filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2023

28 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Could this lead to some atypical or unexpected nominees at major awards shows?

"Here's how Jim Caviezel gets nominated for Best Actor..."

But seriously, I think a prolonged strike would affect the release schedule for any hopefuls scheduled to come out from September to December. Even something like Killers of the Flower Moon, which already screened at Cannes, was surely going to have more premieres and profiles and Q&As with the stars closer to its release date, to build hype. Scorsese can still do those things as the director at least; smaller movies that were hoping to ride festival buzz to nominations will be in a much worse position. Maybe titles get pushed and held for a better climate. Most unexpected awards successes get there via heavy campaigning.

Will there even be festivals or awards shows, if no SAG members can come? Media and fans show up to Venice and Telluride to see/talk to stars. If this really goes to December... The Golden Globes were a press conference during the last writers' strike. ABC pays AMPAS millions for a glitzy telecast. They'd move the date before sacrificing their big show, especially if the fall release schedule had thinned out.

• Like 1

Variety reported earlier that there's already whispers going around that the studios are considering possibly removing their movies (whatever they are) from the TIFF slate. Of course, I imagine everyone will wait until August to see where everything stands. If everyone is forced to bow out due to no talent being present than they'll have to work with local productions I guess (or, in a worst case scenario, just cancel the festival this year). 

Killers of the Flower Moon is safe because it already had a glitzy premiere at Cannes and is being touted as a theatrical event that everyone already knows about. Ditto Napoleon (both those Apple productions are getting IMAX screens). Obviously Dune 2 (and anything IP/franchise regardless of being an Oscar player or not, really) is coming out this year too. The Color Purple should be fine too since it's basically IP as well. But I could see something like, say, Dumb Money getting bumped to a later date since they clearly intend to bow it at TIFF and that doesn't seem likely when no one from the starry cast might be there depending on how long this lasts.

The thought of Next Goal Wins being delayed yet again is sending me. That movie really is cursed lmao.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 3:41 PM, SLAM! said:

Picture Predictions (let’s have some fun)

- Barbie
The Boys in the Boat (Clooney directing)

- The Color Purple

- Dune Part Two

- Killers of the Flower Moon

- Maestro

- Napoleon

- Oppenheimer

- Reagan (catnip for older voters)

- Wonka (zeitgeisty blockbuster?)

Edit: If Ferrari makes it to a 2023 release it’ll be my replacement for Reagan

I predict people would actually watch this year if that ended up the race. Probably won’t get nearly that mainstream appealing though. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 4:41 AM, MovieMan89 said:

I predict people would actually watch this year if that ended up the race. Probably won’t get nearly that mainstream appealing though. 

If Spider-Verse makes it in there too, it makes it that much more appealing.

7 hours ago, Bobzaruni said:

If Spider-Verse makes it in there too, it makes it that much more appealing.

Barbie, Killers, Opp, Wonka, Spidey, Dune, Color Purple, maybe even Napoleon… that would unquestionably have to be the most successful group of BP noms from this century. Not that I think all will get in, just saying. 

• Like 1

The festival will announce its full lineup on July 25, and buzz suggests it could include highly anticipated films like Bradley Cooper’s Leonard Bernstein biopic, “Maestro”; Sofia Coppola’s “Priscilla,” about the relationship between Elvis Presley and his wife, Priscilla; and “The Killer,” a David Fincher thriller starring Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton. Those auteurs are at least famous enough to pick up some of the promotional slack, though Cooper might be in a bind as both the director and star of “Maestro,” since any press he does could be seen as flouting SAG’s prohibition.

How the Strikes Will Affect Prestige Fall Films like ‘Maestro’ - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

“TIFF is on,” beamed the Toronto International Film Festival CEO Cameron Bailey to Deadline, “Our dates are the same, the films are coming.”

With a dual strike by the WGA and SAG-AFTRA gripping Hollywood, gray clouds and paranoia from awards strategists have wondered how the fall film festival troika of Toronto, Telluride and Venice will be rocked. Word is, despite an opening of Luca Guadagnino’s Zendaya R-rated romance, Challengers, on the Lido, that Venice will be booking more foreign titles.

Bailey calmly tells us that TIFF’s upcoming line-up of 200+ features, which will outstrip last year’s total when the first phase of programming is unveiled next week, a lineup that’s comprised of the fest’s standard 70% international films and 30% Hollywood/awards season films.

“TIFF Is On”, CEO Says; Fest Hopes For SAG-AFTRA Clearance Of Stars In Indie Pics – Deadline

After seeing Oppenheimer, I don't know if it can go all the way to a Best Picture win. Best Ensemble at SAG maybe, but it's very talky and long, sometimes that doesn't play well on screeners.

OTOH, if a lot of fall hopefuls get pushed to 2024, then it might have an easier path.

The fact they specify wanting to move Dune to 2024 but considering "new dates" for Aquaman and Color Purple suggests they plan on keeping the latter two in this year. You need actors promote these movies, but you also gotta appease theater chains too. Even if the Color Purple cast isn't able to promote it (should this strike somehow still going on by December), arguably the two biggest names involved in the movie (Spielberg and Oprah) can still hype it up without any concerns about receiving the "scab" label.

Dune getting pushed to 2024 would change the whole awards race in major ways. Of course there’s an extra slot for Picture, but now there’s extra slots available for Director, Adapted Screenplay, and all of the techs it would’ve been nominated for. Plus, if Dune isn’t there to win VFX, then what’s winning it instead?

It might be best for DUNE to move to 20124 in terms of its Oscar chances. At this point it's KILLER vs OPPENHEIMER. Of course a lot can change the next few months, but it would be awesome to have Scorsese vs Nolan. So far the locks for BP are imho:

KILLER OF THE FLOWER MOON

OPPENHEIMER

BARBIE

PAST LIVES

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't think Barbie is locked for a BP nom, unless a lot of hopefuls get moved to 2024. For now, I'd say it safely has a screenplay nom and production nom (win?).

I see it pretty likely getting into Picture tbh, feels like an easy pick. I think it's less likely to get something like Director though.