Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

U.K. results from screendaily….

“A stunning £18.5m opening from Barbie and a huge £10.9m from Oppenheimer propelled the UK-Ireland box office to its biggest weekend in over four years.

The first time ever that two films have opened to over £10m each in the same session.”

£18.5m - Barbie: third-highest three-day opening since 2019, behind only James Bond title No Time To Die (£21m) and Spider-Man: No Way Home (£19.5m) from 2021.
Playing in 727 sites, its location average was £25,456 - the highest in over 10 years for a Warner Bros film.

Oppenheimer - £10.9m for Universal, at a £16,311 average. The second-biggest opening weekend ever for a Christopher Nolan film, ahead of Dunkirk (£10.1m), Inception (£5.9m) and Interstellar (£5.4m) and behind only The Dark Knight Rises (£14.3m). 

18% of the number was IMAX

Vue Cinemas said it was the highest attended weekend since Endgame in 2019.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

U.K. results from screendaily….

“A stunning £18.5m opening from Barbie and a huge £10.9m from Oppenheimer propelled the UK-Ireland box office to its biggest weekend in over four years.

The first time ever that two films have opened to over £10m each in the same session.”

£18.5m - Barbie: third-highest three-day opening since 2019, behind only James Bond title No Time To Die (£21m) and Spider-Man: No Way Home (£19.5m) from 2021.
Playing in 727 sites, its location average was £25,456 - the highest in over 10 years for a Warner Bros film.

Oppenheimer - £10.9m for Universal, at a £16,311 average. The second-biggest opening weekend ever for a Christopher Nolan film, ahead of Dunkirk (£10.1m), Inception (£5.9m) and Interstellar (£5.4m) and behind only The Dark Knight Rises (£14.3m). 

18% of the number was IMAX

Vue Cinemas said it was the highest attended weekend since Endgame in 2019.

Oppenheimer ahead of Dunkirk in the UK was not something I expected coming into the weekend, really speaks to the global quality of its success

• Like 4

Just now, reddevil19 said:

South Korea will hopefully also turn out for Oppie. 

But regardless of what happens moving forward, this weekend has been legendary.

Im already feeling nostalgic for like yesterday honestly.

17 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

South Korea will hopefully also turn out for Oppie. 

But regardless of what happens moving forward, this weekend has been legendary.

Speaking of which I saw a trailer of Nolan going on a Korean variety show to promote Oppenheimer. Hilarious.

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

The execution of Barbie as a film is definitely fresh and original.

I mean, it's different from what you expect of a Barbie movie, but the concepts aren't so original in current times.

That said, the promotion (that attracted most people) mainly focus on the humor and visuals related to Barbie. So, I wouldn't say Barbie movie is proof people want something fresh and original.

Edited by Kon

I began following box office reading a magazine here in Spain in 1995. In 1997 I began following it online thanks to cinema1.com (disappeared but had daily updates), guru and imdb. That year in top100 DOM and WW there were still under 100M DOM/200M WW grossers.

BO was changing dramatically and it was thrilling.
Almost three decades following BO... And for me this has to be one of the most surprising and defining BO weekends. Not just because of the grosses but also because of the kind of movies that achieved that and how they reached these openings.

Edited by stripe
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Speaking of which I saw a trailer of Nolan going on a Korean variety show to promote Oppenheimer. Hilarious.

Nolan being thrust into going to talk shows and variety shows because the cast can't promote the movie.

• Haha 2

Those Sunday holds 

Steve Brule What GIF

Not really surprised for Oppy, but like -7% for Barbie??? I’m amazed that was physically possible given how full shows were on Fri/Sat, particularly in the evening. Can’t overstate how difficult it is to replicate that $ value on a Sunday for a movie with a heavier nighttime volume, trading Sat evening priced tickets for matinee shows, and still retaining enough nighttime business to be nearly flat 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

just heard on good morning America that this was the 4th biggest weekend ever at the box office

Yes with a good chance of going higher. Currently Studio estimates put it at $301m which is 4th all time https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/weekend/biggest-overall

However we know Barbie's actuals are probably 9m higher than estimates. Throw in some other revised estimates going up and #2 is within striking distance.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

just heard on good morning America that this was the 4th biggest weekend ever at the box office

That is correct as of estimates, and could possibly climb to 3rd (ahead of Infinity War) or 2nd (TFA Xmas) after Sunday numbers go way up from estimates 

Will for sure be the 3rd highest grossing FSS, behind only Endgame and Force Awakens, ahead of 4) IW and 5) Avatar Xmas (in 2009 $!!)

Edited by M37

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Yes with a good chance of going higher. Currently Studio estimates put it at $301m which is 4th all time https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/weekend/biggest-overall

However we know Barbie's actuals are probably 9m higher than estimates. Throw in some other revised estimates going up and #2 is within striking distance.

Most of the upward revision will be from Barbieheimer and I don't think the rest can have contribute any push. If only MI7 can have stronger sales, instead of going sub-20.

Just overheard people on the street talking about how they're going to Barbie this afternoon because they couldn't get in over the weekend. 

I hope this weekend is a catalyst going forward, reminding people that movies beyond the average blockbuster are worthy of being seen in a theater, I don't want this to be a one off. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just overheard people on the street talking about how they're going to Barbie this afternoon because they couldn't get in over the weekend. 

I hope this weekend is a catalyst going forward, reminding people that movies beyond the average blockbuster are worthy of being seen in a theater, I don't want this to be a one off. 

Post 2019 shows to me movie going is now mostly about blockbuster viewing that becomes a must see event. Everything else mostly does okay or underperforms

No way home made nearly 2 billion bucks during a massive global omicron wave lol.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Most of the upward revision will be from Barbieheimer and I don't think the rest can have contribute any push. If only MI7 can have stronger sales, instead of going sub-20.

Barbie & Oppy alone are going to be up $10M, which brings total to $311M, and not all studios reported estimates on Sunday. It may come down to whatever Cobweb was able to bring in this weekend 

30 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's gonna be hard to replicate more than every quarter b/c this became an event, and folks do like "rotating" between events.

This became a party for its audience, and an event to see and be seen - but most folks don't want a party every week at the same place.

Christmas was Avatar 2

Spring/Easter was Mario

Summer is Barbieheimer

Now, you just need to predict the event of fall and winter...there's only gonna be one for each, tops (unless you get a weekend where the 2 become 1 like this one)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1