The Wild Eric

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

10 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Feel sorry for anybody who thinks Fast x will underperform. Has this franchise taught you nothing. 

FURIOUS 7: $353M/$1.5B

FATE OF THE FURIOUS: $226M/$1.2B

F9: $173M/$726M

I believe this is what you call a downward trajectory.

(Audiences are going to hate the ending of FAST X and quality-wise I've heard it's just as bad as the last two)

• Like 7
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

(Audiences are going to hate the ending of FAST X and quality-wise I've heard it's just as bad as the last two)

We will see but with how much hype the trailer got and how everything is performing great this year I would not bet against this franchise.  Plus didn’t F9 come out in 2021 as theaters were just starting to open up. Nothing that year performed that well.

Edited by PrinceRico

7 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

We will see but with how much hype the trailer got and how everything is performing great this year I would not bet against this franchise. 

I wouldn't just bet against this movie, I would go all-in.

6 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I wouldn't just bet against this movie, I would go all-in.

Sheesh. It must be pretty bad then...

China might save it, but I have no idea how this will perform there this time around.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

who is the audience for a Barbie movie? It should be small girls but the movie is targeted to adults? What? And hype online does not always equate to general audience interest, and don’t forget Margot Robbie is not a draw 

the audience is women aged 18-50 who also bring their husbands and boyfriends. the hype is big and I don’t think it’s just smoke. of course it will ride on WOM, but Greta Gerwig is very accomplished and I have faith. if it’s good it should have great weekday holds from date nights

Edited by thedude11

19 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I honesty didn't think Fate of the Furious was bad. And F9 was more mediocre than some abomination or anything. 

6 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Sheesh. It must be pretty bad then...

China might save it, but I have no idea how this will perform there this time around.

Agreed it hasn't been that big domestically for a while either and exchange rates are in the toilets. I think it will for sure underperform.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I honesty didn't think Fate of the Furious was bad. And F9 was more mediocre than some abomination or anything. 

Agree. Furious 7 was the best but 5-9 have all been pretty solid. Even critics have them better score than 1-4 which critics seem to hate. The fact that we are even at 10th entry in this franchise pretty impressive. 11 if you include bobs and Shaw. 

32 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Oh my fucking god this thing is #1 for the year NO QUESTION

It'll win by being the only movie this year to have any realistic chances at $1B worldwide. The rest of the slate for the year is either capped by a ceiling way below that mark, or dealing with genre fatigue. A clear runway for Mario to be the biggest and only billion dollar movie of the whole year. And it'll manage to do it with lukewarm reviews. Imagine what it would've done with Spider-Verse/Puss 2-level critical hype.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

wowza!!

As an 80's baby, I must say this was the Mario Film we've been waiting for.   We still watched the 93 film because that's what we had.   But this film is hitting all the right Nostalgic notes from the trailers and ads.   I don't know what critics were expecting because fans just wanted a movie faithful to the video games.   Looking like that what Nintendo and Illumination did here.    Also the 5 Day opening will spread out demand as well.   But 32 on a Wednesday opening in April is huge especially post Pandemic.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This is sure as hell not reaching anywhere near a billion anymore. And a Rotten rating is basically a kiss of death in this day and age of a massive gluttony of entertainment options. Just look at Shazam 2.

10 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It'll win by being the only movie this year to have any realistic chances at $1B worldwide. T

fastest change of mind

• Haha 15
  • Astonished 1

21 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It'll win by being the only movie this year to have any realistic chances at $1B worldwide. The rest of the slate for the year is either capped by a ceiling way below that mark, or dealing with genre fatigue. A clear runway for Mario to be the biggest and only billion dollar movie of the whole year. And it'll manage to do it with lukewarm reviews. Imagine what it would've done with Spider-Verse/Puss 2-level critical hype.

I assure you my audience that consisted of mostly 5 year olds does not care about critical reviews.