Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I first lurked BOT during the early days of TFA's run, it was legendary seeing Rth post record breaking numbers every day for almost a month straight

That 40 million first Monday when trades were saying 20-30 tops was dazzling

While next weekend's numbers will be dire it will make the battle for #1 interesting between AtSV, Flash, Elemental and No Hard Feelings we have 4 movies that could potentially take the top spot as I could see all of them landing in mid-teens range. 

• Like 1

This thread is why I barely come here anymore. Nothing but negativity. Flash bombed for reasons that have nothing to do with the health of moviegoing right now. Fingers crossed Elemental can have good legs, excellent and underrated movie. 

• Like 10

Just opened this thread and wow, The Flash doing just 55m 3-day?

I mean I barely follow box office anymore due to Hollywood's business model of endless middling/low quality franchising and/or superhero shit but 55m OW is enough for me to come into a weekend thread to LOL so bravo WB/Zaslav

I guess maybe people just didn't want to see a lame duck Snyderverse flick led by an unstable women beating asshole and insane person.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

This thread is why I barely come here anymore. Nothing but negativity. Flash bombed for reasons that have nothing to do with the health of moviegoing right now. Fingers crossed Elemental can have good legs, excellent and underrated movie. 

Yep. The moronic theatrical moviegoing is doomed stuff ignoring NWH,  TG Maverick, Avatar WOW, and Mario Bros.  Not to mention the MCU is dying idiocy despite every movie since NWH save Quantammania has done at least 340 million domestic and 700 million WW depsite the mixed to bad receptions of some of them.

Negativity is a pespective. I don't understand what is the problem with wanting trash/mediocre films NOT to do well. It's not the case that great, highly acclaimed films are getting rejected by audiences. There is nothing wrong people rooting for quality films.

Some of these films already had a baggage and needed great WoM to overcome certain obstacles and unfortunately it wasn't happening. I'm not saying that all of these summer films are bad, but it is clear that they are certainly not great and the poor box office proves that.

Box office is not dead just because underwhelming films are disappointing. You'll see fireworks with MI:DR,. BARBIE and OP next month.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 4
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Negativity is a pespective. I don't understand what is the problem with wanting trash/mediocre films NOT to do well. It's not the case that great, highly acclaimed films are getting rejected by audiences. There is nothing wrong people rooting for quality films.

Some of these films already had a baggage and needed great WoM to overcome certain obstancles and unfortunately it wasn't happening. I'm, not sdayiong that all of these summer films are bad, but it is clear that they are certainly not great.

Box office is not dead just because underwhelming films are disappointing. You'll see fireworks with MI:DR,. BARBIE and OP next month.

This.

Just got out of Elemental, I will not tolerate slander about this movie. Box office slander sure, because it's an atrocious performance, but the movie itself is pretty great, especially as a kid of immigrants. Hoping the A CinemaScore shows up and it has great legs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

The Warners and Disney studios wish that was true.

If The Flash makes $140M DOM and $200M OS:

Global theatrical revenue: $150m

Global home sales: $50m

Global TV: $70m

Total earnings: $270 m

Budget: $220m

Marketing: $160m (?)

Total costs: $380m (?)

Profit (Loss) = $270 m-$380 m= ($110 m)

It would have been better if this movie hadn't even been made, but since it was, the decision to release it in theaters was better than releasing it straight to HBO Max. Instead of losing $220 million (assuming Warner wouldn't spend a penny to market it with an HBO Max release), Warner will "only" lose $110 m. The biggest problem was that they spent so much on marketing. 

Warner should be happy. They shouldn't have created so much hype for a mediocre movie like The Flash.

I don't know what to predict in total for Elemental, since it has yet to debut in several international countries, but from what I've seen that Disney spent on domestic TV Spots, I don't think the marketing costs were as high as some think here.

Edited by Litio
  • Thanks 1

I know we kinda went over this before but what is the top 10 highest number of pages for weekend threads? Is this one even remotely close lol? 

Edited by Austin

5 minutes ago, Austin said:

I know we kinda went over this before but what is the top 10 highest number of pages for weekend threads? Is this one even remotely close lol? 

ZeeSoh broke down the top 4 before but I don't think this approaches it since 100 pages used to be the norm for weekend threads on here.

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

WB is losing 250m minimum on this on. Will finish below BLACK ADAM and UNCHARTED. Gunn off to a terrible start.

To be fair with James Gunn, The Flash is the result of the messy previous administrations at WB/DC.

The real test will be Superman Legacy.

• Like 2

The last few weeks haven't seen the greatest performances but fast and furious, transformers, flash and elemental all have pretty clear reasons why they bombed.

Fast and furious is a long declining franchise, transformers honestly opened higher then I thought it would, and flash has the baggage of its main actor, the DCEU and was kinda subpart.

Elemental got pretty decent reviews so honestly deserved a bit better, but marketing wasn't great and Pixar brand is sort of soured atm so I don't think it's low opening is too surprising 

Aquaman making a billion was the worst thing that could happen to DC. If it had bombed like Justice League they probably would've only made 1 or 2 more movies than rebooted. But since it made a billion, it gave DC false hope that they could salvage the universe can get more hits, which they obviously didn't.

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Aquaman making a billion was the worst thing that could happen to DC. If it had bombed like Justice League they probably would've only made 1 or 2 more movies than rebooted. But since it made a billion, it gave DC false hope that they could salvage the universe can get more hits, which they obviously didn't.

I guess in this world WW84 would have been the last movie