The Wild Eric

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

2 hours ago, screambaby said:

Not as big as shaazam

Still too early to write off D&D, the drop honestly could have been worse, WOM is good and Par won’t give up on the IP, there’s still a franchise here, they know they got unlucky.

43 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Still too early to write off D&D, the drop honestly could have been worse, WOM is good and Par won’t give up on the IP, there’s still a franchise here, they know they got unlucky.

If it's lucky it will get to a 100 domestic that's great when your budget is 33 million (like scream 6) but the budget here s a 150 million.

Non-Hollywood Top Animated Film

1. Beijing Enlight Pictures' "Ne Zha" (China, 2019) - $746M
  2. Aniplex/Ufotable's "Demon Slayer: Mugen Train" (Japan, 2020) - $519M
  3. Studio Ghibli's "Spirited Away" (Japan, 2001) - $413M
  4. CoMix Wave Film's "Your Name" (Japan, 2016) - $390M
  5. VP Picture's "Happy Feet" (Australia, 2006) - $385M
  6. Rovio's "Angry Birds" (Finland, 2016) - $353M
  7. CoMix Wave Film's "Suzume's Locking-Up" (Japan, 2022) - $264M
  8. MAPPA's "Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0" (Japan, 2021) - $259M
  9. Toei's "One Piece: Film Red" (Japan, 2022) - $249M
  10. Beijing Enlight Pictures' "Legend of Deification" (China, 2020) - $246M
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, screambaby said:

Not as big as shaazam

But Paramount did spend a lot more on marketing for D&D it seems...

WB didnt seem to spend a lot of money or effort for Shazam.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

Looks like Dungeons & Dragons is going to top out around $200-250m worldwide. I think it’s safe to call it a flop now unfortunately. 

Air had a solid opening, but again it’s production budget alone is huge ($70-90m). 

Mario numbers are just crazy! Seeing it today. 

• Like 1

Is it to early to predict that Mario’s opening record will be surpassed by Shrek 5?

I do think it’s clear that Shrek has become much more ingrained in pop-culture over the past 5 years (after waning starting with S3 in ‘07), as those who grew up with the franchise are now in their nostalgia phases, younger generations have gotten familiar with the characters. I think the pandemic played a big part, with people returning to their favorite childhood properties.

The unexpected critical and commercial success of PiB2 also plays into it. If S5 can match the quality of the first two and PiB2, I sense the next animation record holder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

But Paramount did spend a lot more on marketing for D&D it seems...

WB didnt seem to spend a lot of money or effort for Shazam.

Oh it's a flop no doubt and maybe even a bigger one budget wise but I guess maybe I had higher expectations for shaazam given its predecessor compared to dungeon and dragons.

Not that it will, but it would be hilarious if Illumination beat Illumination for the year.  An Aquabro quality disaster could lead to all Christmas money flowing to one bird movie that will again have all of January and February to probably keep accumulating...

I'm just sayin:)... (of course, I'm expecting Sing 2 numbers for Migration, but you know what they say about assuming)...

16 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Oh it's a flop no doubt and maybe even a bigger one budget wise but I guess maybe I had higher expectations for shaazam given its predecessor compared to dungeon and dragons.

That is how we determine flops:).

Now underperformers can be flops, disappointments, or money makers.

But flops are all about the money, and barring a nice ending leg situation, DnD might edge Shazam b/c of the upfront spending...

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not that it will, but it would be hilarious if Illumination beat Illumination for the year.  An Aquabro quality disaster could lead to all Christmas money flowing to one bird movie that will again have all of January and February to probably keep accumulating...

I'm just sayin:)... (of course, I'm expecting Sing 2 numbers for Migration, but you know what they say about assuming)...

I know you have questionable tastes in movies but you do realise that December has more than just Aquaman. Wonka is released the week before and that is meant to be very good. 

• ...wtf 1

26 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Is it to early to predict that Mario’s opening record will be surpassed by Shrek 5?

I do think it’s clear that Shrek has become much more ingrained in pop-culture over the past 5 years (after waning starting with S3 in ‘07), as those who grew up with the franchise are now in their nostalgia phases, younger generations have gotten familiar with the characters. I think the pandemic played a big part, with people returning to their favorite childhood properties.

The unexpected critical and commercial success of PiB2 also plays into it. If S5 can match the quality of the first two and PiB2, I sense the next animation record holder.

I don't think Shrek is strong enough outside North America to give the kind of numbers needed to break the worldwide animated opening record held by Mario. But Shrek 5 has a shot at beating the domestic animated opening record held by Incredibles 2 for sure if the quality is there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If Shrek 5 comes out in the near future and if it is as good of a movie as Shrek 1 and 2 - then that one will be a 200M+ Opener easily.

Shrek 5 is a monster just waiting to be unleashed.

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I know you have questionable tastes in movies but you do realise that December has more than just Aquaman. Wonka is released the week before and that is meant to be very good. 

I'm sure it will be good.  But theaters will set Dec 25 onward now for a certain Minion-branded company after this movie and Minions...Migration will get Pixar-of-old sets for the holidays weeks b/c they've now proven over the last 3 movies they deserve it.

And who wants to bet against Illumination on the very next huge movie going holiday, especially when they don't charge theaters overwhelming revenue takes and they can fit 5 runs of their movies per screen...

PS - And I am now proud to wear the "questionable tastes in movies" icon:).  I actually prefer to call my tastes GA-flavored, but I can roll with this, too.  Now, to see if I can add it to my sig line somehow...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1