kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

Saw ATSV . Making a good sequel was going to be a tough job and yeah I'm happy to report they were up to the task.

Simply incredible film , animation was gorgeous and that's not just a crutch for the movie to rely on and backed by a great story. Gwen and miles were great and their characters were elevated from the previous movie. 

My only criticism of the film is that the side characters with exception of spiderman 2099 were underveloped and not as charming as 2018 conterparts.

Visual storytelling and score here are incredible.

In modern Hollywood which is so deviod creativity watching this is a delight. To think 5 years ago something like  this would happen from Sony animation studios of all companies. Best idea Sony I've ever come up with and it's revolutionizing the animation industry .

Visual style may not be for many and some sequences can be headache inducing but overall it's more expressive and the amount of visual storytelling is on the next level.

Between this and ITSV I'm still torn which comes out on top for me. 

• Like 1

I recall there was a monsterverse discussion a couple weekday/weekend threads back and wanted to give my ranking as I finally got to watching the films.

1. Godzilla vs Kong - 7/10 | everything you want out of one of these movies except cut the human subplots cause who cares.

2. Kong: Skull Island - 6/10 | cool introduction to Kong and some awesome kills but kinda a drag in the middle until the climax. Samuel L. Jackson was entertaining.

3. Godzilla: 5/10 | boring, but the Godzilla parts are sick so it makes up for it. Couldn't care less about the humans. Movie is also dark for 80% of the fucking movie so I couldn't see shit for the most part.

4. Godzilla: King of the Monsters: 2/10 | what a fucking mess. The script is terrible and there was so much wasted potential with Mothra. Nuclear Godzilla was the only cool part but my god this movie was bad. Farmiga is also like my celebrity crush so she was tolerable just because of that but her character was nonsensical.

Okay nobody cares about my rankings probably but I thought I would share if someone did. Thanks for attending my TED Talk if you made it this far 🙃.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, Austin said:

I recall there was a monsterverse discussion a couple weekday/weekend threads back and wanted to give my ranking as I finally got to watching the films.

1. Godzilla vs Kong - 7/10 | everything you want out of one of these movies except cut the human subplots cause who cares.

2. Kong: Skull Island - 6/10 | cool introduction to Kong and some awesome kills but kinda a drag in the middle until the climax. Samuel L. Jackson was entertaining.

3. Godzilla: 5/10 | boring, but the Godzilla parts are sick so it makes up for it. Couldn't care less about the humans. Movie is also dark for 80% of the fucking movie so I couldn't see shit for the most part.

4. Godzilla: King of the Monsters: 2/10 | what a fucking mess. The script is terrible and there was so much wasted potential with Mothra. Nuclear Godzilla was the only cool part but my god this movie was bad. Farmiga is also like my celebrity crush so she was tolerable just because of that but her character was nonsensical.

Okay nobody cares about my rankings probably but I thought I would share if someone did. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk if you made it this far 🙃.

For me I swap skull Island to the top and that's my list.

Larry Fong's cinematography is aces. And I loved John C. Reilys characters story.

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

For me I swap skull Island to the top and that's my list.

Larry Fong's cinematography is aces. And I loved John C. Reilys characters story.

Yeah there are some really cool shots in Skull Island. John C. Reily's character was pretty irritating to start but he grew on me as the movie went on when they stopped forcing dumb quirky jokes out of him. Him and Samuel L. Jackson are probably the only humans that are memorable in these films. The movie was also surprisingly hard PG-13. At least I thought it was.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Austin said:

Okay nobody cares about my rankings probably but I thought I would share if someone did. Thanks for attending my TED Talk if you made it this far 🙃.

Iirc the regular Blu-Ray and streaming releases of Godzilla have fucked color correction

2 hours ago, Austin said:

1. Godzilla vs Kong - 10/10 |

2. Kong: Skull Island - 10/10 |

3. Godzilla: 10/10 |

4. Godzilla: King of the Monsters: 10/10 |

I agree with you :ph34r:

The Little Mermaid 2nd weekend is still bigger than the OW of Aladdin here. Fast X still leads the box office and at this point it might do it until Indiana Jones. The Flash is a mid-level opener at best here and Transformers is gonna mega bomb. Spider-Verse opens to nearly 4 times more than the first movie here. Overall, the major problem here is the same as in America, only 7 movies above 1.000 tickets sold in the top 10 is terrible.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Little Mermaid 2nd weekend is still bigger than the OW of Aladdin here. Fast X still leads the box office and at this point it might do it until Indiana Jones. The Flash is a mid-level opener at best here and Transformers is gonna mega bomb. Spider-Verse opens to nearly 4 times more than the first movie here. Overall, the major problem here is the same as in America, only 7 movies above 1.000 tickets sold in the top 10 is terrible.

Our public has probably been overly accostumed to streaming in the last three years. Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and HBO have grown a lot, and other services have been introduced (like SkyShowtime, Globoplay and SIC's OPTO, even if I don't suspect they move big crowds).

I do think it's still a very good sign of growth/recovery that the Little Mermaid and Fast have been doing strong.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Just how much credit should we give Netflix for this opening?

Will a new last airbender movie breakout big too..I hear that show found a second life on Netflix and did very well there.

Will Extraction 3 with Hemworth breakout if only released in the theatre 

52 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Our public has probably been overly accostumed to streaming in the last three years. Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and HBO have grown a lot, and other services have been introduced (like SkyShowtime, Globoplay and SIC's OPTO, even if I don't suspect they move big crowds).

I do think it's still a very good sign of growth/recovery that the Little Mermaid and Fast have been doing strong.

There is a lack of movies that sell tickets. You look at a bigger cinema like Colombo with 9 screens (IMAX included) and they have just 6 movies playing (Boogeyman, Spider-Verse, Mermaid, GotG3, Fast X, Mario). Almada faces the same thing, but with 14 screens (4DX included) inevitably you either open bomb movies with no marketing (does anybody know the spanish movie En los Márgenes with Penelope Cruz opened this past weekend?) or have to keep extremely old movies that while were hits back when they opened nobody is watching right now (The Pope's Exorcist is still playing all day, and both Evil Dead Rise and Mavka are still sharing a screen).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hades said:

Just how much credit should we give Netflix for this opening?

Will a new last airbender movie breakout big too..I hear that show found a second life on Netflix and did very well there.

Will Extraction 3 with Hemworth breakout if only released in the theatre 

I would say Netflix + winning the oscar made a lot of people aware of just how good Spider-verse was. When Spider-verse first got on Netflix if I recall it was #1 for a long time in the movie section, so I'd credit it the same. It's like Austin Powers and how popular it became on VHS and rental situations which made the sequel take off like a rocket.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

There is a lack of movies that sell tickets. You look at a bigger cinema like Colombo with 9 screens (IMAX included) and they have just 6 movies playing (Boogeyman, Spider-Verse, Mermaid, GotG3, Fast X, Mario). Almada faces the same thing, but with 14 screens (4DX included) inevitably you either open bomb movies with no marketing (does anybody know the spanish movie En los Márgenes with Penelope Cruz opened this past weekend?) or have to keep extremely old movies that while were hits back when they opened nobody is watching right now (The Pope's Exorcist is still playing all day, and both Evil Dead Rise and Mavka are still sharing a screen).

That probably doesn't help.

I'd say that it's an advantage in smaller markets (Centro/Alentejo/Algarve/island regions), but yeah, in the big metropolitan centers, won't cut it. Might get better now, though, with the June onslaught of Flash, Transformers, Elemental and Indy - even if I think some of those will bomb.

27 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That probably doesn't help.

I'd say that it's an advantage in smaller markets (Centro/Alentejo/Algarve/island regions), but yeah, in the big metropolitan centers, won't cut it. Might get better now, though, with the June onslaught of Flash, Transformers, Elemental and Indy - even if I think some of those will bomb.

Elemental only opens in July here. No Hard Feelings and Asteroid City can surprise tho (even if different degrees).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Animated films are more leggy overseas

How much though? It's doing 3.5x max at domestic IMO. It still has a few markets to open, but probably none are going to be relevant.

14 hours ago, Joel M said:

TLK live action a strong conteder for worst movie of the previous decade

Wait for live action Finding Nemo. Dorybros, I don't feel so good. They are going to remake our girl as a photoreal fish. 😭

Edited by Valonqar
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Seth MacFarlane is one of the most talented people alive. Singer, Voice Actor, Writer. It's a shame he hasn't used that and his industry goodwill to direct a proper musical which he clearly loves.

He would have been PERFECT as Harold Hill from The Music Man, and I'm baffled Hugh Jackman got to that part first.