XXR & Friends

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

The hype for TFA was insane.

You can't bring back that hype without the OT characters and without the Skywalker Saga.

The hype was supercharged by nostalgia. That will be gone the next time around.

Outside of Avatar 3-5, Secret Wars has the best shot at 2 billion.

SW is predictable in the sense that you starve the GA for a solid decade or so and they’ll be frothing at the mouth again for a new SW saga. That and delivering the quality of TFA in terms of how it pleased the whole fanbase is all that’s needed for another admissions juggernaut in X. Agree the lack of nostalgia with the OT 3 will hurt a bit, but then again $10 says they find a way to incorporate Mark Hamill and “redeem” Luke for the massive chunk of the audience that felt TLJ ruined his character. That alone would make it massive.

There’s also plenty of cameos they can throw in to drum up nostalgia, and by 2030 or so, that will be enough time that some of the ST characters will have developed massive nostalgia of their own. Again, there are ways Disney turns X into a TFA sized behemoth again, they just actually have to be smart with the films for the first time since TFA

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think the long running time will make weekdays be muted starting tomorrow (and weekends will be exceptional) 

600M seems nearly locked, i think the question now is just how well it'll hold and if it does, how higher can it go.

I am thinking 650M now seems a good number. 

• Like 1

I just realised The Menu rise 64% this week. Did the dark comedy from Searchlight actually beat Strange World?

Fabelmans is becoming a mini-GB run but I still can't get why Spielberg never asked for 90 days theatrical window and no PVOD run. Hope there is enough of staying power for this until Jan 24.   

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

SW is predictable in the sense that you starve the GA for a solid decade or so and they’ll be frothing at the mouth again for a new SW saga. That and delivering the quality of TFA in terms of how it pleased the whole fanbase is all that’s needed for another admissions juggernaut in X. Agree the lack of nostalgia with the OT 3 will hurt a bit, but then again $10 says they find a way to incorporate Mark Hamill and “redeem” Luke for the massive chunk of the audience that felt TLJ ruined his character. That alone would make it massive.

There’s also plenty of cameos they can throw in to drum up nostalgia, and by 2030 or so, that will be enough time that some of the ST characters will have developed massive nostalgia of their own. Again, there are ways Disney turns X into a TFA sized behemoth again, they just actually have to be smart with the films for the first time since TFA

While I do agree with this on a general sense, there's a decent argument that if you're pumping out 3+ SW shows a year, the fanbase is not really being starved, is it?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

While I do agree with this on a general sense, there's a decent argument that if you're pumping out 3+ SW shows a year, the fanbase is not really being starved, is it?

Not in the same way no, but yes in the sense of the traditional epic SW film trilogy. That’s what the GA and even fans truly care about when it comes to the franchise, nothing can duplicate the popularity of that. 

Not to mention, I think they should cool it on the shows as well in the latter half of this decade. Give it a solid 5 years or so where new SW media is limited leading into Ep X. They would reap massive rewards from that in the long run. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

SW has been demoted to Disney+, there won't be another decade of "starved GA".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not in the same way no, but yes in the sense of the traditional epic SW film trilogy. That’s what the GA and even fans truly care about when it comes to the franchise, nothing can duplicate the popularity of that. 

Not to mention, I think they should cool it on the shows as well in the latter half of this decade. Give it a solid 5 years or so where new SW media is limited leading into Ep X. They would reap massive rewards from that in the long run. 

I do agree that it can't replicate the feeling of a theatrical trilogy, but it does work against building that feel of being starved and nostalgia, and will definitely erode the potential of SWX IMO (which I still think will be hella big in the US, mind you)

I also do question how much Disney can really cool it given that they are kind of forced to keep feeding the D+ machine, and SW/MCU are the main things feeding it rn

I think if played right X is still the most likely to be the next true admissions monster DOM over the next Avengers films. Phase 4 brought MCU momentum to a screeching halt and I don’t see one phase being nearly enough to repair all of that to the point that Secret/Kang can do anywhere near IW/EG admissions. 

When do kids go back to school in the US? Kids here are off this entire week and then everyone goes back to normal on January the 9th. So at least here in Canada the weekdays should still be huge this week.

21 minutes ago, baumer said:

When do kids go back to school in the US? Kids here are off this entire week and then everyone goes back to normal on January the 9th. So at least here in Canada the weekdays should still be huge this week.

Some started going back as early as tomorrow. Majority should be back by the 9th. 

*forgot today was a fed holiday. 

Edited by Jim Shorts

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

All depends on where and what is required. Here in TX a fraction go back on Wednesday, some more on Thursday and then the rest on Monday. My kiddos go back Wednesday, and we are in one of the early districts (but have 4 day weeks all the time.) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I do agree that it can't replicate the feeling of a theatrical trilogy, but it does work against building that feel of being starved and nostalgia, and will definitely erode the potential of SWX IMO (which I still think will be hella big in the US, mind you)

I also do question how much Disney can really cool it given that they are kind of forced to keep feeding the D+ machine, and SW/MCU are the main things feeding it rn

Haven’t they already been losing their pull by using that strategy though? I don’t think they can beat the D+ SW horse for that much longer without continuing diminishing returns… as I’ve always argued, SW is not a comic book franchise in the sense of lending itself well to constant show after show after show after movie after movie and etc. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eh-just make a CGI fest with de-aged Luke, Han, and Leia (Billie Lourd has already done fill-in work for Leia) and have Thrawn as the main baddie. Throw in characters from D+ shows and BOOM, there you go! People always wanted the trio together for one last romp through the galaxy. Do it. Filoni and Favreau are already most likely planning to do it for D+ anyway, what with all the rumors of Mando, Ahsoka, and Skeleton Crew tie-ins with Thrawn. They've already de-aged Hamil/Luke, with better results the second time and it looks like they are doing the same for Ford in Indy 5.

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Eh-just make a CGI fest with de-aged Luke, Han, and Leia (Billie Lourd has already done fill-in work for Leia) and have Thrawn as the main baddie. Throw in characters from D+ shows and BOOM, there you go! People always wanted the trio together for one last romp through the galaxy. Do it. Filoni and Favreau are already most likely planning to do it for D+ anyway, what with all the rumors of Mando, Ahsoka, and Skeleton Crew tie-ins with Thrawn. They've already de-aged Hamil/Luke, with better results the second time and it looks like they are doing the same for Ford in Indy 5.

I feel like trying to CGI replicate Fisher’s likeness for a whole main role after her passing would come off as tactless and a bit gross to far more than just myself. Not to mention there’s the real chance Ford may not even be with us anymore either once the trilogy gets underway, the man is 80. 

39 minutes ago, baumer said:

Most Jan 3...although some major school systems (usually in Florida) wait til Jan 9...