CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

42 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

If Barbieheimer over 200 page count???

I'll be contributing. MI7 and barbenheimer are why I paid for a couple months here on BOT, to actually be able to load pages. 

So yeah, whatever the posting equivalent of "you have my ax" is...

You have my poasts

And my likes

And my reaction gifs

And my shitposts

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Movie billboards went away? I never stopped seeing them. 

They're still around of course, at least in LA from what I see on social media (especially for bigger movies), they just haven't really generated much chatter compared to other marketing in a long time. Social media is where everyone turned to for their eye-catching marketing once it became everywhere.

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

I'll be contributing. MI7 and barbenheimer are why I paid for a couple months here on BOT, to actually be able to load pages. 

So yeah, whatever the posting equivalent of "you have my ax" is...

You have my poasts

And my likes

And my reaction gifs

And my shitposts

I'm definitely calling the "you have my reaction gifs"

Happy If You Say So GIF

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Yeah, fair play. It'll still struggle to make much of a profit on that budget.

Ancilleries should be very solid post theatrical run though due to WOM. It should break even at the least from my POV.

• Like 1

I found it a bit disingenuous when reports bring up 300m budget in a headline. First of all, we all know what it went up because of covid. DR2 will obviously cost less. Really it looks like a 500m budget for both and DR1-2 will take 1.5m billion combined WW.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, M37 said:

And Indy’s 3-day would have probably also been higher without the holiday (and free time) looming ahead, less of a rush. Both had around $80M by end of 5 days 

The big difference between the two is international gross, which makes Indy a bomb and MI7 just “lackluster” @FunkMiller

Was there really a deflated 3-day for Indy? The 5-days being pretty similar is understandable but I'm new to BO and is there typically a deflated 3-day on the 4th for franchises' OW's?

51 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Killers will do >$300M believe. 

You better stop what you’re doing right now and go on my club and post that!!!

EDIT: Never mind, you did post it. Hats off to you fellow cinema believer

Edited by abracadabra1998
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I found it a bit disingenuous when reports bring up 300m budget in a headline. First of all, we all know what it went up because of covid. DR2 will obviously cost less. Really it looks like a 500m budget for both and DR1-2 will take 1.5m billion combined WW.

If the strike goes on for months then the budget for DR2 will also undoubtedly shoot up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I wouldn't say disingenuous, just giving out all the data and numbers for reference. We don't know how much the budget for MI8 will be so we shall see how much from MI8 will be lumped into MI7's budget. The movie certainly screamed a $300M budget when I watched it, and that's a compliment considering movies not looking quite their budget recently. *ahem* Indy 5 *ahem* Flash *ahem*

Edited by Austin

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If the strike goes on for months, I could really see Dune getting pushed. That one’s huge on starpower.

Yeah, i think Dune / Hunger Games / Marvels are the ones with the most chances of changing dates 

But let’s see, the industry is probably fine until September, then the pressure of shareholders will start to get too big. Delaying movies are expensive and can hurt the box office as well, nobody want that.

It’s so insane how things can go this far because they can’t pay people for their work. It’s because of situations like this i always ended up shocked seeing people that believes in meritocracy, there’s a bunch of wildly stupid people running Hollywood and getting millions to take some ridiculous dumb decisions.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This one is not reaching 300M. It will end at 296-298M.

Variety has been anti-theaters for a while now. Every headline is negative for theaters and theatrical releases.

It'll be $296-$298 m next week. Is that what you meant?

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, i think Dune / Hunger Games / Marvels are the ones with the most chances of changing dates 

But let’s see, the industry is probably fine until September, then the pressure of shareholders will start to get too big. Delaying movies are expensive and can hurt the box office as well, nobody want that.

It’s so insane how things can go this far because they can’t pay people for their work. It’s because of situations like this i always ended up shocked seeing people that believes in meritocracy, there’s a bunch of wildly stupid people running Hollywood and getting millions to take some ridiculous dumb decisions.

I think those three are probably the safest of all tbh. They're franchises with built-in fanbases, they wouldn't be exactly hurt by the stars being unable to promote them when everyone already knows they exist (that's before assuming they already have a bunch of promo already shot and waiting to be released in preparation that this strike lasts until October, which I'm guessing they do).

Edited by filmlover

27 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Frankly stunned by the amount of hype that Napoleon trailer got among my friend group tbh. Lots of shares and buzz. If it doesn't totally suck it should do at least 50m domestic.

The fact that we are getting movies like this, Oppenheimer, and Killers of the Flower Moon in the next few months is so great. We know Oppenheimer will succeed at this point. Fingers crossed for the other two. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The same factors are true though for almost all of the big budget films released this summer. Not sure why MI7 should suddenly be treated with kids gloves over its bloated budget. 

12 minutes ago, Austin said:

Was there really a deflated 3-day for Indy? The 5-days being pretty similar is understandable but I'm new to BO and is there typically a deflated 3-day on the 4th for franchises' OW's?

Yeah, it’s subtle, but OWs are inversely related to free time available during the week - having off from work on Monday 7/3 means a free day with no plans, whereas in the Fall, more business gets squeezed into weekends because everyone is busy M-F. Plus that weekend was really odd, with Fri and Sat being soft before Sunday saw increases - guessing a lot of Independence Day events or travel kept numbers down a bit, catching up later 

(this is why I always use the first full week rather than just weekend as the baseline for a film’s opening)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Nothing will convince me that Mi7 hasn’t left money on the table but what’s done is done. Hopefully Dead Reckoning 2 has a good release date and it can give us a better performance 

Yeah the Paramount marketing Department needs to get its shit together. I'm so in the bag for this franchise the bad marketing meant nothing to me but for casuals this was a terrible marketing campaign. Although they ran a great TG Maverick campaign so don't know what happened in the last year. Thank God the WOM is good and OS will help out.