Issac Newton

Weekend Thread 19-21/05 | Fast X $67.5M

Should be about $65-70M for the weekend, same as the last one during the pandemic recovery. Overall not too shabby for such a long-running series, but definitely a sign it's time to wrap it up before the law of diminishing returns officially kicks in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

People want to complain about a MCU's repetitive formula with afrofuturism, heist movies, sorcery, political thrillers, space opera, horror, John Hughes, etc but what about the Fast and Furious franchise?

what about them?  They're great.  They aren't pretending to be something they aren't like so many other franchises who do pretend to be some kind of high art and fail at every turn. 

11 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

imagine saying in 2015 post Furious 7 and the first jw that we're like three entries away in each series from John Wick out opening fast and furious.

Imagine saying in 2005 The Fast and the Furious would have its 11th movie released two decades later.  

2 hours ago, eXtacy said:

If it follows Fast 9 then this hits 63m

If it follows Fast 8 then this hits 57m

If it follows Fast 7 then this hits 59m

So lets put the range for the weekend as 57-63m

Hmm. This is first Fast film with normal FRI in a while. 7 & 8 were holidays while 9th was Summer. SAT bump should be there unless franchise is somehow FRI heavy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

People want to complain about a MCU's repetitive formula with afrofuturism, heist movies, sorcery, political thrillers, space opera, horror, John Hughes, etc but what about the Fast and Furious franchise?

If we ever get multiple Fast & Furious movies the same year and they all have different surface but the same structure, we can talk.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I think people complain about Fast & Furious franchise all the time. But as someone mentioned, Universal don't give us 4-6 Fast & Furious Content per year.

And trust me, from a fan of franchise which gets major apathy & criticism from internet, MCU has faced absolutely Nothing.

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If we ever get multiple Fast & Furious movies the same year and they all have different surface but the same structure, we can talk.

Would you really connect the different MCU series if they were from different studios?

Would really associate Ant-Man with Black Panther or Shang Chi or Winter Soldier?

No you wouldn't. 

Edited by grey ghost
  • Knock It Off 2

45 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Would you teally connect the different MCU series if they were from different studios?

Would really associate Ant-Man with Black Panther or Shang Chi or Winter Soldier?

No you wouldn't. 

I’ve seen Ant Man in the same film as both Black Panther and Captain America though. 

More than once. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Would you teally connect the different MCU series if they were from different studios?

No you wouldn't. 

Dude, it’s too early in the day for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Grebacio said:

I knew that Fast 7 and 8 were big, but I wasn't following box office pre 2014 and damn, both Furious 5 and 6 had bigger OW that I expected 

Even though Fast 1 and 2 Fast both did very good numbers. "Tokyo Drift" was considered a box office let down at the time even though to me it was a smaller side film and we all thought it was a spin off before then incorporated into the main series.   Anyways, Fast 4 got the franchise back to it's normal numbers and then "Fast 5" is when it really exploded to me.   So 5, 6, 7, 8 ended up all did very solid numbers overall.  "F9"had the Pandemic and still pulled over 700.  "Hobbs and Shaw" did over 750 Worldwide.   But it looking like "Fast 7" will remain the biggest one.   "Fast 8" also did gangbusters looking back.