XXR vs XXR

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

1 minute ago, Agafin said:

So which one is going to be more difficult to top in the future, Endgame's OW or TFA's third weekend?

opening weekend EASILY, $357m is absurd. It's actually pretty funny it only made $860m off a $357m opening. Everyone here was sure it was going to beat The Force Awakens

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Anti-gravity is happening, just like the king predicted.

thats what happens when you take 13 years to make a movie, you forget were just left things and it takes 2-3 weeks to find them

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed, what worries me is the mid budget movies still struggling 

In long term, relying solely on IP's and sequels is trouble. 

Really hoping next year have more love for original movies.

we need the mid-budget ones to gain a decent percentage. I think everybody accepts they’re probably not going back to what they’d make even a few years ago, but as long as they’re kind of solid then we’re ok. No question them having theatrical releases helps them long term, no matter how they do in theaters. 

Hopefully we’ll get a few sleeper surprises

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Agafin said:

So which one is going to be more difficult to top in the future, Endgame's OW or TFA's third weekend?

I think third weekend. Hard to see a non Christmas movie that beats that for a long long time, and probably needs the same calender configuration as TFA had to be able to beat it. Feels like such a movie, like TFA, would have beaten the OW record as well.

Edited by Dale Cooper

I don't see anything particularly wrong with saying Avatar lags behind other franchises in terms of leaving a strong pop culture mark. But that's because it brings out casual moviegoers that want a visual spectacle around the holidays. They're just not going to be making memes about it or tweeting - they'll shut up and watch it and, at best recommend verbally to others. 

Hell, Top Gun Maverick wasn't being discussed by anyone in my friend group. And I hardly saw it take the Internet by storm with its memes - most discussion was centered on the practical effects and then its performance, rather than idiotic tweets. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar's legagy will be that of a familiar comfort, where everyone knows it's a competent story, told in a visually stunning way, coming out every few Chrtimas seasons, and they all slowly go and see it over a few weeks, as opposed to a fanatic base being created. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1

Potentially increasing in its 3rd weekend after burning off $360M in demand is quite the feat. On the very outside chance that it beats Avatar's 3rd weekend, that might mean 8 straight days of 20M+ (potentially 9 with Monday). I think only TFA and Endgame have done that. 

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I don't see anything particularly wrong with saying Avatar lags behind other franchises in terms of leaving a strong pop culture mark. But that's because it brings out casual moviegoers that want a visual spectacle around the holidays. They're just not going to be making memes about it or tweeting - they'll shut up and watch it and, at best recommend verbally to others. 

Hell, Top Gun Maverick wasn't being discussed by anyone in my friend group. And I hardly saw it take the Internet by storm with its memes - most discussion was centered on the practical effects and then its performance, rather than idiotic tweets. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar's legagy will be that of a familiar comfort, where everyone knows it's a competent story, told in a visually stunning way, coming out every few Chrtimas seasons, and they all slowly go and see it over a few weeks, as opposed to a fanatic base being created. Nothing wrong with that. 

A2 and TGM both performed more like original movies than the franchise superhero/star wars movies.

As for the meme's nonsense, Avatar's online meme is that it has no memes. It's an oxymoron honestly. Once the thought is planted in people mind's it's hard to shake. Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5 could have millions of memes and have the most unique and exciting stories and people will still say "no cultural imapct" or "stories just the same as the last"

I think A3 will see the opening weekend that we thought A2 would have gotten.

49 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

have seen multiple tweets this week from people saying Avatar has no cultural legacy and they're literally just talking about it not having enough memes.

Does it have memes were definitely the standard set by the Siskel’s, Ebert’s and Kael’s of the world.

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

opening weekend EASILY, $357m is absurd. It's actually pretty funny it only made $860m off a $357m opening. Everyone here was sure it was going to beat The Force Awakens

See I actually thought so at first but after thinking a little more, I actually see TFA's third weekend as being quite a bit harder to reach. If a movie opens to $500m and has the same drops as Endgame, it only ends up with an $88m third weekend, still short of the record. Now you'll tell me Endgame was extremely frontloaded, but like, how is any movie going to manage $400m+ OW without being frontloaded?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Agafin said:

They're both extremely difficult (EG +37.3% over 2nd place, TFA +32.5%) but I'm going to say TFA's 3rd is more difficult because it not only requires a major opening, it requires a great calendar set up. The OW record "only" requires one monster weekend but the placement can be essentially anywhere on he calendar. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Astonishing number, 60M is locked. 

Some R1 comparisson would put it at 64M. I think it can do slightly better than that, so 65-66M and an surreal increase over an pretty good second weekend. 

600-650M finish seems like the realistic range now, Nice.

Based on the way this week has gone (daily underestimates by Asgard & a consistently widening gap with RO dailies), my gut says 68M—maybe even flirting with 70M this weekend.

The movie is definitely starting to levitate now.

My gut says TFA's 90m 3rd weekend will be harder to beat. Inflation can catch Endgame's record before that imo.

Unless some odd release schedule gets an expansion in the 3rd weekend that still allows it to be on the chart (don't remember what the specifics are)

12 minutes ago, Agafin said:

See I actually thought so at first but after thinking a little more, I actually see TFA's third weekend as being quite a bit harder to reach. If a movie opens to $500m and has the same drops as Endgame, it only ends up with an $88m third weekend, still short of the record. Now you'll tell me Endgame was extremely frontloaded, but like, how is any movie going to manage $400m+ OW without being frontloaded?

If we look at which is more likely to happen first, the 3rd weekend $90m or the 1st weekend $357m. I think you have to go with the $90m.

Avatar 2 is about to make around $65m on a weekend with New Years Eve on the Sat and New Years on the Sunday. I would say it's lost around $5-7m due to that. So it's true weekend would have been around $70m.

So in my view the fact Avatar 3 exists and is being re-released in 2024 december, and will have a clear 3rd weekend with no new years eve, I think Avatar 3 has a really good shot at doing that $90m 3rd weekend.

And on the otherhand, what has a shot at the $357m? Is it even possible right now.

Edited by IronJimbo

Did not know this existed, got recommended on Youtube (likely because of Avatar's release). It's from Ubisoft so it's definitely gonna have some usual Ubisoft tropes (open world exploration, outposts, climbing things to reveal parts of the map, hunting and collecting animals/plants to craft various things) but I generally like Ubisoft games so excited about this one. Unfortunately no gameplay footage has been revealed till now. 

• Like 1

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

Did not know this existed, got recommended on Youtube (likely because of Avatar's release). It's from Ubisoft so it's definitely gonna have some usual Ubisoft tropes (open world exploration, outposts, climbing things to reveal parts of the map, hunting and collecting animals/plants to craft various things) but I generally like Ubisoft games so excited about this one. Unfortunately no gameplay footage has been revealed till now. 

It's same team that made The Division if that helps. Rumours are that Jim saw the where it was heading and demanded more pushing the release back a year.