Eric is Anxious

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

That is true, but also MI films don't usually face 240m new openers combined on their second weekend. Every market where MI7 kept IMAX and PLF had great holds. A big zeitgeist opening takes some prisoners and this time it happened to be MI7. DR2 will be fine and back to top form.

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I agree with @ZattMurdock people went to hard with Robbie for the flop of such films like Babylon and Amsterdam. They were like full of stars, from acclaimed directors etc... some people acted at the time like they were roles similar to barbie where she was the only actor on the poster.  

That seems like basic common sense to me. The only place I ever saw this take was here. Is Gunn box office poison for The Suicide Squad? It’s obvious at this point he isn’t. I don’t understand the weird fixation of the board of deeming obviously popular actresses ‘box office poison’, that’s all. \

155.00M BARBIE

80.50M OPPENHEIMER

19.50M MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING I

6.50M INSIDIOUS: THE RED DOOR

2.82M SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE

1.08M NO HARD FEELINGS

265.4M weekend so far

Edited by kayumanggi

23 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Josh Hartnett trending on Twitter. Well done, Nolan.

Him and David Krumholtz need more high profile work ASAP.

I saw him, and I thought of you. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's not sexist to say that Margot Robbie wasnt exactly drawing in audiences before she did barbie. And don't think for a second that Jared Leto is getting a pass either, he's been ripped to shreds here at this site more times than not.

You got to check your definition of sexist. Sexist isn't criticizing a female because she doesn't do something particularly well. Sexist means you're making fun of her saying that her being a woman is the reason why your films aren't doing well that's of course not the case. Did you really

I think the issue is that Margot feels single out when she was called "poison" (considering that there are many other factors to the bomb).

I don't think Margot is normally a big draw, but she is hardly the reason why her movies bomb.

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s just absolute madness to me. Hell, my mom knows who Margot Robbie is and she knows that for ages and not through me, woman is incredibly popular and had ‘bombs’ with what, two indies and a day and date film? Why aren’t we calling Idris Elba or Will Smith box office poison too while we are at it? It just doesn’t make sense to me and it’s just one of these stupid narratives that go in circles here.

In less than 3 months I read that two persons were "box office poison" here on BOT: Margot Robbie and  Hailee Stenfield. Stenfield, the woman that was the lead on the single decent Transformers film ever made and one of the co-stars of the Spider-Verse films. It just doesn’t make sense to me why always young women are the ones called box office poison.

Well to be honest, I don't think Will belongs in this discussion at all given that he gave us Bad Boys, Independence Day, Men in Black in the span of three years. I think he'd already proven himself to be a main draw even if he had some flops afterwards. Barbie is the first time Margot has been the main draw of a big blockbuster movie so I get why there is some skepticism around her, though I certainly wouldn't call her box office poison. 

The fact one month ago the best scenario (not for the barbilivers were already thinking to a 130-140M weekend for barb) seemed 100M for Barbie + OPP in the first weekend and now they're gonna make more in the second. 

Edited by vale9001

8 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Normally I'd remind everyone - myself included - how Batman Begins - while a certified blockbuster at $205M - was a slow but steady commercial burn that left people starving for a sequel.

But general audiences are now quite adept at the concept of reboots. Hence The Batman grosses a pretty-damn-great $370M coming off two very divise and commercially-rejected films headlined by "Batfleck."

Superman: Legacy needs to be good, plain and simple. Warner Bros are still the best in the business when it comes to marketing. If Gunn gives them a commercially-viable four-quad Superman movie that people have been wanting for years, they'll work their magic.

Time will tell. But me... I think this is the moment.

I agree with this. I want to be cautiously optimistic about Superman Legacy, but Gunn brings a good will of the fans of the superhero genre that just isn’t there for DC films not called The Batman or Joker right now. I think that’s the actual secret power that DCU has it going forward right now. Gunn is talented and passionate about the superhero genre unabashedly, with three incredibly successful MCU films on his belt. That’s refreshing and a relief to me as a Superman fan.

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Barbie breakout is a sign that a movie is indeed rely on its visual to wow audience. The movie fully embrace its pink as eye-candy troops. Like Avatar 2, these two movies make me a grateful person on how I am not a blind and I will take care my eyes every second from now.

Remember, we say we watch or see a movie. Of course eyes is the first organ that a movie should pleasure. 

The three highest grossing films of the year (so far) were all colorful in some form 

Mario 

Barbie 

ATSV 

Plus Minions last year, and the spectacle of Avatar, TGM, now Oppenheimer, plus the comfort food in MCU titles. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that coming out of a pandemic, audience are looking for some major escapism vibes 

• Like 1

Just now, Kon said:

I think the issue is that Margot feels single out when she was called "poison" (considering that there are many other factors to the bomb).

I don't think Margot is normally a big draw, but she is hardly the reason why her movies bomb.

I don't think anybody is saying that these movies are her fault for not performing well but the fact that she's in them and they don't it's almost like her presence curses the film or something stupid like that. Of course it's not her fault it's just the way it is. Maybe she picks projects that don't resonate with the public.

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Complete tangent, but showing life can't always be good, the box office doing so well just meant the grand prix today was an absolute stinker. Let's go burn down the red bull factory @grim22

Genuinely F1 needs to bring back refueling, maybe the results won't change but the races and qualifying can be entertaining at least.

Anyone who claims Margot isn't the reason Barbie is so big is either trolling or not living reality lmao.

The entire selling point of the movie has been her from the very beginning. You arguably couldn't ask for a more perfect marriage between actor and character.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

155.00M BARBIE

80.50M OPPENHEIMER

19.50M MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING I

6.50M INSIDIOUS: THE RED DOOR

2.82M SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE

1.08M NO HARD FEELINGS

265.4M weekend so far

6.70M INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY

5.80M ELEMENTAL

277.9M weekend so far

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Genuinely F1 needs to bring back refueling, maybe the results won't change but the races and qualifying can be entertaining at least.

Not sure about refueling, but we definitely need lighter cars and longer braking zones. And a Ferrari team that doesn't constantly shit the bed, can you tell I'm still suffering?