CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

10 minutes ago, YM! said:

Honestly curious if it keeps in tangent with Avatar’s holds, could it top the original?

No reason to believe it can’t top the first run with this kind of performance so far. It’s at least possible. I think the 785 total would still be very very hard though. 

Hope it’s not just wishful thinking, but between A2 doing practically what A1 did, M3gan somehow breaking out and incredible PiB hold as well this weekend, I am starting to feel really good vibes about 2023 box office. Especially since the schedule is PACKED starting summer. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol fucking hell I've been higher on this movie's box office than most people here and its trajectory isn't what I expected. Over 40M again next weekend?

def0dfa7e547d30ddf2778f664aa45c94b551949

Debatable for the 3-day weekend, but definitely likely for the 4-day weekend. I believe next weekend has Martin Luther King Day, so that should help.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Shooting entirely on location, as usual, likely drove the budget up. COVID protocols too in all likelihood (those have inflated the budgets of everything made over the past 2+ years).

Otto's set in Pittsburgh, I doubt it features a big action setpiece at Acrisure Stadium Heinz Field: where'd $50 million go? The Upside cost $37.5 million but has Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston, and Kidman. Pre-Covid but with more stars and shot in Philadelphia, which seems like it'd be more expensive than Pittsburgh. A $35-40 million budget was more what I expected. I'd like to think $50m means the crew got paid better, but knowing the industry...

Will Avatar or M3gan sell more tickets this weekend and how close would the admissions be?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hope it’s not just wishful thinking, but between A2 doing practically what A1 did, M3gan somehow breaking out and incredible PiB hold as well this weekend, I am starting to feel really good vibes about 2023 box office. Especially since the schedule is PACKED starting summer. 

Well I am rooting for Marvel to underpeform at the box office because I am tired of them slaving their VFX artists and spreading themselves too thin

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Reminder: when looking at historical Sundays for this week, previously this was the Wild Card round of NFL playoffs, with 2 games each on Sat & Sun, helping to lower Saturday but also show smaller drops into Sunday 

Last year, with major caveats but the only January regular season NFL finale comp, the median Sunday hold was about -40%, with nothing below -36%. BPWF, a similarly stronger Sat & Sun film, was in the -38% range for its non-holiday Sundays 

Getting to -35% should be considered a win given the circumstances, though certainly potential to dip a bit lower 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Reminder: when looking at historical Sundays for this week, previously this was the Wild Card round of NFL playoffs, with 2 games each on Sat & Sun, helping to lower Saturday but also show smaller drops into Sunday 

Last year, with major caveats but the only January regular season NFL finale comp, the median Sunday hold was about -40%, with nothing below -36%. BPWF, a similarly stronger Sat & Sun film, was in the -38% range for its non-holiday Sundays 

Getting to -35% should be considered a win given the circumstances, though certainly potential to dip a bit lower 

Yup. Huge Saturday bump was expected. Needless to say, came in higher than/high end of expectations. But those 14-15M Sunday predictions will not age well. Sunday night shows have a good chance of dying out. 12.5-13M should be considered a good drop imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tokugennumataka said:

Yup. Huge Saturday bump was expected. Needless to say, came in higher than/high end of expectations. But those 14-15M Sunday predictions will not age well. Sunday night shows have a good chance of dying out. 12.5-13M should be considered a good drop imo. 

I just need 13.2

2 hours ago, Jonan23 said:

Back to the Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are two of my favorite movies. Forrest Gump and Cast Away are also great. But man that motion capture obsession destroyed his career quality wise 

I don't care what people say, but Polar Express was fun and Beowulf was fucking insanely balls to walls awesome.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I don't care what people say, but Polar Express was fun and Beowulf was fucking insanely balls to walls awesome.

I want a remastered Polar Express so badly.

Zemeckis will always be an industry legend, one of the best and most influential to ever do it.

• Like 1