katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$9M overseas is brutal. The last time Disney will heavily invest in this property for the big screen.

TBH it's not something that's ever resonated with audiences given it's based off a ride. Pirates and Jungle Cruise could at least sell itself on the premise and the stars.

• Like 2

If Barbie increases with actuals, more likely than not I say, it could hit $400M on Wednesday, its 13th day. It will certainly reach that milestone by Thursday at the latest. WB would likely have been ecstatic with $400M being the global number for all of 2023, let alone the domestic two week total. Still, I have faith that the WB accountants will find a way to show Barbie is not a profitable film on their balance sheets.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

2nd Sat/Sat drop: 5.7%

Top gun fell sub 30% in second weekend. It also had 8 straight weekends where it fell around or better than 20%, two of which were increases. Not to mention another two sub 15% drops early in its run. It's legs were something else entirely...

• Like 1

Just now, LonePirate said:

If Barbie increases with actuals, more likely than not I say, it could hit $400M on Wednesday, its 13th day. It will certainly reach that milestone by Thursday at the latest. WB would likely have been ecstatic with $400M being the global number for all of 2023, let alone the domestic two week total. Still, I have faith that the WB accountants will find a way to show Barbie is not a profitable film on their balance sheets.

With Mattel involved, I think they won't even dare to try make it unprofitable. 

10 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

that really looks like quite a reach. Barbie's twitter account didn't even discuss about content of Oppenheimer movie or anything...just acknowledging the Barbenheimer meme which has pretty much been a phenom Worldwide. Does it mean entire world is insulting victims of atom bomb ? I really hope it's just a fringe group that's considering the above tweet from Barbie account as insult to atom bomb victims

Majority don't care. Some even explained the event of Barbenheimer but looks like after Official reactions, are turning back. Not everything is about sluring the official but some really finds uncomfortable. We will see the impact on upcoming weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

:whosad:

61% Female? Between this and Barbie are men even going to the theaters right now? Sure Oppenheimer but maybe Mission would be doing better if men you know got off their ass and went while their wives, daughters and sisters did their thing. I sort of jest because plenty of men are seeing Barbie yes. Except for older men who could be helping Mission out here. Just saying. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

TBH it's not something that's ever resonated with audiences given it's based off a ride. Pirates and Jungle Cruise could at least sell itself on the premise and the stars.

Yeah, I'm betting 90% of people that watched POTC worldwide don't even know it's - supposedly - based off a ride. The whole "based on a ride" provides no boost.

I suppose the whole justification of these theme park movies is the obsession with corporate synergy. Disney seems to have become incapable of greenlighting any single live action project that it's not based on existing Disney IP.

• Like 3