Issac Newton

Weekend Thread 19-21/05 | Fast X $67.5M

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

a fun activity is to see which random movies outgrossed Shazam 2

A niche Christian Evangelical trilogy of Miracles from Heaven, I Can Only Imagine and God's Not Dead would consist entirely of films that outgrossed Shazam 2 domestically.

Jesus Revolution would miss out, having fallen only $4m short.

17 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

A movie that actually told the audience to "get lost".

LIS-Poster.webp

Isn't that the movie that broke Titanic's insane streak of being #1 at the box office for multiple weekends. I remember definitely having a huge crush on Lacey Chabert after I saw it. Good time but not the greatest movie. Has a wild twist near the end that's kinda fun though. 

Fast and Furious peaked with the 7th one not just because of Paul Walker. FF7 truly felt like an ideal ending for this stupid but extremely fun franchise up to that point. It was bigger than every other movie, but still didnt feel totally overwhelming. Its stunts (like jumping from one building to another with a car) were over the top crazy without feeling like a total satire (looking at a certain submarine or space mission).

FF7 was just a really good blockbuster. Fast 8 and 9 after that jumped the shark car. Theres always a fine line between fun-stupid and stupid-stupid.

None of which means the audiences would abandon the ship family car abruptly. But what we see with the series is a steady decline and while i think Fast X will still make good money with the OS results, studios do look at the domestic market much more closely. If the legs disappoint with this one, Fast XII will be in real danger.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 15

‘Fast X’ Speeds To $27M Friday, 3-day Of $65M – Box Office Update

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Universal’s Fast X is heading down a road that it was expected to in the U.S, with a $27M Friday on its way to $65M at 4,046 locations. This is to be expected for a long-in-the-tooth franchise, especially a sequel that’s arriving a quick two years after 2021’s F9 ($70M opening). Fast X‘s Friday includes $7.5M Thursday previews. That movie already jumped the shark and took a couple of the Fast goes to space? What to do now? Add Jason Momoa as the main bad guy to the mix. And as it was said, when it comes to Uni making bank on this $300M+ production, it’s all about overseas. International through two days is pushing near $70M. With a running total of $37M, Fast X is seeing the biggest blast off for a Hollywood studio title in China year to date.

Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 at 4,450 theaters is looking at an estimated $8.2m Friday for a third weekend of $32.7M, -46% for a running total of $267.2M. That’s a really good hold considering Universal took all the pic’s PLF and Imax screens. That third weekend amount is not that far from GOTG2‘s $34.6M (-47%), and 30% ahead of the third session of GOTG‘s $25.1M (-40%).

Illumination/Universal/Nintendo’s Super Mario Bros at 3,540 theaters is eying a $2.2M Friday, and a seventh weekend of $9.5M, -25%, for a running total of $549M.

Focus Features’ second weekend of Book Club: The Next Chapter at 3,513 theaters is looking at $3M, -55%, in fourth place for a $13.1M ten-day take. Friday is around $900K.

New Line’s Evil Dead Rise at 2,173 theaters is spotting $630K Friday and a fifth weekend $2.2M in 5th, -42%, and a running cume by Sunday of $63.9M.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/fast-x-box-office-first-weekend-1235373030/

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Fast and Furious peaked with the 7th one not just because of Paul Walker. FF7 truly felt like an ideal ending for this stupid but extremely fun franchise up to that point. It was bigger than every other movie, but still didnt feel totally overwhelming. Its stunts (like jumping from one building to another with a car) were over the top crazy without feeling like a total satire (looking at a certain submarine or space mission).

FF7 was just a really good blockbuster. Fast 8 and 9 after that jumped the gun. Theres always a fine line between fun-stupid and stupid-stupid.

None of which means the audiences would abandon the ship family car abruptly. But what we see with the series is a steady decline and while i think Fast X will still make good money with the OS results, studios do look at the domestic market much more closely. If the legs disappoint with this one, Fast XII will be in real danger.

The films have been bombing domestically since F8. International has come in to save it each time. This one will probably not be profitable but that's because of the director quitting during production which massively inflated the budget. These movies are more marketed to the international crowd anyways, and I think Universal is fine with that.

Edited by Bob Train

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

‘Fast X’ Speeds To $27M Friday, 3-day Of $65M – Box Office Update

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Universal’s Fast X is heading down a road that it was expected to in the U.S, with a $27M Friday on its way to $65M at 4,046 locations. This is to be expected for a long-in-the-tooth franchise, especially a sequel that’s arriving a quick two years after 2021’s F9 ($70M opening). Fast X‘s Friday includes $7.5M Thursday previews. That movie already jumped the shark and took a couple of the Fast goes to space? What to do now? Add Jason Momoa as the main bad guy to the mix. And as it was said, when it comes to Uni making bank on this $300M+ production, it’s all about overseas. International through two days is pushing near $70M. With a running total of $37M, Fast X is seeing the biggest blast off for a Hollywood studio title in China year to date.

Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 at 4,450 theaters is looking at an estimated $8.2m Friday for a third weekend of $32.7M, -46% for a running total of $267.2M. That’s a really good hold considering Universal took all the pic’s PLF and Imax screens. That third weekend amount is not that far from GOTG2‘s $34.6M (-47%), and 30% ahead of the third session of GOTG‘s $25.1M (-40%).

Illumination/Universal/Nintendo’s Super Mario Bros at 3,540 theaters is eying a $2.2M Friday, and a seventh weekend of $9.5M, -25%, for a running total of $549M.

Focus Features’ second weekend of Book Club: The Next Chapter at 3,513 theaters is looking at $3M, -55%, in fourth place for a $13.1M ten-day take. Friday is around $900K.

New Line’s Evil Dead Rise at 2,173 theaters is spotting $630K Friday and a fifth weekend $2.2M in 5th, -42%, and a running cume by Sunday of $63.9M.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/fast-x-box-office-first-weekend-1235373030/

Great hold for GOTG3!

• Like 2

Good holds across the board but Mario's is really good. Minions 2 made 5.14x it's 7th weekend after the 7th weekend. If Mario does that same 7th weekend multiplier, then based off these estimates it will make roughly $598m.

I don't think Mario will do that because competition is gonna get tough starting next weekend. However kids get out school in the next few weeks which could help the legs (compared to Minions 2, where kids started returning to school around the 6th/7th/8th week, which obviously slightly hurts the legs).

• Like 1

Mid 60s is decent for a movie that peaked almost a decade ago. Now Universal just has to think about slashing the budgets on these things. Seriously, 340M is ridiculous.

Universal's issue is that the budget for each Fast film is getting bigger but the returns are getting smaller. The fact the budget for Fast X went up by $125-140m is insane considering that could have paid for another film. I think there should be a final film to wrap things up but it needs to get back to the $200-220m range to be remotely profitable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Mid 60s is decent for a movie that peaked almost a decade ago. Now Universal just has to think about slashing the budgets on these things. Seriously, 340M is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised if the execs at Universal put their foot down and demand they stick to the budget for the next film. $200-250m they can just about handle but $340m is Avengers and Avatar territory. 

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If they don't name the finale "The Last Of The Furious" they failed big league.

I mean, they did miss "FasTen Your Seatbelts".

Edited by KGPatt2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also can't help but imagine part of the issue with the F&F budgets are the insane casts these things have. Super bloated and by now I can imagine the payday for everyone is getting quite big.

They better hope the international audience for this still loves it because I don't think the domestic one is going to have many positive things to say about it. 

In my opinion, it's the worst one. There's some structure of the movie that I didn't agree with at all. In fact it just does something that I don't think a movie that is so big on family should do.

Having said that the action sequences are up there with part 5. They're really well directed, well choreographed and they're quite exhilarating.

Certain things happen in the movie that are just wtf. And I don't think they're going to feel organic to an audience and I think it's going to backfire on them.

If it does hit 65 million this weekend, and Memorial weekend coming up next weekend, I imagine it can mitigate the drop that will inevitably in my opinion be quite large.

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I also can't help but imagine part of the issue with the F&F budgets are the insane casts these things have. Super bloated and by now I can imagine the payday for everyone is getting quite big.

Slaughter them all in the next one. Then you can have a part 3 maybe, cast is huge and it doesn´t need to.

• Like 3