CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

7 minutes ago, MrHardapple said:

It is my understanding that the tickets are counted for the day the ticket is used by the person who claimed a free ticket.

So if that is the case, then the gross numbers are true gross numbers of people using tickets (and someone paying for them). I don't see how that is an issue at all.

Is it confirmed that Friday's totals for MI:7 include the Early Access shows? If so does that mean true friday is closer to $14M?

$78M is going to require a pretty big Saturday jump to get there.

The last 2 installments have made 2.80 and 2.84 after their first 5 days (+ previews), so if MI:7 holds to that, then we are looking at a $220-$225 if you take the $78M.

• Like 1

Thank goodness DR Fri wasn’t that 14.5 after all. I feel this will end up being about as low of a performance as the movie could go without it being “bad”. That’s also going to highly depend as well on just how bad Barbenheimer kills everything in its path though. DR is hardly out of the woods yet for potentially being a disappointment. But lol at anyone mentioning Cruise’s career being over, even if this was an epic bomb. 

The issue i have with the pay it forward tickets is that.... presumably this works like any normal deal. It's not a case of people buying a crap ton of passes and handing them out to people on the honor system of using them for a certain movie, a quick check on the website for the pay it forward takes you to a slimmed down Fandango looking page that shows you all times for that specific movie for the day and you pre-order the ticket there. So pay it forward is literally just pre-orders for a specific movie, theoretically you could have people troll them by pre-ordering out an entire theater but i've seen people claim they've used the pay it forward thing to watch other movies which probably isn't possible unless they the theater allows them to get a refund to switch the movie once they get to the theater.

TLDR: 'Pay it forward' is pre-sold tickets and if you disagree that they are real tickets then why are you on a pre-sale tracking site?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t think that’s the same thing. 

Mainly because you claim your own deal and you know who uses it. It’s different from clicking the button on a website and assuming a stranger uses it. 

But it seems Hollywood is treating this as all above board. So it’ll definitely be interesting to see which films use this tactic next. I’m sure cinemas are enjoying it as long as the customers are buying concessions when they get there with their free tickets. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. If the tickets are only being counted when they are used, then the grosses are an accurate reflection of of usage. In that case, who cares who paid for it? It is being used.

The only thing that is different from what we are used to is that when I buy my son a ticket, I know my son is the one using that ticket - but he didn't pay for it, I did. So I know who used the extra ticket I bought. In this case the pay it forward person doesn't know who is using that ticket, but we know that the ticket is being used all the same.  It's no different than going through a toll booth, or a drive thru and paying for the person behind me. 

I don't really know much about this movie other than it has clearly resonated with a significant portion of the GA.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Thank goodness DR Fri wasn’t that 14.5 after all. I feel this will end up being about as low of a performance as the movie could go without it being “bad”. That’s also going to highly depend as well on just how bad Barbenheimer kills everything in its path though. DR is hardly out of the woods yet for potentially being a disappointment. But lol at anyone mentioning Cruise’s career being over, even if this was an epic bomb. 

It is infact 14.5M. The 16.5M number includes early access shows from last Sunday,Monday

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

But $16.55m apparently have EA gross from last Sunday and Monday  included according to source, so the true Friday may really at $14.5m. But no media including Deadline seem to confirm that officially.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

It is infact 14.5M. The 16.5M number includes early access shows from last Sunday,Monday

Ughhhhhh WHY would I actually trust Mojo in 2023, please someone put them out of their misery 

Edit: nevermind, guess it’s not technically a mistake, just how they’re choosing to include that gross. 

Edited by MovieMan89

DR screenings around me in the Bay Area seem to be pretty well sold today.

Anyway, got tickets for Barbie and Oppenheimer next weekend. Those showings are PACKED. (Also AMC A-List really is amazing).

3 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I don't really know much about this movie other than it has clearly resonated with a significant portion of the GA.

Hmm I’m not sure I buy that at all. Alas, a quick look back in this very thread or twitter will reveal the full story for you. 

Anyway, not wanting to derail the thread!

Barbie has sold out all evening showings at my local on Friday, holdovers will be losing more showtimes. 

Hopefully this is an okay discussion for this thread, but I'm glad to see another rock-solid hold for Transformers. It's another dent in the argument that people try to say putting a movie on PVOD "too early" kills its box office. Movie launched digitally (for purchase) on Tuesday. 

Obviously it's about balance. You don't want to do it after like 3 days. But I have a feeling it will play out nicely for Paramount here. 

New question is if TF can make a run to $160m. I feel dumb for saying it might not make it to $100m.

Edited by Starphanluke
  • Like 7

Anyway, yeah MI not looking great then. It seems very revisionist history to me to say DR1 doing 180-200 after so much post covid inflation, over a decade of flawless Mission WOM built up, and Cruise at the height of his career isn’t disappointing. If it even hits 180. Less would be outright bad. But yeah, Cruise’s career for making anymore blockbusters is not over now, that’s absurd lol. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, Rainy said:

DR screenings around me in the Bay Area seem to be pretty well sold today.

Anyway, got tickets for Barbie and Oppenheimer next weekend. Those showings are PACKED. (Also AMC A-List really is amazing).

Yet another way people effectively pay $3-5/ticket but get represented by a higher gross (in this case, it's likely AMC taking most or all of the hit by billing their less using subscribers and keeping a higher non-subscriber ticket price)...

3 hours ago, baumer said:

@Deep Wang I might be more inclined to get on the hype train that you have for sound of freedom. The initial number last night was six then it went up to 6.5 early this morning and now the official number is that it did seven. They're saying it could have a 26-28 million dollar weekend. These numbers are insane and I'm starting to think now maybe you're right. It really might be the fifth highest grossing movie of the summer. 😲😲

I should have made an impromptu club!  Not that it's in anyway locked yet, but until it starts behaving "normally" I'm just going to assume something insane is coming.

2 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Hopefully this is an okay discussion for this thread, but I'm glad to see another rock-solid hold for Transformers. It's another dent in the argument that people try to say putting a movie on PVOD "too early" kills its box office. Movie launched digitally (for purchase) on Tuesday. 

I just watched and it was quite enjoyable, had a good length (2 hrs), and didnt drag. From the June floppy landscape, I think it was the one that at least managed to flop less badly (without taking into account AtSV of course).

So MI7's Friday was a mess, yikes. Definitely suffering the effects of too many films in theaters at once I think. And I know summers are usually crowded, but this summer is frankly abnormally crowded compared to even most years pre-pandemic so I genuinely believe there being "too much" is a factor. MI has always struggled in my age group (25 and under) but even among the people who like/are interested there is a sentiment of there being too many movies in general playing and that it's time to pick and choose. I'm still holding firm on it legging out to near Rogue Nation numbers domestically but hoping Paramount takes it's time and markets/releases MI8 correctly to make sure this doesn't happen again.

The astroturfing movie making as much money as isn't surprising considering it is indeed an astroturf movie but it will likely hit $100M domestic and I don't feel good about that. Do think it will collapse like a rock next weekend though with Barbenheimer.

Insidious holding much better then I thought which goes to show how critic/CinemaScore proof a lot of horror is. Insidious 6 is probably being pitched as we speak.

Indy 5 will limp to like $170M domestic and just barely hit $400M WW if it gets lucky. We'll have to see how much it does drop when Barbenheimer hits but it's not going to be pretty regardless.

And finally, Elemental holding like a champ. Only a 12% drop from last week! That's an insane hold and I'm glad to see it continuing to trek alone. All board the train! #ElementalSweep

DR1 really is a horrendous title. Never mind the dreaded part 1, dead reckoning is not appealing sounding either. It’s also borderline on if it really even makes sense. Especially jammed onto Mission Impossible, already one of the longer franchise primary titles. And now they’re stuck with it a second time. Great.