baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

I think all comedies can be enjoyed. You don't have to say oh I only enjoy raunchy comedies or I only enjoy romantic comedies. There's great movies in every genre of comedy.

American Pie didn't ruin anything.

Apatow didn't either.

Porky's, Revenge of the Nerds, two examples of classic raunchy comedies.

When Harry met sally, pretty woman, two examples of fantastic romantic comedies.

Knocked up, 40-Year-Old Virgin, two examples of classic more modern raunchy comedies.

It's okay to laugh at anything that you find funny.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

I understand it was all day, but b/c of the lower screen count it only has 4 shows a day even starting at 10am. So if a blockbuster gets previews at 3pm but has 4 showings that prior day, it should be viewed the same.

For the two AMCs where I live, one showed Sound of Freedom on 2 screens from July 3, several showtimes sold out that day. The showtime allocation probably differs by market based on local demand.

The 1980s had raunchy R-rated comedies but other types as well, even live-action family comedies could be hits. Hollywood could maybe try that if they are too scared of being edgy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Out of curiosity: What is your favourite comedy?

It’s way dated now, but I don’t think I’ve ever laughed as hard in a theater as watching Something About Mary for the first time. And (also dated), Anchorman is up there just for the quote-ability 

As far as recent … honestly probably don’t even have one? I enjoy films that have comedy mixed into the story (examples: Free Guy, Jumamji), but aren’t just straight trying to elicit laughs 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

It’s way dated now, but I don’t think I’ve ever laughed as hard in a theater as watching Something About Mary for the first time. And (also dated), Anchorman is up there just for the quote-ability 

As far as recent … honestly probably don’t even have one? I enjoy films that have comedy mixed into the story (examples: Free Guy, Jumamji), but aren’t just straight trying to elicit laughs 

Something about Mary and Anchorman are two of the funniest films I've ever seen. They're straight up classics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate to be so basic, but for me it’s Mean Girls. It’s probably every millennial gay man’s favorite comedy, but that’s deserved. Such a perfectly hilarious and iconic movie. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I hate to be so basic, but for me it’s Mean Girls. It’s probably every millennial gay man’s favorite comedy, but that’s deserved. Such a perfectly hilarious and iconic movie. 

Adding this to my list as well cause I forgot about it. Has also one of my favourite scripts of the 2000s, super tightly written, not a single beat misses the mark.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Yeah it’s kinda perfect one of the few movies that are simultaneously a whole meme but it’s also really high quality 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

Mine is probably either Hot Fuzz or a german comedy (which probably nobody here has ever heard of) called Der Wixxer, which is a satire of Edgar Wallace crime storys.

SPACEBALLLLLSSS!!! Watch out! 

I can watch this movie any day any time and I crack up laughing every time. 

Too many others to list. 

• Like 1

Let me tell you what, being a teenager in the 90’s, I was feasting on comedy.

SNL was stacked. Adam Sandler had Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, Chris Farley had Tommy Boy.  Jim Carrey was a god to me. Austin Powers, There’s Something About Mary. 

Just an embarrassment of riches(for a teenager, mind you lol). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I think all comedies can be enjoyed. You don't have to say oh I only enjoy raunchy comedies or I only enjoy romantic comedies. There's great movies in every genre of comedy.

American Pie didn't ruin anything.

Apatow didn't either.

Porky's, Revenge of the Nerds, two examples of classic raunchy comedies.

When Harry met sally, pretty woman, two examples of fantastic romantic comedies.

Knocked up, 40-Year-Old Virgin, two examples of classic more modern raunchy comedies.

It's okay to laugh at anything that you find funny.

10 Things I Hate About You is another fantastic romantic comedy.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Mine is probably either Hot Fuzz or a german comedy (which probably nobody here has ever heard of) called Der Wixxer, which is a satire of Edgar Wallace crime storys.

Punch-Drunk Love. My favorite movie overall too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark out, and we’re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Sounds like @CJohn

“Of course art matters,” he wrote in his Instagram story. “Of course cinema isn’t a waste of time. Sometimes words are taken out of context and things are lost in translation. I’ll explain myself soon. Also, I’m fine lol.”

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Small but a winning regardless

It's also likely going to be passing Lightyear's total by the end of next week. Honestly if it can find its way to the Cars 3 vicinity, I'd consider that a big win in this box office climate

• Like 3