Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

3 minutes ago, KC7 said:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

Friday Miday: Warner Bros.’ Barbie is eyeing $68M-70M today, including last night’s previews, for what’s shaping up to be the best opening of the year with $150M at 4,243 theaters. That would beat the 3-day of Super Mario Bros‘ $146.3M. Some rivals see higher like $165M-$170M but it’s still early and everyone is getting excited. Remember, female skewing movies are very front-loaded (remember a movie called Twilight?).

Universal’s Oppenheimer is certainly not getting scraps: It’s headed for $32M today, including previews, and a $75M 3-day at 3,610 theaters. That’s higher than Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny‘s $60.3M start. Wow.

Do your math, the two titles are fueling $225M alone this weekend.

So far, Paramount’s Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning despite shedding Imax, isn’t taking a horrible hit, -54% in weekend 2 with $25M with a $124.2M running total. Friday is looking like $6.6M.

Angel Studios’ Sound of Freedom at 3,285 is resilient as well with an amazing $20M, -26%, weekend 3 and running total of $124.4M. Disney’s Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is fifth with an estimated fourth weekend of $7M, -43% and running cume by Sunday of $159.3M.

There is no sync between 70M Friday and 150M weekend lol...feel like they are intentionally lowballing the weekend number

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

There is no sync between 70M Friday and 150M weekend lol...feel like they are intentionally lowballing the weekend number

if I remember correctly TDK got 158 off a 67m Friday, so agreed it seems like a lowball. Don’t know what the TDK previews situation was though. 

Im all for Barbie getting to a 180M OW

I will clap if it gets to 190M

I will be excited as hell if it crosses 200M OW

I would be exstatic if it goes up to 208,7M.

But not more than that.

Please not more.

• Haha 6

I know Deadline is Deadline but their projected hold for Indy would be insane. I honestly expected -70%+ implosion this weekend going against both MI and Opp and I thought that would be the one to bleed screens for Barbenheimer. The irony if this is what it took for that movie to finally have legs 

8 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

The issue is, they're using Twilight as their comparison, thinking they're similarly female-skewing, and those movies did make half of their weekend gross on Friday.

Twilight: $35.987M Friday; $69.6M 1st weekend

Breaking Dawn 2: $71.1M Friday; $141M 1st weekend

But those were books that had diehard fans, and not a infinite number, so of course they were frontloaded. They're ignoring that Barbie has a wider potential audience, especially with its reviews. At least in my area, the theaters are close to sold out all weekend so there's no sign its going to burn through half of its audience on the first day.

Edited by KC7
  • Like 4

There is one 6:45 p.m. showing of The Flash at my local theater LOL maybe I will go see that tonight before it gets yanked on Sunday

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know Deadline is Deadline but their projected hold for Indy would be insane. I honestly expected -70%+ implosion this weekend going against both MI and Opp and I thought that would be the one to bleed screens for Barbenheimer. The irony if this is what it took for that movie to finally have legs 

I wonder if Indy became the go-to spillover movie for people that couldn't see Barbenheimer because their showings were full.

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im all for Barbie getting to a 180M OW

I will clap if it gets to 190M

I will be excited as hell if it crosses 200M OW

I would be exstatic if it goes up to 208,7M.

But not more than that.

Please not more.

Yes More More More. 

star-wars.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzMOg_YWLyQVv_tbOc_Vb

Edited by Day and Date The Best

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

if I remember correctly TDK got 158 off a 67m Friday, so agreed it seems like a lowball. Don’t know what the TDK previews situation was though. 

tdk only had midnights and was 2nd real midnight blow up ever after SITH a few years before. Previews are much stronger presence now.

TDK had some capacity issues too, everyone thought it was heading for $120s. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

My feeling it they are too low on Oppy, Barbie could be on the point for high end. But they are too optimistic for holdovers barring SoF which is a different kind of beast. Let us wait until evening for more accurate numbers. 

I'm still working right now and I can't get to deadline very easily, can you post the article here or at least tell me what their projection is for sound of freedom? My projection for it was about 21 million.

Just now, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I wonder if Indy became the go-to spillover movie for people that couldn't see Barbenheimer because their showings were full.

nah..Indy lost only 32% of the shows...that's probably the main reason why it hasn't had a bigger drop. MI7 for example lost like 50% of it's shows. Some of the other holdovers like ATSV, TLM lost like 70% of shows. I think even Insidious3 lost like 40%+ of the shows

The cinema tonight was packed with queues for food and drink. Had to use Starbucks instead. 7 of us and we all wore something pink. So did everyone else it seemed. Oppenheimers 7pm IMAX showing was queued out into the foyer.

Never seen any cinema so busy. Ever. 

Barbie was excellent. Even better than I hoped it would be. Laugh out loud hysterical, feminist, clever, unique, beautiful. Everything. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm still working right now and I can't get to deadline very easily, can you post the article here or at least tell me what their projection is for sound of freedom? My projection for it was about 21 million.

It's on the last page.

7 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I mean it's not impossible. If that Friday number holds I would say 160..maybe 165M. 170M still seems like the most realistic high.