN HOOD - $390m (58% international)

JFK - $210m (66% international)

Even when Costner's career floundered domestically he was still able to post good numbers abroad whereas Houston's other movies did nothing internationally

Well her other movies mostly targeted black audiences, so I’m not sure they would appeal internationally. Cinderella was a mega hit on tv and has withstood the test of time. I didn’t see Kevin anywhere near that project. Not taking anything away from Kevin. I love him. However, remember he wanted Whitney and only Whitney for The Bodyguard. He waited a whole year for her to finish her tour when he could have easily gone with another actress or star.

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 2

Loving the top picks for Whitney songs. 

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet, so I’ll throw in Love Will Save The Day, a bop. 

It’s Not Right, But It’s Ok, I Have Nothing, Saving All My Love For You, Didn’t We Almost Have It All, Run To You, My Love Is Your Love.

When You Believe with Mariah is great too, and also an Oscar winning song. 

She has so many incredible songs. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, hw64 said:

I'll say it if no-one else will: Whitney Houston doesn't have a single good song to her name.

Usually with these big pop artists with long careers you can find at the very least one or two standouts amongst the dross (Mariah Carey - Fantasy; Britney Spears - Toxic, Gimme More, Break the Ice; Madonna - Into the Groove, Like a Prayer, many more; Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head, Love at First Sight, more).

With Whitney, there's nothing. All her big hits are forgettable and/or mediocre.

Anyway, I don't think this has anything to do with the performance of the movie, but I wanted to get it off my chest.

Fantasy is not better than I’m Your Baby Tonight or I Wanna Dance With Somebody or My Love is Your Love or I’m Every Woman or tons of other songs. 🙄  One Moment in Time, Saving All My Love For You, I Have Nothing, Greatest Love of All, Didn’t We Almost Have it All, You Give Good Love, All The Man That I Need, etc. I don’t even know when to stop… Just say that you are not into Whitney and her music and stop talking nonsense that she doesn’t have a single great or memorable song. 🙄

Edited by wboxoffice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wboxoffice said:

Fantasy is not better than I’m Your Baby Tonight or I Wanna Dance With Somebody or My Love is Your Love or I’m Every Woman or tons of other songs. 🙄  One Moment in Time, Saving All My Love For You, I Have Nothing, Greatest Love of All, Didn’t We Almost Have it All, You Give Good Love, All The Man That I Need, etc. I don’t even know when to stop… Just say that you are not into Whitney and her music and stop talking nonsense that she doesn’t have single great or memorable song. 🙄

They’re probably trolling. It’s so ridiculous that I didn’t even bother with that post. Almost every season of American Idol or The Voice has at least a few come on and attempt to sing a Whitney song. I never hear anyone sing Fantasy or whatever else they mentioned in the post. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so there’s that. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Well her other movies mostly targeted black audiences, so I’m not sure they would appeal internationally. Cinderella was a mega hit on tv and has withstood the test of time. I didn’t see Kevin anywhere near that project. Not taking anything away from Kevin. I love him. However, remember he wanted Whitney and only Whitney for The Bodyguard. He waited a whole year for her to finish her tour when he could have easily gone with another actress or star.

Also the reason why the bodyguard was so huge internationally is in big part because of Whitney’s soundtrack and IWALY.  

Edited by wboxoffice
  • Like 1