Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Indiana Jones continues to prove that Lucasfilm under Disney is a freaking mess. And I hate to sound like one of those weird incels with a hatred for Kathleen Kennedy because I do not hate her at all but will she please stop her obsession with dark-haired British women being the female lead in every movie? It's become silly at this point. 

If it hasn't yet been pointed out, much like Han Solo's death, those opposed to Waller-Bridge's presence should blame Ford.

"She first heard about the project from Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, who broached the idea at the behest of Ford, who—would you believe?—is a huge Fleabag fan."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/06/phoebe-waller-bridge-on-her-surreal-journey-from-fleabag-to-indiana-jones

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Dude, he's not real lmao. If somebody can't handle a fictional character in a kids movie getting "bullied", then that's kinda sad IMO. And honestly, if a movie character is only allowed to be idolized and never criticized on the basis that they are "beloved", then that sounds like a pretty boring movie.

Characters in movies aren't real, but we are still expected to empathize with them. So, I don't understand your answer.

It's pretty common to dislike a character if their behavior feels abusive.

That said, it's pretty possible people is too defensive with Indy.

Just now, KC7 said:

If it hasn't yet been pointed out, much like Han Solo's death, those opposed to Waller-Bridge's presence should blame Ford.

"She first heard about the project from Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, who broached the idea at the behest of Ford, who—would you believe?—is a huge Fleabag fan."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/06/phoebe-waller-bridge-on-her-surreal-journey-from-fleabag-to-indiana-jones

Ford clearly knows more then some of the fans do cause both of those decisions (Han Solo's death and PWB in Dial of Destiny) were some of the best parts of their respective films to me.

2 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Weeks ago, Film Twitter went out of its way to blame Zaslav and Gunn for The Flash. Even though neither greenlit it, were creatively involved and merely inherited it from the previous WB/DC regime.

So I'm gonna very curious if they are equally vicious to Bob Iger over the failure of Dial of Destiny. Or will everyone suddenly handle him with kid gloves and point out how he too inherited this?

That and interesting how silent everyone is regarding the heaping praise Ford and co. spewed about DoD compared to how everyone mocked Zaslav's Flash hyperbole. 

Internet people trying to virtue signal within their own social circles hate on Zaslav despite what has been a pretty solid performance on his part with WB films so far. 

24 Million OD for a Franchise that's over 40 years old and a Legendary Star in the twilight of his career.  I'd call this a good number.  I know, I Know.  The Budget.  But considering this is 1980's property, I'm trying to look at this in a historical point of view.  Indy is still popular and relevant enough to Win the Box Office after 40 Years.   Plus the last sequel was 15 years ago and previous sequel was 19 years before that.  So there's been huge gaps too.  Obviously it's not making "Crystal Skull" numbers but with the Holiday coming up and decent WOM, I think it can do pretty good.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It's also common place for Indy films. He squabbles with all of his partners, and he has like, actual beef with PWB's character in the film and portrays him as in the right for like 95% of the film. If anything, I applaud Dial of Destiny for having a female character that's actually meant to be somewhat unlikable at first and then grows over the course of the film into a more heroic figure. Obviously the execution isn't working for some people but I found it refreshing amongst a sea of male and female characters who tend to remain static.

The dinamic between Indy and PWB is the only thing that livened up the movie for me during the middle half. As you say, squabbling with his partner (man or woman) is a classic Indy trope. 

I think her arc could have done better, but it's the least of the movie's problems.

12 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

24 Million OD for a Franchise that's over 40 years old and a Legendary Star in the twilight of his career.  I'd call this a good number.  I know, I Know.  The Budget.  But considering this is 1980's property, I'm trying to look at this in a historical point of view.  Indy is still popular and relevant enough to Win the Box Office after 40 Years.   Plus the last sequel was 15 years ago and previous sequel was 19 years before that.  So there's been huge gaps too.  Obviously it's not making "Crystal Skull" numbers but with the Holiday coming up and decent WOM, I think it can do pretty good.  

Indy's winning the boxoffice in a month when the last big opener was 4 weeks ago. It's not that impressive to out-gross a bunch of holdovers, most of which released either over 3 weeks ago or bombed. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, excel1 said:

That and interesting how silent everyone is regarding the heaping praise Ford and co. spewed about DoD compared to how everyone mocked Zaslav's Flash hyperbole. 

Internet people trying to virtue signal within their own social circles hate on Zaslav despite what has been a pretty solid performance on his part with WB films so far. 

Lmao Zaslav allowed the Gunn/Safran announcement to be made immediately after Black Adam's OW, killing all interest not only in that film but also the 4 films this year from the 'old' DCEU.

His greater sins are on the streaming side but his leadership has accelerated the DC films flopping in theaters as well

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lmao Zaslav allowed the Gunn/Safran announcement to be made immediately after Black Adam's OW, killing all interest not only in that film but also the 4 films this year from the 'old' DCEU.

His greater sins are on the streaming side but his leadership has accelerated the DC films flopping in theaters as well

I really think that people are waaay overstating how much of an impact that had. Do you guys seriously think that The Flash would've made like 20 million dollars more opening weekend if not for that announcement? lol At most it'd have made 500K-3 million dollars more.  Same with Shazam.

His DCU announcement video has only like 1 million views on youtube.  The GA doesn't know shit about it.  The movie looked bad and people weren't interested on it.

Edited by 21C

33 minutes ago, John Marston said:

this movie came out 30 years ago today. Remember when a star could take a legal thriller to 158 million domestic which would be well over 300 million today? One of the most fascinating things

MV5BNDMzNDEwM2EtN2I4YS00NjRjLTk5ZTAtZTg5

To be fair it is a John Grisham adaptation, his books were massive bestsellers with the mid-1990s being the sweet spot for movies based on his books. The Firm was the biggest, though, likely because of Cruise but The Pelican Brief and A Time to Kill also adjust to totals impossible to imagine now. Even unadjusted seems unlikely in today's market: now they would all be a limited series for Netflix/Amazon/etc.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 21C said:

I really think that people are waaay overstating how much of an impact that had. Do you guys seriously think that The Flash would've made like 20 million dollars more opening weekend if not for that announcement? lol At most it'd have made 500K-3 million dollars more.  Same with Shazam.

His DCU announcement video has only like 1 million views on youtube.  The GA doesn't know shit about it.  The movie looked bad and people weren't interested on it.

With every website and social media page reporting/discussing it, I think the vast majority of the audience for DC films was made aware that the DCEU is getting rebooted.

• Like 1

Even though it flopped I imagine Gillman took away some of the family audiences that might've otherwise seen Spiderverse and Elemental, hence not great holds. Fortunately looks like they have a clearer path through July.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 21C said:

The intersection of fandom culture and GA culture is pretty strong these days IMO. Social media sites make it easy for geek stuff and movie business stuff to trend and get attention from casual fans. And frankly, core fandom excitement is generally a good belwether in terms of box office success these days. If the fans seem excited about how a movie is looking and the vibes are strong, it translates over to people who aren't as into online film discussion circles. Now I do think if no word got out about Gunn getting rid of the whole DC universe that it wouldn't make Flash a hit just like that. But it certainly hurt it IMO. Because if the hardcore fans don't care or understand these movies are a storytelling dead end, what does that say for people who only go to see these movies only once in a while?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Weeks ago, Film Twitter went out of its way to blame Zaslav and Gunn for The Flash. Even though neither greenlit it, were creatively involved and merely inherited it from the previous WB/DC regime.

So I'm gonna very curious if they are equally vicious to Bob Iger over the failure of Dial of Destiny. Or will everyone suddenly handle him with kid gloves and point out how he too inherited this?

Not the same thing at all. In general, we don't often blame leadership for film failures (box office failures more like it, since both films did reasonably well review wise). It is a part of the business that everyone accepts, the important thing is that the studio can profit overall

Zaslav went OUT OF HIS WAY to attach himself to Flash, which also belongs to a much more important property (DC vs. Indy, the latter is likely a one off and not core to Disney's future film slate). If Iger had 1) stuck with a lead star with documented cases of assault and weirdness and 2) started pushing Indy hard as the best film of the franchise (or the best film ever, which is closer to the hyperbole Zaslav used to promote Flash) I think the narrative regarding Iger and Indy 5 would be very different. Finally, Iger is one of the best CEOs of any major studio. Fight me all you want, he transformed Disney into an even bigger cash cow. Zaslav should not get the same leeway that Iger does, he'll have to earn that

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

this movie came out 30 years ago today. Remember when a star could take a legal thriller to 158 million domestic which would be well over 300 million today? One of the most fascinating things

MV5BNDMzNDEwM2EtN2I4YS00NjRjLTk5ZTAtZTg5

fantastic film too. Great score. 
The real midst of John Grisham mania. 

Top ten Cruise film. Maybe top five.