katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

For what it's worth Oppy didn't sell out the LIEMAX or Dolby at Aventura Mall (one of the biggest theaters in America) yesterday and is close to totally sold out for all the weekend showings both today and tomorrow so the whole three hour thing is very real outside that opening Thursday.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah what happened with that. Had such a good PTA the first weekend.

$2K+ PTA this weekend in nearly 6x as many theaters as it had last weekend where it earned a $5,500 PTA isn't bad. It takes a lot for specialty titles to have crossover appeal these days.

2 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

88.5-91.5 I guess

What's the reason behind the minimal weekend jump though? I would have assumed that matinees on Sat and Sun would enable Barbie to play at the very least reasonably higher than the weekdays

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

So $95M second weekend is done?

I don't think so. Looking like around 90M, give or take, based on Saturday projections. (If that pans out, I have the right to brag, because I predicted this, and I'm not often right. 😜)

FRI: 29M

SAT: 32.5M (+12%)

SUN: 28.6M (-12%)

TOTAL: 90.1M

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheddar Please said:

What's the reason behind the minimal weekend jump though? I would have assumed that matinees on Sat and Sun would enable Barbie to play at the very least reasonably higher than the weekdays

Barbie had insanely strong weekdays. TDK also had really strong weekdays, which led to a brick wall effect for TDK on the weekend. Perhaps Barbie is having a similar issue. It's still doing phenomenal business in the grand scheme. It's all icing on the cake! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeQ said:

I don't think so. Looking like around 90M, give or take, based on Saturday projections. (If that pans out, I have the right to brag, because I predicted this, and I'm not often right. 😜)

FRI: 29M

SAT: 32.5M (+12%)

SUN: 28.6M (-12%)

TOTAL: 90.1M

Peace,

Mike

No, I need Marion out😠

tumblr_nqu7dvkDvs1qa45c1o1_500.gif

5 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

MI passes Creed 3 and Transformers dom? 

It still should. It will be at about 138-140 by weekend end. The goal right now is to get to No Time to Die's 160 which it should do but the sceen bleed this week with TMNT and Meg 2 both opening. They really need to  do a rerelease in the fall.

• Thanks 1

Just want to remind everyone, that at this volume level and with capacity constraints, daily numbers get weird, in that there is limited room for growth

Daily demand is likely more variable than the supply will allow, and so gross numbers flatten out. Barbie for example could have something close to a $60M OD Fri if given sufficient seats, and instead that excess demand has been rolling forward all week, perhaps finally cresting yesterday, certainly by Mon or Wed, and we’ll start to see a more “normal” flow across days 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah what happened with that. Had such a good PTA the first weekend.

Barbenheimer. It was exact direct competition for the same audience as Theater Camp and that killed any momentum second weekend onwards.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
9 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Spillover demand throughout the week wreaks havoc on "normal" increases and drops, especially in peak summer.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Just want to remind everyone, that at this volume level and with capacity constraints, daily numbers get weird, in that there is limited room for growth

Daily demand is likely more variable than the supply will allow, and so gross numbers flatten out. Barbie for example could have something close to a $60M OD Fri if given sufficient seats, and instead that excess demand has been rolling forward all week, perhaps finally cresting yesterday, certainly by Mon or Wed, and we’ll start to see a more “normal” flow across days 

In that case, I'd be very interested in knowing what kind of number it's about to post on Monday 👀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny2487 said:

That early Barbie Saturday number looks incredibly underwhelming. 

why? Summer weekdays would never have something like this megahit having a monster Saturday jump. Seems perfectly in line with its behaviour to date to me? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Doing what lol

Not understanding how Box Office works. It's the summer  leading to big weekday numbers which deflates the weekend a little bit and yet here on a box office forum people either play or are dumb just to get all dramatic.