Eric S'ennui

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

I'm being ironic because The Flash was hyped as the best movie ever, including by Zaslav, and yet in this top 5 2 2023 titles are already ahead of it.

It's one person's opinion.  Are we supposed to care? 

• Like 1

First of all, "Latino" is an ethnicity. There are white Latinos. There are Afro-Latinos and so on.  So the statement that "Latinos universally love black people"  is already wrong just based on that.  There are absolutely racist white Spanish-speaking all over the world especially in Spain and in the U.S. 

I don't think I really need to delve further into this.  I think what most of you should do is stick to box office numbers and stay out of politics. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Agafin said:

I don't really see why the backlash to race swapping is seen as racist. Was the backlash against race swapping in Gods of Egypt or Ghost in the Shell also seen as racist against whites?

First off, those movies were trash.

Secondly, TLM is clearly different since Haily is getting death threats and racial slurs.

• Sad 3
  • ...wtf 1

22 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

First of all, "Latino" is an ethnicity. There are white Latinos. There are Afro-Latinos and so on.  So the statement that "Latinos universally love black people"  is already wrong just based on that.  There are absolutely racist white Spanish-speaking all over the world especially in Spain and in the U.S. 

I don't think I really need to delve further into this.  I think what most of you should do is stick to box office numbers and stay out of politics. 

You do realize there are Afro-Latinos who are racist against blacks.

I mean anyone can be racist. I'm not sure why you think an ethnic group can't have people who are racist.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Secondly, TLM is clearly different since Haily is getting death threats and racial slurs.

What I think is racist is Hailey getting death threats and racial slurs. The actual personal attacks.

But I wouldn't necessarily call any complaint against racial swapping racist.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So is the actress whos gonna play Nani in the live action Lilo and Stitch for being "too white", even though she is hawaiian of polynesian descent.

• Like 1

Where are you guys reading or hearing that death threats are being uttered? I just want to make sure that I am correct in saying that the original of The Little mermaid was animation wasn't it? Are there seriously people in this world that are getting upset did a black actress has replaced a white animated character? And I'm not trying to be facetious or sensational at all in this question I'm actually being sincere. Where are these death threats coming from?

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

Where are you guys reading or hearing that death threats are being uttered? I just want to make sure that I am correct in saying that the original of The Little mermaid was animation wasn't it? Are there seriously people in this world that are getting upset did a black actress has replaced a white animated character? And I'm not trying to be facetious or sensational at all in this question I'm actually being sincere. Where are these death threats coming from?

Yeah, there are people losing their minds over replacing a white animated character with a black actress.

Coming from the usual far right nazi wannabe psychos.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, baumer said:

The alt right are the worst people in the world and have been impossible to miss since 2016.  And sadly are basically main stream on the right in America at this point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

If you think that racism in the US and Brazil is bad, be prepared whenever you go to the other South American countries. It’s disheartening.

As someone who spent two years in Peru on a service mission for my church, I can very much confirm this. The stereotypes of all non-Hispanics are alive and well in their eyes. 

I personally think TLM is off to a less than stellar start because people are tiring of the Disney rehash cycle. Most people I’ve talked to weren’t interested because of their experience with the previous remakes and have decided enough is enough. Haven’t seen that discussed much as a reason for the performance (which isn’t horrible, but it’s doubtfully what Disney was hoping for) so I figured I’d throw in my two cents.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Flopped said:

but apparently, America has the biggest racism problem 

Honestly, I wouldn’t start giving America a pat on the back just because parts of the rest of the world aren’t so hot on yet another mediocre Disney live action remake. 

• Like 6