Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

4 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

I doubt a deal with SAG will take that long now, given that the less powerful union was able to bounce the AMPTP into a deal.

Depends on how accepting the sag is off the terms of the wga contract, sag for example was looking for 2 percent of revenue and an 11 percent increase in minimums in the first year, sag also seems far more militant in getting the deal, as much as I want this to be over I can see a world where the sag strike lasts until December.

Sag have been a lot more vocal in their condemnation of amptp whereas with the wga you barely heard a thing, so it depends on how willing the sag is for the compromises of the wga.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Umm, scabbing is scabbing in its various forms. Barrymore's critics were completely justified in dragging her. Of course, social media being social media, I'm sure trolls overdid it but that is the case for every issue on the planet. People who brought up valid concerns were completely in the right. It isn't just "for the fun of it" when people's livelihoods are in danger of being erased. 

Also why would soulless execs give a fuck about Drew lol

Her initial defense was poorly-worded but she was only an easy target as an outlet for anger only because she is so famous. Ultimately the show decided to hold off on returning (not for long lol), but anyone who believes she should be cancelled is only here for The Drama under the guise of caring about a cause. 

That kind of backlash should only be reserved for an actual scab like Bill Maher, who boasts about how he's above it all and was fully ready to go back on the air as a middle finger to those Hollywood Elites only to back out at the last minute after everyone else already did. Coward. 

36 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

Depends on how accepting the sag is off the terms of the wga contract, sag for example was looking for 2 percent of revenue and an 11 percent increase in minimums in the first year, sag also seems far more militant in getting the deal, as much as I want this to be over I can see a world where the sag strike lasts until December.

Sag have been a lot more vocal in their condemnation of amptp whereas with the wga you barely heard a thing, so it depends on how willing the sag is for the compromises of the wga.

SAG won't get everything they want and being the lone standout means there will be pressure to get something done. 

11% increase won't happen but I think they'd accept something close to it.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Her initial defense was poorly-worded but she was only an easy target as an outlet for anger only because she is so famous.

And because she has the image of a meek, sensitive woman who can easily be bullied. People would've more forcefully gone after Maher if they truly cared about "people's livelihoods" more than chasing whatever scandal is trending. In hindsight it's clear that he only eventually caved because they had a deal in the works.

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

And because she has the image of a meek, sensitive woman who can easily be bullied. People would've more forcefully gone after Maher if they truly cared about "people's livelihoods" more than chasing whatever scandal is trending. In hindsight it's clear that he only eventually caved because they had a deal in the works.

I do think social media brings out the worse in people but it does surprise how people in the public eye don't think before they post something. 

• Community Manager
10 hours ago, 21C said:

Yeah I kinda wouldn't be surprised if SAG is maybe a bit pissed at the WGA right now because in a way they absolutely screwed over SAG's potential residual scheme. 

WGA revealed what they asked for in percentages from the start, what AMPTP offered, and AMPTP met them in the middle. That's how a compromise works and probably what the WGA expected to actually get from the start. WGA was never asking what SAG was largely because they knew they could never get it. Maybe SAG can.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

You think SAG is pissed that the WGA strike succeeded?

I think 21C means SAG could be a bit pissed about WGA compromising in certain aspects (like residuals).

One actor mentioned his issues with the WGA deal (although I wouldn't say he is really angry):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/opinion-heres-where-wga-deal-201852623.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIvw2xonCZlogjqiPY6SQlBoSe9G8l2E3093t8kSwUGDzNk21CgavGD8FDma4czY_uaNJGBWntGVKwp5BGf7aSQYkF1TUZe82v0QOlRk2nDClCvNwlLsueLqnPRGiyI1HwE9OPQNgf_Cd179nLESytfrpNXBxzlcWwDcwxqSQnfd

Edited by Kon

3 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

WGA revealed what they asked for in percentages from the start, what AMPTP offered, and AMPTP met them in the middle. That's how a compromise works and probably what the WGA expected to actually get from the start. WGA was never asking what SAG was largely because they knew they could never get it. Maybe SAG can.

Sag in no way can get 2 percent of revenue shared  ever.

3 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Then the SAG strike won't end as soon as we hope, because the AMPTP will probably offer them something similar to what they offered the WGA. 

Edited by 21C

1 hour ago, 21C said:

Then the SAG strike won't end as soon as we hope, because the AMPTP will probably offer them something similar to what they offered the WGA. 

I think people were hopeful SAG’s strike would get resolved with a carbon copy of the WGA’s deal, but we’re seeing a lot of indications it won’t be that easy.

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Squire said:

I think people were hopeful SAG’s strike would get resolved with a carbon copy of the WGA’s deal, but we’re seeing a lot of indications it won’t be that easy.

It was never going to be that easy. But MAYBE it does show AMPTP is more willing to actually listen to what SAG is asking for and why now which would lead the road to a good deal for SAG. 

• Like 2