baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

Since I posted an undoom and gloom, let me post a doom and gloom, too...

Sound Of Freedom is doing to Mi7 and later Oppenheimer what Spiderverse did to the June movies - sucking the air and money out of the follow on releases b/c folks are only seeing one movie/month max...so the movies this month that might have been the "one a season, once a year" draws are not gonna draw as much...

Not going to lie that number is a real bummer but I still feel like the casual older audience will come out on the weekend. I wonder how many of them even know it opened yet. Or they are perfectly content sitting on their ass watching it on P+ in a few months. Who the hell knows. 

I fail to see how GOTG3 didn't succeed in the slot it had with the hype it had. The movie was already profitable and succesful and worked in its current slot. Why reschedule and play a game of chicken with Mario in hopes that you could somehow make more in April?

Also Mario was NOT the only March release and GOTG3 would have had competition then as well.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Since I posted an undoom and gloom, let me post a doom and gloom, too...

Sound Of Freedom is doing to Mi7 and later Oppenheimer what Spiderverse did to the June movies - sucking the air and money out of the follow on releases b/c folks are only seeing one movie/month max...so the movies this month that might have been the "one a season, once a year" draws are not gonna draw as much...

I think the Sound of Freedom audience are people who haven’t been to the cinema in years? or only for religious films? 

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

yikes for MI 💣, Paramount has no franchises

Scream & Sonic spring to mind. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

What I mean when I say that Ant-Man 3 isn’t a good match for a February release date is that it’s a ‘family’ film on Black History Month featuring an white family with no sass or the valentine’s angle like Deadpool had. It doesn’t have the appeal of a February film, in my opinion, and worse, it’s still an Ant-Man film.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Not people already saying 200M is dead based on previews lol 

It should open with ~85M extended opening and honestly even factoring Barbenheimmer competition, 200M is pretty much standard legs after this type of opening for a franchise used with great legs. 

Maybe something completely unusual can happen and it will miss the milestone but right now that seems not only dooming but kinda absurd 

With that said, yeah, very disappointing previews. Cruise should hope people are just confused about the shift on dates and the weekend will be stronger than what this previews suggests.

• Like 4

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I have no idea how the weekend pans out, but this will likely miss a 75M 5 day if not 70M. This franchise has peaked.

Agreed. And announcing the Part two when you don't know how Part one makes reminds me how they announced the Dark Universe before the Mummy even opened. They are a little cocky and deserve a slap