CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I would be so pissed if i was Tom Cruise and realize i dedicated years to create a dazzling cinematic achievement to lose some audience to something that looks like a glamourized TV movie lol 

1 hour ago, across the Jat verse said:

Tom Cruise is false god.

Papa Feige and Daddy Cameron true gods.

I should ban both of you for whiffing the Scientology jokes here 😂

52 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Great thread from the Nazi site that really summarizes the issue to me, and exactly what Tele and I were saying in the strike thread. Frankly I think the falling back on old, risk-averse answers is not just Hollywood rn, it is everything from politics to sports to news media. To be clear I really liked Dead Recknoning and am glad it exists, but doesn't change the reality it is a 7th movie in a franchise with an older star.

This is to everyone: that damn site doesn’t show the comments anymore if you are logged off. So it just murdered threads for non-logged in readers. 

So I know it’s annoying, but if you could post the whole thread for further similar posts, that could be great. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

FWIW I think that there is an element of swing to Barbie, sure it obviously isn't original but at least they are taking some creative risks, just like Spider-Verse. Beyond that, point is I am 99 percent sure theaters are fucked if they keep doing what they're doing, and only 96 percent sure they are fucked if they splurge on some big, risky/original projects. I'm a Democratic operative and I want us to nominate Whitmer or Warnock to maximize our long-term gain. I'm a Heat fan and I want us to trade contributors from our NBA Finals team to get Dame and maximize our upside. I'm a Tottenham fan and I want us to sell Harry Kane to PSG for $130 million euro of PSG blood money to benefit us in 2027. I recognize it is easier to say these things as a white guy with a stable job so it is easier for me to talk about risks, but still.

I agree with you it would be nice if Hollywood could break out of the franchise trends. Maybe lower budgets, but more creative storytelling with new characters would be nice. Of course, it could be argued that everything has already been done. I like to watch Turner Classic Movies and research a lot of movies from that time period. It is crazy how much ground was already covered from say 1920 to 1960 in the movie business. Maybe there isn't room to create original stuff anymore. 

Franchise movies can afford to take certain risks, since they have the large fanbase backing them regardless of what happens. We've seen this with multiple Star Wars movies, where people didn't like the movie but it still made a ton of cash because of the huge fanbase that showed up for it no matter what. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

they did so last year

I hate to break it to you, but even when a film breaks $1 Billion, there's still a huge untapped market of people who aren't seeing films in theaters. I never saw Top Gun 2 until it hit digital, for instance.

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The Venn Diagram of people seeing SOF and people seeing other Hollywood films is probably closer to two circles than y'all are making it seem.

Remember, the right-wing/QAnon crowd hates Hollywood because its "full of pedophiles." They weren't going to see a Tom Cruise movie anyway.

@across the Jat verse This sounds familiar, doesn't it

• Haha 1

4.)Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Dis) 3,865 (-735) theaters, Fri $3.3M (-57%) 3-day $11.4M (-58%)/Total $144.7M/Wk 3

If Deadline isn't lowballing...that's really bad with next weekend coming

11 minutes ago, jedijake said:

If Barbie becomes the biggest hit of the summer. good luck to all studios trying to decipher what the means for future movies.

I want a Micronauts movie ASAP!!!

One of the beauties of the movie business is you can’t always see these things coming and it’s hard to recreate the magic of the last thing. The sad thing is how much energy Hollywood wastes trying to recreate past successes. So many movies were trying to position themselves as the next Top Gun Maverick this year and failed. After the MCU hit it big, we’ve had a million cinematic universes crash and burn. The magic of Barbie will be hard to recreate and certainly doesn’t mean that people want every obscure toy to become a movie. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

4.)Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Dis) 3,865 (-735) theaters, Fri $3.3M (-57%) 3-day $11.4M (-58%)/Total $144.7M/Wk 3

If Deadline isn't lowballing...that's really bad with next weekend coming

Indy 5 will get slaughtered next week, b/c I think theaters (if they can) will keep Elemental over Indy so it's coming for a possible 1500-2K theater drop...

So, I'd expect a limp to $175M at this point...

• Like 1

Have to concede that the SoF effect is hurting MI7. Also Barbenheimer became an event and people are more mindful what they are spending their money and it isn’t going to cinema 3-4 times within a week or so. If you look at the performance globally it is doing what expected. UK and OZ are very similar in taste to US and MI7 is doing well in those markets. Obviously next weekend is going to be tough for DR but then hopefully the rest of August WoM will carry it well domestically. 

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

What the hell

SoF has hit its fan zeitgeist...just like Barbie has...

It's all people buying now...and it's in the older adult "must see" list b/c now all their friends are seeing it and recommending it.  It's a true WOM phenomenon right now.

It's a guaranteed keep for theaters next weekend.  B/c of how big it's gone, I'm gonna flip flop on Oppy, b/c originally, I thought $110M...then I thought it could approach $200M...but with SoF also taking part of its audience (serious drama movie goers), I'm thinking Oppy maxes at $175M now (aka Indy numbers), and could go lower.  It won't get a huge open set b/c of Barbie and it will continually be worn down on its weekdays by both MI7 and now SoF...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

SoF has hit its fan zeitgeist...just like Barbie has...

It's all people buying now...and it's in the older adult "must see" list b/c now all their friends are seeing it and recommending it.  It's a true WOM phenomenon right now.

It's a guaranteed keep for theaters next weekend.  B/c of how big it's gone, I'm gonna flip flop on Oppy, b/c originally, I thought $110M...then I thought it could approach $200M...but with SoF also taking part of its audience (serious drama movie goers), I'm thinking Oppy maxes at $175M now (aka Indy numbers), and could go lower.  It won't get a huge open set b/c of Barbie and it will continually be worn down on its weekdays by both MI7 and now SoF...

Still think Nolan will skew younger than Indy and MI7, but I’m talking out of my ass here, I don’t know the actual data. Anyone know what the audience breakdown for something like Dunkirk was?

33 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Great to see SoF having such amazing legs based on pure quality and for absolutely no other reason. A real old fashioned succes story. 

You realize that not even 10% of the total gross are from Pay it Forward tickts?

This movie is a huge success story, there are no two ways about it.

• Like 4

Posting Deadline's projected Top 10 as of Saturday morning...https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-tom-cruise-1235434821/

1.) Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (Par) 4,327 theaters, Fri $16.55M, 3-day $54.2M, 5-day $78M/Wk 1

2.) Sound of Freedom (Angel) 3,265 (+413) theaters, Fri $7M (+35%), 3-day $23.6M (+20%), Total $82M/Wk 2

3.) Insidous: The Red Door (Sony/Blum) 3,188 theaters Fri $4.15M (-73%), 3-day $12.65M (-61%)/Total $57.7M/Wk 2

5.) Elemental (Dis) 3,235 (-205) theaters, Fri $2.6M (-13%) 3-day $8.5M (-15%), Total $125M/Wk 5

6.) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sony) 2,577 (-446) theaters, Fri $1.72M (-25%) 3-day $5.7M (-29%) Total $368.4M /Wk 7

7.) Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (Par) 2,041 (-434) theaters, Fri $930K (-33%) 3-day $3.44M (-33%) Total $152.7M/Wk 6

8.) No Hard Feelings (Sony) 2,053 (-633) theaters, Fri $1M (-40%) 3-day $3.16M (-41%), Total $46.4M /Wk 4

9.) Joy Ride (LG) 2,820 theaters, Fri $770K (-71%) 3-day $2.44M (-58%)/Total $10.4M/Wk 2

10.) The Little Mermaid (Dis) 1,615 (-465) theaters, Fri $675K (-38%) 3-day $2.2M (-40%) Total $293.7M/ Wk 8

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm sure Dead Reckoning could do these numbers if Christopher McQuarie could have people "buy tickets" in bulk to donate them to a fradulent charity while the tickets go unused in empty theaters. Frankly Mojo and this site reporting these numbers as "reality" is the equivalent of me reporting that I broke Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game at my local YMCA against middle schoolers. But I already got my one warning point for bringing up Sound of Freedom so I will say no more! 

If somebody wanted to spend $45 to buy 3 tickets for Dead reckoning and use them as 1 for personal viewing+ 2 to be used by people who want to see the movie but can’t afford it, that seems… totally legit and good? I think this would have been a great option for say, Black Panther — in fact the gofundme’s leading to charity buys (which I think were good and pretty widely positively received?) are basically the same concept but with more convoluted logistics 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MrHardapple said:

You realize that not even 10% of the total gross are from Pay it Forward tickts?

This movie is a huge success story, there are no two ways about it.

There are about ten ways about it lol