Issac Newton

Weekend Thread 19-21/05 | Fast X $67.5M

3 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

Basically a redux of Pirates 5 where its domestic is fine in a vaccuum but bad for the franchise history, but still a sensation overseas. Which I guess that's enough for Part 2 to happen? Who knows?

Funny because meanwhile they didn't announce it as a two parts story Pirates 6 was set up in the post-credits and could have an opportunity at getting some audience back by being the actual legacy sequel to At the World's End and well we know what happened...not the same as what would be if Fast X Part 2 gets cancelled but still. 

15 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

Basically a redux of Pirates 5 where its domestic is fine in a vaccuum but bad for the franchise history, but still a sensation overseas. Which I guess that's enough for Part 2 to happen? Who knows?

Seems apt

notably potc was then sent to development hell

31 minutes ago, Legions of the Galaxy said:

Seems apt

notably potc was then sent to development hell

I mean last I checked, Vin Diesel isn't a sexist, abusive fuckhead who was already impossible to work with for years, but just a goofy egotist. That makes it very likely he won't be caught in some gross scandal...I hope.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 4
  • Knock It Off 7

2 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

I mean last I checked, Vin Diesel isn't a sexist, abusive fuckhead who was already impossible to work with for years, but just a goofy egotist. That makes it very likely he won't be caught in some gross scandal...I hope.

Pretty much everything i've seen from people who are youtube personality's points to heard as the more abusive of the two....

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 6

"Hobbs and Shaw" and "Fast 9" both did over 700 WW so that should be the floor for "Fast X".  I want to be more optimistic but it seems they may have spent to much budget wise on "Fast X".  When I saw that 340 number I figured it was for Fast X part 1 and 2 but when I saw it was just for part 1 I was like What?  I'm sorry but that's damn near 400 Million when only Two Fast Films even crossed a Billion.   It's a huge franchise no doubt but that's a lot to break even.  They should probably scale the budget down for Fast X part 2.    Also If this comes under "John Wick 4" that would be surprising for me.   

"John Wick 4" is R-rated, this is PG13 and a way bigger fanbase domestically and internationally.   But in the end overseas may saved the day.   They always do gangbusters internationally.    But Summer Box office is definitely back in full effect for the first time in years it feels like.  We've got some heavy hitters dropping every week for the next 8 weeks.   Let's see who rises to the top.    Lastly, I wasn't too hot on "GOTG 3" opening  but it has surprised me with these holds domestically.  It is catching up to "Thor 4" and surpassed "AM3" so that's much better than when it started.     Let's see how it holds against "Fast X".   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

Actually in 2016 Vin Diesel came to Brazil and did a very uncomfortable interview with a lady about a movie and said a lot of times how she was sexy etc and she clearly didn’t know how to react 

She was highly attacked by his fans when she said it was a sexist interaction and how bad she felt. I vaguely remember he said something very obtuse a few days later like “sorry if you’re offended”.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

:ohmygod:

My showing ended an hour ago, and honestly... I fucking loved it. Massive improvement over F9 and a step in the right direction for me. It doesn't live up to the incredible 5-7 run, but I'm very pleased with it. I'm honestly excited now to see what comes next. Every showing in my local mall theater where I went to see the movie was packed as all hell in a way not seen in my country since No Way Home. I'm honestly wondering if it can break the opening weekend admission record for the franchise and reach the 1M admit mark in its three day opening. Let's see what happens on Monday.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Actually in 2016 Vin Diesel came to Brazil and did a very uncomfortable interview with a lady about a movie and said a lot of times how she was sexy etc and she clearly didn’t know how to react 

She was highly attacked by his fans when she said it was a sexist interaction and how bad she felt. I vaguely remember he said something very obtuse a few days later like “sorry if you’re offended”.

...why are men like this Jesus Christ 🙄

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

MODERATION

Keep this in the Johnny Depp thread

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 14
  • Astonished 3

20 minutes ago, Avatree said:

how is 60-70m "OK" by any metric? F&F 9 did 70M in the middle of covid......

Fair point.  Here's all the opening Weekends for the Franchise:

1 Furious 7 $353,007,020 4,022 $147,187,040 4,004 Apr 3, 2015 Universal Pictures
2 Fast & Furious 6 $238,679,850 3,771 $97,375,245 3,658 May 24, 2013 Universal Pictures
3 The Fate of the Furious $226,008,385 4,329 $98,786,705 4,310 Apr 14, 2017 Universal Pictures
4 Fast Five $209,837,675 3,793 $86,198,765 3,644 Apr 29, 2011 Universal Pictures
5 Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw $173,956,935 4,344 $60,038,950 4,253 Aug 2, 2019 Universal Pictures
6 F9: The Fast Saga $173,005,945 4,203 $70,043,165 4,179 Jun 25, 2021 Universal Pictures
7 Fast & Furious $155,064,265 3,674 $70,950,500 3,461 Apr 3, 2009 Universal Pictures
8 The Fast and the Furious $144,533,925 2,899 $40,089,015 2,628 Jun 22, 2001 Universal Pictures
9 2 Fast 2 Furious $127,154,901 3,418 $50,472,480 3,408 Jun 6, 2003 Universal Pictures
10 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift $62,514,415 3,030 $23,973,840 3,027 Jun 16, 2006 Universal Pictures

I guess I wasn't expecting it to reach "Fast 6, 7 or 8" levels.  But like I said, Definitely over "Hobbs and Shaw" and "F9".  So I was hoping for more like 80-85 Million.  Somewhere around I guess "Fast 5" would have been nice.  That shouldn't have been that hard right?  I guess it's much more competition this time around domestically. 

Seriously, can we all just leave the Depp/Heard shit ALONE, or at least in whatever hellhole of the thread it belongs in? I spent that entire trial dealing with staff wanting to make HR complaints because "their coworkers weren't on team Depp" or "their coworkers weren't on team Heard". It's a court case, that NONE of us have all the facts to, so why don't we all just let it go instead of bringing it up again and again as though any of us are experts on the matter?

Jeez.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Seriously, can we all just leave the Depp/Heard shit ALONE, or at least in whatever hellhole of the thread it belongs in? I spent that entire trial dealing with staff wanting to make HR complaints because "their coworkers weren't on team Depp" or "their coworkers weren't on team Heard". It's a court case, that NONE of us have all the facts to, so why don't we all just let it go instead of bringing it up again and again as though any of us are experts on the matter?

Jeez.

What? I was just explaining why a Pirates 6 didn't happen and why a Fast X Part 2 is more likely to happen. If you don't like it, you can just ignore it. You aren't being forced to interact with these posts.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 4

2 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

What? I was just explaining why a Pirates 6 didn't happen and why a Fast X Part 2 is more likely to happen. If you don't like it, you can just ignore it. You aren't being forced to interact with these posts.

It's the same with any off-topic discussion in threads; it gets shut down, rightfully so, even though users aren't forced to interact with it. I'm not a mod of course, but it seems to me like the same standard should be applied, before we get users coming in here wanting to throw their two cents in about the trial.

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I spent that entire trial dealing with staff wanting to make HR complaints because "their coworkers weren't on team Depp" or "their coworkers weren't on team Heard"

That sounds like a bit from Parks and Rec or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9