CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

But if they don't have Leo going on Jimmy Fallon and being like "come see my new movie out THIS WEEK!" 

Cannes means nothing to the GA. MI7 trailer helps sure but like EVERY movie has a trailer and they play before big movies. 

It's not awareness that really matters here. All the movies being released by major studios will have some level of awareness unless they like dump it with little marketing. It's the reminder the movie is coming out that weekend.

A lot of movies these next few months already shot promo with the cast hyping up the projects before Thursday in preparation for the strike as a worst case scenario. Just the other week Zendaya/Josh O'Connor/Mike Faist were seen sitting down for interviews about Challengers in the event they couldn't promote it come September. Just because the stars might not be able to physically promote these movies this fall doesn't mean the studios don't already have stuff with the stars that they can't flood the public with. I imagine the majority of movies being released between now through at least Thanksgiving (which will start to see their promo campaigns kick into gear in October) have prepared their marketing campaigns in advance to avoid the risk of these movies being delayed to next year.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This one is not reaching 300M. It will end at 296-298M.

Variety has been anti-theaters for a while now. Every headline is negative for theaters and theatrical releases.

Shouldn't TLM be at 296M+ after next weekend? Not sure it hit's 300M but think the second number you gave is more likley.

Just now, Souther said:

Mate, why do you have such a hate boner for Tom Cruise? I mean the film is brilliant, what else could he have done ? Yes, the film is not going to make money and Variety has mentioned that is going to be an uphill battle to make profit, what do you want them to say now? 

I don’t. I have said itt several times: I have mad respect for him as a sort of movie theater ambassador. I just think that it’s hilarious how protective his fans are and how I believe that played a lot on how over predicted the film was here. 

Yeah, it’s doing better than Dial of Destiny when taken OS numbers into account, but it will also struggle to become profitable. We just had people complaining about how unfair Variety was with MI7 compared with how trades treated DoD and that’s their own personal biases talking, so I find it amusing to see.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Shouldn't TLM be at 296M+ after next weekend? Not sure it hit's 300M but think the second number you gave is more likley.

It will fall 70%+ next weekend.

• Knock It Off 1

In a perfect world, Napoleon makes over 300M DOM and 600M WW (180M from France) and ensures that historical epics make a comeback in cinemas.

Though that wont happen which is a crime and a tragedy. Since the best source for Hollywood for original, imaginative and basically endless fascinating human storys is right there - in the history books. Its free real estate.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The past 7 days added $5m and even with Barbieheimer this upcoming weekend, it still not too much to ask for another $4-5m to the current total $294m and that will give you $298m-299m. And for Disney, should movie should be ended with 99m. A labour day expansion and one double feature run should do the trick to $300m. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Austin said:

It's 3-day would have been higher given it had a 3-day release. Also, MI has a much better OS market share than Indy does.

And Indy’s 3-day would have probably also been higher without the holiday (and free time) looming ahead, less of a rush. Both had around $80M by end of 5 days 

The big difference between the two is international gross, which makes Indy a bomb and MI7 just “lackluster” @FunkMiller

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t. I have said itt several times: I have mad respect for him as a sort of movie theater ambassador. I just think that it’s hilarious how protective his fans are and how I believe that played a lot on how over predicted the film was here. 

Yeah, it’s doing better than Dial of Destiny when taken OS numbers into account, but it will also struggle to become profitable. We just had people complaining about how unfair Variety was with MI7 compared with how trades treated DoD and that’s their own personal biases talking, so I find it amusing to see.

Maybe because the films have been brilliant. Scoring 95% on RT consistently is not a joke and maybe thats the reason people love Tom Cruise because he makes awesome films. No one is denying that the film is going to lose money, but to mock and make fun of TC just because a film does not make money due to no fault of his (The budget got inflated due to COVID) is downright stupid. When the film was green lit, Maverick did not release and there is no way that Paramount approved the 291 million budget for the film.

At the end, he made a great film and thats what we expect out of him. If you don't like MI films, thats your prerogative but what are you gaining by make fun of people who support him and like his movies. 

btw ngl I'm actually sort of excited to see what movie marketing during the SAG strike era looks like. Feels like a lot of marketing tactics that used to be a part of the promotion like billboards had largely lost their relevancy once social media fully took over, it would be cool to see those make a comeback.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, filmlover said:

btw ngl I'm actually sort of excited to see what movie marketing during the SAG strike era looks like. Feels like a lot of marketing tactics that used to be a part of the promotion like billboards had largely lost their relevancy once social media fully took over, it would be cool to see those make a comeback.

Movie billboards went away? I never stopped seeing them. 

40 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Insidious was a terrible movie that didn't even have many scares in it. Horror fans must be desperate for content 

That was my biggest complaint about the film as well. I had a couple of jump scares but other than that it just wasn't scary and it really didn't feel like a horror movie. I remember the first two films scared the absolute but Jesus out of me. This one was just meandering along.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Frankly stunned by the amount of hype that Napoleon trailer got among my friend group tbh. Lots of shares and buzz. If it doesn't totally suck it should do at least 50m domestic.

I think the trailer succeeded in creating a connection to Gladiator with Ridley Scott as the director and Phoenix again as the lead actor this time. Gladiator has aged incredibly well, so i do think that director-actor-combination works in Napoleons favour a lot.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Frankly stunned by the amount of hype that Napoleon trailer got among my friend group tbh. Lots of shares and buzz. If it doesn't totally suck it should do at least 50m domestic.

Napoleon & Caesar are like two most famous & popular generals/rulers of all time. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Variety has been anti-theaters for a while now. Every headline is negative for theaters and theatrical releases.

For "scalable aggregate percentage deals" the difference in overall rental rate is probably 2 percentage points for exceeding 300M instead of 250M. Using that hypothetical, increasing from 297M to 300M is an increase of ~7.5M in actual revenue (or that * whatever percent use such deals) + whatever post theatrical value is for 300M v. 250M. Can they really not edge it over the finish line?

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, InVy said:

Napoleon & Caesar are like two most famous & popular generals/rulers of all time. 

Can't wait for the Napoleon vs Caesar movie

with a surprise appearance by Hannibal and Sun Tzu

• Haha 1