Issac Newton

Weekend Thread 19-21/05 | Fast X $67.5M

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

but that's because of the director quitting during production which massively inflated the budget.

It didn't inflate the budget to this degree. But big salaries and too many people to pay to did.

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

27 + 22 + 14

Remember when Fast 6 and Fast 8 opened with 95M+ each? Even Fast 4 opened with 70M+. This is opening below Fast 4!

You're 22 years into a franchise. There's no more The Rock, Paul Walker and the family seems to be scattered all over the place. Very few if any franchises can do what Marvel did. Eventually every franchise runs out of steam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The fact the budget for Fast X went up by $125-140m is insane considering that could have paid for another film.

I think they just lowballed Fast 9 budget. Universal already lied about Jurassic World sequels budget which was significantly higher than they reported.

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

The films have been bombing domestically since F8. International has come in to save it each time. This one will probably not be profitable but that's because of the director quitting during production which massively inflated the budget. These movies are more marketed to the international crowd anyways, and I think Universal is fine with that.

Incredibly OS heavy films aren't anywhere as profitable as their numbers would make you believe because the returns from most international markets are much weaker than those of DOM.

Otherwise we'd be on Warcraft VII by now.

• Like 3

Filming around the Pandemic may have messed with the formula.  Also the whole apparent need of outdoing the prior ones.

Stick to the Street Racing, introduce some new characters and locations.  Keep it grounded, Would be just fine.  Really doesn't need the ZachSnyder-CGI esque scenes.  Also might be losing the edginess of the original few by trying to play to kids more.

Edited by budice

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think Fate of the Furious was the real peak if you remove Paul Walker’s death impact to 7, BO wise.

I mean I guess but you could say that with a lot of other films, while Paul Walker's death definitely helped interest in 7 I also think 7 was just the culmination in audience investment too after both F5 and F6 were pretty well liked.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean I guess but you could say that with a lot of other films, while Paul Walker's death definitely helped interest in 7 I also think 7 was just the culmination in audience investment too after both F5 and F6 were pretty well liked.

$1.5B was just too big to not continue. Its not like these films need some story to continue. Now with losses starting to happen, may be they stop making them.

but even now $750M+ is big number if they can reduce budget to $150M

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

People want to complain about a MCU's repetitive formula with afrofuturism, heist movies, sorcery, political thrillers, space opera, horror, John Hughes, etc but what about the Fast and Furious franchise?

You did the meme 

• Haha 2

Really can't be understated how essential Paul Walker's everyman was to this series. Brian was a contrast to Vin's increasingly superhero-esque turn and Rock's standard 80's action hero. Now he's gone and every character's a flanderized caricature. 

He was like an anchor for some sense of realism in an evolving cartoon world lol. 

Edited by GambitPool
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

After 7 my interest in the F&F movies dropped to almost zero. 

But, my interest in the box office of them is still very much there. To be precise, this weekend last year all we had was downton 2, and with GotG3 legging it out better than DrS2 after opening lower, and mermaid shaping up to open well but not as strong as Top Gun2, I think Fast X might be the tie breaker between last May's total and this month. So for exhibitors it's great, a nice mid-month boost. Should put the weekend overall well over 100m.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

People want to complain about a MCU's repetitive formula with afrofuturism, heist movies, sorcery, political thrillers, space opera, horror, John Hughes, etc but what about the Fast and Furious franchise?

If we got 3-4 Fast films a year (Vin don't get any ideas) then yeah I'd agree with that comparison when people complain about repetitive formula. 

• Like 2