Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I just don't consider Fall Guy to be the kind of original, daring filmmaking people are talking about tbh. The beats look extremely predictable, the action and car chases doesn't look particularly memorable or fantastic like a 90s action movie, and the entire thing kind of reeks of the snippy, "well that happened" jokes and then generic hero triumph formula (don't want to say MCU formula but...) that has pervaded films for awhile. I think The Watchers, Trap, Horizon, and to a lesser scale things like Kinds of Kindness, the Bikeriders, and Fly Me To The Moon are all much more original looking works, and much bigger tests for viability. 

Your perception is totally wrong, it's not supposed to be some original or daring filmmaking, I have no idea where you took this, it's an old-fashioned crowdpleaser with very charming stars, solid action, solid romance, some solid jokes and some creative moments, it's exactly like its trailers and there's nothing wrong with that, in fact we don't have many movies like this today, just genuine and well made good time in a movie theater.

And in what way The Bikeriders or Fly Me To The Moon are original? You might as well say Deadpool & Wolverine is original, that's just laughable, I mean c'mon.

Edited by Firepower

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I just don't consider Fall Guy to be the kind of original, daring filmmaking people are talking about tbh. The beats look extremely predictable, the action and car chases doesn't look particularly memorable or fantastic like a 90s action movie, and the entire thing kind of reeks of the snippy, "well that happened" jokes and then generic hero triumph formula (don't want to say MCU formula but...) that has pervaded films for awhile. I think The Watchers, Trap, Horizon, and to a lesser scale things like Kinds of Kindness, the Bikeriders, and Fly Me To The Moon are all much more original looking works, and much bigger tests for viability. 

Agree, especially the stench of Marvel in the jokes. 

But I also don't think the general audience really gives a shit about a movie where the leads are a director and her stuntman. It's kind of alienating. 

• Like 2

Not sure where they’re getting a 30m 4-day for Garfield. It’s pacing ahead of Trolls 3 and when you take into account a holiday weekend which means minimal drops on Sunday and Friday I’d guess closer to 45 or 50 million

Just now, Flip said:

Not sure where they’re getting a 30m 4-day for Garfield. It’s pacing ahead of Trolls 3 and when you take into account a holiday weekend which means minimal drops on Sunday and Friday I’d guess closer to 45 or 50 million

*Monday not Friday 

21 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

THE FALL GUY

Thursday 

T-3

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.9%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

T-3

(0.828x) of Civil War $2.40M

(1.630x) of Challengers $2.61M

Comps average: $2.51M

Not impressed at all with this T-3 update

FLORIDA 

THE FALL GUY

Thursday 

T-2

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

2.1%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

T-2

(0.813x) of Civil War $2.36M

(1.442x) of Challengers $2.31M

Comps average: $2.33M

It's slipping fast against comps. Kind of a yikes update. I wonder if other markets are seeing this aswell. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Your perception is totally wrong, it's not supposed to be some original or daring filmmaking, I have no idea where you took this, it's an old-fashioned crowdpleaser with very charming stars, solid action, solid romance, some solid jokes and some creative moments, it's exactly like its trailers and there's nothing wrong with that, in fact we don't have many movies like this today, just genuine and well made good time in a movie theater.

And in what way The Bikeriders or Fly Me To The Moon are original? You might as well say Deadpool & Wolverine is original, that's just laughable, I mean c'mon.

I'm just saying that I don't think it's the end all or be all of original movies. I am excited for it because of the reviews. If I wasn't plugged into the reviews, I would probably skip it tbh! Many others feel the same probably. 

Critical reception has inevitably slipped from the initial SXSW hosannas, so I do feel like it doesn't really look outstanding enough anymore to push casuals into it who would just as well be spending their weekend at a ballgame or amusement park or something.

Hmm...two duds in a row...might need to schedule another rant about undemanding audiences this weekend? Or maybe I'll wait until all the other non-NTCs this summer bomb...let's see.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

I'm not actually doing that btw, don't worry about it. I know y'all don't want to hear it lol

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Critical reception has inevitably slipped from the initial SXSW hosannas, so I do feel like it doesn't really look outstanding enough anymore to push casuals into it who would just as well be spending their weekend at a ballgame or amusement park or something.

The fact that this movie may be going from a mild disappointment to a possibly outright bomb now. What do people want? So it has to be 95-100%  or something on RT now for a movie like this to break out. Sigh

May is looking like a theater wide shutdown bankrupcy level event. What a disaster in the making.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

May is looking like a theater wide shutdown bankrupcy level event. What a disaster in the making.

There just doesn’t look like anything strong in May. Apes franchise is well liked but it’s never been outrageously popular. Furiosa is also fairly niche. IF and Garfield might bring in some families but they are hurting  each other by being one week apart. 

22 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The fact that this movie may be going from a mild disappointment to a possibly outright bomb now. What do people want? So it has to be 95-100%  or something on RT now for a movie like this to break out. Sigh

No. It has to be based on a popular IP people recognize from their childhoods, and then it can break out. If you dare to make something original or even based on something obscure, you're doomed to failure 90% of the time. Audiences are frankly repulsed with anything that isn't something they are already familiar with. Kind of disconcerting if I'm being honest.

• Like 2