kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

4 hours ago, Eric Bear said:

Frankly, they told a crazy, wacky story in the blandest way possible. If it was a traditional horror movie, it could have been fine. If it was a madcap exploitation throwback, it could have been fine. Even if it just had some characters that were interesting and worth caring about, it could have been fine. But it's so lifeless and dull in its direction and all the characters are forgettable that you don't care what happens whenever the bear is not on screen. And the bear's screentime is pretty darn limited. It's annoying to think about what could have been.

The bear ended up with a lot more screentime than I personally anticipated, given the budget. Can't really complain there. But the characters are definitely forgettable at best, deplorable at worst. Kinda surprised the bear didn't get a couple more kills.

15 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

...where the heck do you play poker lmao

They are all wonderful people and friends of mine but I am a skinny 29 year old who knows these 40ish year old attorneys through politics and so we always joke about it. South Florida is very diverse but the kind of people who play poker on a Saturday night still tend to be a certain type of dude. And the point is, the 40 year old smart but not super culturally connected demographic is going nuts for Cocaine Bear. That's what I call the old 1990s cult classic demographic.

• Like 4

its a record?

https://deadline.com/2023/02/box-office-cocaine-bear-jesus-revolution-ant-man-and-the-wasp-1235269877/

‘Quantumania’ Still Worst Drop For MCU Title, ‘Cocaine Bear’ Still High Now $23M & ‘Jesus Revolution’ Raising $15M+ – Saturday Night Box Office

SATURDAY PM: Quick update — the lower budgeted wide releases continue to rally. Universal’s Elizabeth Banks movie Cocaine Bear stayed solid despite the worst weather in the Los Angeles market for quite some years. The pic was +1% on Saturday with $8.75M and an expected $23M in 2nd place.

Lionsgate’s Jesus Revolution is seeing $4.6M today, +26% against the pic’s actual Friday (less those $3.3M previews) which will get the Jon Erwin-Brent McCorkle directed movie to $15.37M in third, a faith-based win for the studio as it looks to have a better 2023 stateside than they did in 2022.

Disney/Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania in rival estimates is still looking at the worst drop for an MCU title at -70% with $32M after an estimated $14.6M Saturday, +76% for a running total of $167.2M in first place.

• Like 8

You know the Snakes on a Plane producers are probably bitter they made their movie 15 years too late. Today it would have for sure opened in the 20s off of TikTok memes and Twitter brand jokes and be seen as this great success story. (Yes I know that Snakes had higher attendance lol)

• Like 3

I was fully expecting CB to drop noticeably on Saturday and I think I said so upthread. I'm pleasantly surprised it seems to be holding well and could very well clear $20M for the weekend. The movie has some problems but it does some things extremely well, namely the ambulance scene shown in the trailer as well as the performances from Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Margo Martindale, both of whom truly understood the campy absurdity of their roles and the movie. It's fun, mindless trash cinema we don't see much of anymore, M3gan notwithstanding.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I was fully expecting CB to drop noticeably on Saturday and I think I said so upthread. I'm pleasantly surprised it seems to be holding well and could very well clear $20M for the weekend. The movie has some problems but it does some things extremely well, namely the ambulance scene shown in the trailer as well as the performances from Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Margo Martindale, both of whom truly understood the campy absurdity of their roles and the movie. It's fun, mindless trash cinema we don't see much of anymore, M3gan notwithstanding.

Should be guaranteed over 20M given the high estimates, I'd think.

• Like 1

Wow, Cocaine Bear increasing on Saturday. I though it might have had an element of rush out because it was so online. 

Cocaine Bear & Jesus Revolution both way over performing then. Shame about Ant-Man, which will probably steal the headlines with its horrific drop. 

• Like 1

Didn’t Ant-Man and the Wasp have a massive second weekend drop though? Plus Quantumania’s thursday previews started earlier than it’s predecessor I’m betting. Let alone its Sunday was before a holiday. 

I’m not saying AMQ’s drop is anything but poor, but it’s probably not a million miles away from an equivalent drop for this franchise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Didn’t Ant-Man and the Wasp have a massive second weekend drop though? Plus Quantumania’s thursday previews started earlier than it’s predecessor I’m betting. Let alone its Sunday was before a holiday. 

I’m not saying AMQ’s drop is anything but poor, but it’s probably not a million miles away from an equivalent drop for this franchise. 

I think it’s because it’s the worst ever drop for the whole of the MCU 30 films or so, not just Ant-Man. Maybe I’m wrong. 

59 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Ant-Man 2 had 62% drop which is standard for July.

Even accounting for the holiday think it would have done mid to high 90s on a normal weekend and that would still be 66-67ish drop which is still big for this period of the year.

Standard second weekend drops for mcu use to be in the 55-60% drop range pre COVID

Even endgame didn't drop that big coming off a massive ow.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I think it’s because it’s the worst ever drop for the whole of the MCU 30 films or so, not just Ant-Man. Maybe I’m wrong. 

I think you’re right. I’m just saying as a like for like comparison to how the last Ant-Man did, this isn’t that far off. 
I know the last one has summer weekdays too, which is a fair point. But the holiday weekend factor and likely earlier previews can’t just be straight up ignored.