Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Typo. Sorry. 58.8m. I am getting too old now for sure 🙂

Well good, I don’t have to start the over TFA watch. I simply didn’t have the energy for that. Adele Dazeem can go back to Idina Menzel, all is going smoothly. 

• Like 1

Detective Pikachu is a movie you make after making three other Pokémon origin stories. Choosing that first to establish the franchise on the big screen was a mistake imo. Pokémon absolutely have broad appeal, both to kids and adults, just not for this spin-off.

Detective Pikachu, a noir buddy cop movie starring R-rated Deadpool actor Ryan Reynolds, confused a lot of families. They did not go see that movie. Also, the trailers made it seem more adult than it is, so people expecting a more adult tone left the theater disappointed because it’s a kids movie and the people that were supposed to see it (families) did not go as stated by the reason above.

Spoiler

Also, for the movie itself, I liked it overall, but I didn’t enjoy the dialogue very much (and the ableist leaning narrative). It suffered from a bad case of exposition trying to explain the series concepts. It felt very much like a shonen anime with too much talking and explaining. This wouldn’t be a big problem if there were other movies establishing the concepts beforehand. I also thought the actors were about 3–5 years too old. The dialogue doesn’t sound like someone of that age talking, but rather younger. I hope that makes sense. Another big problem is that the Pokémon designs were not my favorites. They should’ve kept the iconic designs instead of changing them to look more realistic. The movie needed to be more bright and colorful in general. It is very much a WB production (Harry Potter, DC, etc. all had that grimy look), and that doesn’t really fit Pokémon. Pokémon is about exploring the green grass, the blue sky, and the sea. A color palette like Moana would fit very well.

moana-baby-venturing-into-the-sea.jpg

Mario is a very faithful adaptation, retaining all the iconic visual designs and the narrative beats of the main series.

Spoiler

As for the pop songs, the series was already heading in that direction by having vocal tracks. Super Mario Odyssey (the latest mainline game) had pop songs, albeit originals written specifically for the game. So yes, the movie is very faithful.

Edited by OceanBlvd
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Can I know just what is special about VN that Universal keep it in theater for 19 weeks? they even add a theater to its run this weekend. 

- (-) Violent Night Universal $1,000 +257% -42% 25 $40 $50,051,835 127

I try not to dump on many movies but this was a cluster duck of epic proportions imo

Edited by screambaby

11 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Why did Japan lose interest in Hollywood movies and when did it happen?

During COVID. But really a big part of it has just been Disney fucking up the market. They were the biggest import distributor and they couldn't get anything right. Trying to get a bigger share of profits from theaters+short d+ windows got them boycotted by the busiest theater chain in the market for a while (this was around the time Raya was coming out and completely tanked as a result iirc), d+ completely nukes their releases in a market completely centered around legs (theater completely drop their films after a month if they try to put them on d+ quickly) and so on.

After DS owned the BO anime has been taking over the jp BO completely. That isn't to say hollywood can't do well though, but they have to appeal to the market. There just aren't any new stars from hollywood in Japan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has been a fun weekend, but I hope everybody here will have an even better time off the forum today and enjoy Easter Sunday/Passover/Ramadan festivities. And if you're not celebrating, just enjoy a lazy and safe Sunday. Beware of any jelly beans though. You never know where they may come from.

EdibleFlamboyantIvorygull-max-1mb.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

During COVID. But really a big part of it has just been Disney fucking up the market. They were the biggest import distributor and they couldn't get anything right. Trying to get a bigger share of profits from theaters+short d+ windows got them boycotted by the busiest theater chain in the market for a while (this was around the time Raya was coming out and completely tanked as a result iirc), d+ completely nukes their releases in a market completely centered around legs (theater completely drop their films after a month if they try to put them on d+ quickly) and so on.

After DS owned the BO anime has been taking over the jp BO completely. That isn't to say hollywood can't do well though, but they have to appeal to the market. There just aren't any new stars from hollywood in Japan.

Disney should just continue what they're doing with Avatar 2. Keep certain films (anything with major blockbuster potential) from going to streaming on Disney+ for at least 4 months. If people want to watch these films for free, they can afford to wait a while. It's bad enough that Disney+ already crippled their Blu-ray/DVD sales.

• Thanks 1