Eric Prime

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

Just now, BluKyberCrystal said:

Password sharing crackdown?

Not only that. Netflix is trying something that just won’t fly with consumers, but regulators in different countries. Here in Brazil we have a government agency to protect consumer rights and they are already on their ass. They can’t control *where* someone access their accounts, this goes against our consumer laws. I’m canceling my account once I get my Black Mirror fix next month, but I expect not just consumers backlash, but governments backlash. Similar to how Microsoft was denied of buying Activision months ago.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

context please

I assume they're referring to the first PlayStation showcase in 2 years, for which fans' expectations were through the roof.

Predictably, it landed like the Hindenburg - with even the most ardent PlayStation console warriors branding it the "worst showcase of all time".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

The movie part of the spider-man trailer looked great, but dang that gameplay with combat looked horrid, like the NPCs weren't really fighting back and were nice enough to wait their turn.

Watching it on 4K with an OLED tv it looks amazing. Also a lot of the details that XBox fanboys and wannabe graphic experts are trashing on Twitter are brilliant. The water fucking reacts to Spider-Man swinging close to it, I never saw anything like that shit. 

This sort of relates to what I’ve been talking on the Deadpool 3 thread btw:

Edited by ZattMurdock

Wow, it sounds like Mermaid must have tanked in the white-dominant areas of America. It does line up with what we're seeing overseas, namely that while black women are showing up to this movie as if they were Gandalf's army in Return of the King, other demographics are simply shrugging with indifference and moving on with their lives. Still, getting to anywhere near $100M for the 3-day weekend just on the power of black women alone is very impressive still. It makes me wonder how The Color Purple is going to perform this December.

23 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

The movie part of the spider-man trailer looked great, but dang that gameplay with combat looked horrid, like the NPCs weren't really fighting back and were nice enough to wait their turn.

So just like pretty much every NPC then

23 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

I like the first two Spider-Man games, but outside of swinging around, I don't find the gameplay all that compelling. Same with the storytelling. So it being the big showcase did nothing for me. I knew I shouldn't have expected FF7 Rebirth, but alas. Phantom Blade Zero was what got me hyped at the Showcase.

14 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Wow, it sounds like Mermaid must have tanked in the white-dominant areas of America. It does line up with what we're seeing overseas, namely that while black women are showing up to this movie as if they were Gandalf's army in Return of the King, other demographics are simply shrugging with indifference and moving on with their lives. Still, getting to anywhere near $100M for the 3-day weekend just on the power of black women alone is very impressive still. It makes me wonder how The Color Purple is going to perform this December.

it just didn't look good, race only plays a small part, give people something unmissable in theaters and they will show up regardless of race, still 100m is hardly bad

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Knock It Off 1

Let's be honest here,  I couldn't have been the only one to see the initial Little Mermaid teaser and go "wow that looks cheap."  The underwater VFX looked like trash.  Now I did say maybe they will improve some upon release but it's all just a part of a bigger problem.  Disney keeps on shelling out these poorly made live action remakes for their animated classics and maybe it's finally caught up to them.  Bad scripts, bad effects,  bad acting, just all around poor stuff from the Disney studio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Mulder said:

Never seen a movie making over 100 million in the domestic market OW (The most important market money-wise) get talked about like it's opening to sub-50 million.

I have a lot to say about this. A LOT. But I don’t want to get threadbanned. I just want to say that I agree with you.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Never seen a movie making over 100 million in the domestic market OW (The most important market money-wise) get talked about like it's opening to sub-50 million.

Age of Ultron still biggest billion dollar flop

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Surely this will not even generate 1% the slams and meltdowns of the most (in)famous 90Ms opener?

22 minutes ago, Mulder said:

LOL it's gonna have like a 170m worldwide opening on a 250m budget which is a significantly higher budget than every other remake. That's much lower than every other remake, even backloaded Aladdin opened to 210m worldwide. Every other renaissance remake made 100s of million in profit theatrically, meanwhile this one will need godly legs to even break even theatrically.

Just because it makes opens close to 100m at the box office doesn't mean it's a good opening. Justice League opened similarly domestically, and much bigger internationally, but people consider that a huge flop.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah. This is outright bizarre. So it's going to come in a little under but do something like 115M+ over the holiday weekend. Legs will be go but not quite as good as expected due to some frontloadedness but I imagine it's still safe to make 300M+ DOM.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

LOL it's gonna have like a 170m worldwide opening on a 250m budget which is a significantly higher budget than every other remake. That's much lower than every other remake, even backloaded Aladdin opened to 210m worldwide. Every other renaissance remake made 100s of million in profit theatrically, meanwhile this one will need godly legs to even break even theatrically.

Just because it makes opens close to 100m at the box office doesn't mean it's a good opening. Justice League opened similarly domestically, and much bigger internationally, but people consider that a huge flop.

19 minutes ago, Legions of the Galaxy said:

Surely this will not even generate 1% the slams and meltdowns of the most (in)famous 90Ms opener?

20 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Age of Ultron still biggest billion dollar flop

Comparing superhero movie sequels to something like Little Mermaid is ridiculous and all three of you know it. Epitome of bad faith arguing here. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I mean, Justice League is DECU's Avengers. Not a really fair comparison. OS opening isn't great but DOM opening is definitely pretty good. We'll see if it has legs. RT audience score pretty impressive at 95%.

• Like 1