Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

26 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think it was a movie 3 years ahead of its time. And I say 3 years because Scream came out in 96 and although different it had very similar ideas.

Reaction to it was incredibly mixed of course, I don't think people were ready for that kind of a meta movie.

Personally I remember liking it at the time but not loving it, but it has definitely grown on me over the years. There are so many clever observations in the movie my favorite being when stallone was the Terminator in a cardboard cutout and Arnold Schwarzenegger praised his performance.

I think the time it was considered Arnold's first real failure. But I do think it's aged rather well over the last 4 decades.

Couldn't agree more that even with its flaws it's aged well especially when you see the widespread success critically and commercially of stuff like LEGO Movie and Barbie which essentially are playing in the same sandbox with similar mega budgets. I mean, who wouldn't want Harry Houdini's magic ticket too? It's a great hook and they have a ton of fun with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

4 different decades though 👀

Then again, you know what's steaming towards me right now 😅

I mean, we wouldn't say The Matrix is 4 decades ago, or The Phantom Menace or The Sixth Sense. 4 different decades is a bit of an arbitrary measurement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

My local gave it 16 shows just for previews, and 18 for Friday - including 2 RPX.  Pretty comparable to CBMs opening to $125-75m.

The capacity issue isn’t just the number of total shows, but how many in the prime hours, roughly 3p-10p broadly (depending on market) and especially 6p-9p. Barbie’s short run time is allowing for more shows/screen, but getting 1-2 less screens and therefore prime shows than a comparable MCU $ value opening with a 2.5 hr run time 

The ceiling on the weekend is dependent on much people are willing to flock to the early and late shows to see it immediately vs wait for a better seat in a prime time in the days and weeks ahead. Oppy is an even worse spot with fewer screens, huge PLF draw, and the gargantuan run time limiting shows - but should produce very strong legs as demand keeps rolling forward 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cap said:

Y’all are doing the wrong order 🤦‍♀️. But have fun anyway! Wish I was there!

To be clear, this was purely a decision made out of logistics, not preference in order. Because of the way the showings were aligned and wanting to go to dinner direct after as a group, Oppenheimer made more sense while avoiding a long gap time (plus a few not doing the double header having either already seen Barbie or going another time)

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What was it like when Last Action Hero dropped in 1993? 

It was the Black Adam of its day. An article detailing the troubled production made it a laughingstock well before release.