Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

20 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

Guess we will hear more of Puerto Rico this weekend.

You saying the movie is performing well in Puerto Rico, or Paramount is gonna "find" money there like they did with AoE in order to say they won the weekend?

34 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Whoa, haven't been following TF tracking for the last week and a half but how is it about to open DOUBLE of expectations at the end of May? Even the reviews aren't great. What did I miss?

wait, TF is overperforming? How low were expectations?

20 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So I wasn't following the box office back then, when you guys say this do you mean that Paramount counted Puerto Rico as part of the Domestic market to increase the opening weekend of Age of Extinction to 100? Is Puerto Rico usually it's own thing?

Back in June 2009, Revenge of the Fallen's 5 day estimates were 197.1 mill (or something like that, I'm doing this from memory). When the actuals came out, it was reported as 200.1, with Paramount "finding additional revenue from Puerto Rico that wasn't accounted for" in the previous estimate. This was a big deal at the time, because only one movie had grossed 200m in 5 days (TDK), and ROTF was already breaking several records. While movies go up or down from estimates all the time, this instance was particularly egregious because it was clear that Paramount wanted it to pass the 200m millstone. And thus, we swore that we would never forget.

But then, in June 2014, it happened again. After a weaker summer that had multiple movies open in the 90-99 million range (Captain America: The Winter Solder, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past) and no openings above 100 million, it looked like Age of Extinction was doomed to be yet another one that would fall in that range. Throughout the weekend, optimistic projections and rival studio estimates pointed to something in the 96-98 range, but once again, come actuals, Paramount reported AOE with an opening weekend of 100 million, basically on the dot. Once again, Paramount had Puerto Rico'd a Transformers movie over a significant milestone. And thus, we swore to never forget... Again. 

https://imgur.com/a/hJeIcV5

(I don't know why my imgur link isn't working)

Edited by Gokai Red
  • Like 14
  • Heart 1

Sticking to my guns here and thinking ROTB opens to around 55-58M. This could pass 60M which would be a great number for it considering how dire it was looking prior to this but I think it just barely misses.

Also great numbers on ATSV, calling that to win the weekend in spite of ROTB's overperformance.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

30 mil

Nah, that was the absolute floor expectation...as tracking thread said, there was no way this would open below Shazam 2, and Shazam 2 was $30Mish...how high it would go was the only question...and still is the only question...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrinceRico said:

That is actually a good score for a transformer film.

There's no other ones you could compare to verified wise, so not really. For example of a similar kind of mindless action film, Fast X has an 85% right now and its had awful drops domestically.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

Back in June 2009, Revenge of the Fallen's 5 day estimates were 197.1 mill (or something like that, I'm doing this from memory). When the actuals came out, it was reported as 200.1, with Paramount "finding additional revenue from Puerto Rico that wasn't accounted for" in the previous estimate. This was a big deal at the time, because only one movie had grossed 200m in 5 days (TDK), and ROTF was already breaking several records. While movies go up or down from estimates all the time, this instance was particularly egregious because it was clear that Paramount wanted it to pass the 200m millstone. And thus, we swore that we would never forget.

But then, in June 2014, it happened again. After a weaker summer that had multiple movies open in the 90-99 million range (Captain America: The Winter Solder, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past) and no openings above 100 million, it looked like Age of Extinction was doomed to be yet another one that would fall in that range. Throughout the weekend, optimistic projections and rival studio estimates pointed to something in the 96-98 range, but once again, come actuals, Paramount reported AOE with an opening weekend of 100 million, basically on the dot. Once again, Paramount had Puerto Rico'd a Transformers movie over a significant milestone. And thus, we swore to never forget... Again. 

https://imgur.com/a/hJeIcV5

(I don't know why my imgur link isn't working)

Those were some good times on these boards!

For any newer members curious to the start of the forum meme, here’s BOM’s straight up disclaimer they attached to Transformers 2’s opening weekend report:

* Note: Revenge of the Fallen's weekend gross fell $3 million short of Paramount's Sunday estimate, which would have put the five-day opening at $198.2 million. Though shy of $200 million, it would have still ranked second among the all time five-day starts. However, Paramount revised its grosses from Wednesday and Thursday upward, and that's what pushed the total past $200 million. Wednesday went from $60.6 million to $62.0 million, and Thursday went from $28.6 million to $29.1 million. Paramount reported that the differences came from unreported showings from the movie's midnight openings on Wednesday night, which went from the previously reported $16 million at around 3,000 theaters to $16.8 million at close to 3,300 theaters, as well as late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands (which the studio counts in its domestic numbers), which accounted for $1.1 million of the difference.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed3464102916/

I’d seen the “Puerto Rico” joke spread to some other box office related areas of the internet around that time, too. Third time is the charm, hopefully!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Also still early, but verified RT score's not looking too great for RoTB. At 88% right now.

This movie’s mostly gonna appeal to kids, a lot of whom i’d assume don’t even know what RT is. Losing PLFs will hurt its legs for sure though

• Like 1

ROTB is doing decently at my local theatre this evening. Probably will land around 2.5x what it did last night, which had a really good walk up rate. This is a theatre without any matinees, as schools are still running.

But Spiderverse is almost sold out in 3/4 showings, down to only first rows for any seats together. The late show fairly busy as well.

I'm not used to seeing a holdover be this busy this early. It's pointing to a strong hold, even in the face of stronger than expected competition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Early Deadline so grain of salt, but a 6.6 IM from the EA & Thursday numbers (Going by their 58 million prediction) would be a good IM for this. Not quite 60, but high 50s feels like a win.