setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

27 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

The last time a WB movie won the year was in 2014 with AMERICAN SNIPER. If BARBIE wins the year, that'll be a 9-year gap.

Imagine if this were Disney and they depended on one movie to save them from this kind of drought. The discourse would be very different. Lol Barbie has seemingly distracted some from WB being in a more precarious situation than perhaps any other studio, especially with the DC brand being so tainted.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Wondering if TMNT slightly hurt Barbenheimer today due to taking screens and a new film in the marketplace.

Could be, but I’d think demand just burning off has got be a factor. Both films have been doing crazy numbers for 10 days and a cooldown is inevitable. I think the numbers are still good, just coming down to Earth.

Talking about movies centered around the female audience and the first thing y'all say is romcoms, lol. Women want stories about womanhood that are relatable, expansive, and real. That's why Barbie is thriving like this (and to an extent the reason why Taylor Swift is the biggest artist of the century). 

Don't put women inside a box. 

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Heart 1
  • ...wtf 1

43 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Imagine if this were Disney and they depended on one movie to save them from this kind of drought. The discourse would be very different. Lol Barbie has seemingly distracted some from WB being in a more precarious situation than perhaps any other studio, especially with the DC brand being so tainted.  

They didn’t have a 9 year drought just because they didn’t have the number one movie of the year. Precarious situation is basically due to back to back mergers. Something Disney hasn’t had to go through. Really yet to be determined where the new regime takes things

32 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Talking about movies centered around the female audience and the first thing y'all say is romcoms, lol. Women want stories about womanhood that are relatable, expansive, and real. That's why Barbie is thriving like this (and to an extent the reason why Taylor Swift is the biggest artist of the century). 

Don't put women inside a box. 

I admit "romance" was the easy answer, but we couldn't really deny that A LOT of women are really interested in romance stories.

Romance is a pretty popular genre, especially between women. It's just big budget movie don't often have a lot to offer on romance genre. TV shows or streaming could often offer something pretty similar in romance genre.

PS: "Real" stories won't necessary attract women. Barbie movie wasn't show that way in the promo.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

They didn’t have a 9 year drought just because they didn’t have the number one movie of the year. Precarious situation is basically due to back to back mergers. Something Disney hasn’t had to go through. Really yet to be determined where the new regime takes things

Not just mergers but their own incompetence. The demise of the DCEU (which was doomed from the start imo) is due to the latter. Give them props for Barbie but there's so much uncertainty surrounding just about everything else. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I just assume WB are in chaos as their default so any major hits they have come as good surprise for me.

I suspect WB are a little angry with themselves for not demanding a more open ending to Barbie (at least, not leaving the relationship between Barbie and Ken so closed).

Edited by Kon

39 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I just assume WB are in chaos as their default so any major hits they have come as good surprise for me.

If Gunn doesn’t fuck it up with the new DC, I really do think Barbie could be a big turning point though. They have been down and out for a decade, feels like the right time for a big turnaround. Especially with Disney having lost its footing. 

Edited by MovieMan89

35 minutes ago, Kon said:

I suspect WB are a little angry with themselves for not demanding a more open ending to Barbie (at least, not leaving the relationship between Barbie and Ken so closed).

Nah, not every movie should be made to tease a franchise. There’s a whole Barbie World for them to explore if need be. 

$15.3M for Barbie would be a 2% increase for $381.7M total. She passes AtSV to claim the summer crown and she will likely pass $400M on Thursday. She is now $193M behind TSMBM.

$7M for Oppenheimer would be a 2% increase for $188.4M total. He's locked in at #5 for the summer for now with $109M more to go to catch TLM. He will pass $200M on Thursday or Friday.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Barbenheimer still killing it.

First Tue-to-Tue Drops for Biggest July Openers (80m+)

1. Barbie: -41% (est.)
  2. The Secret Life of Pets: -41.0%
  3. Oppenheimer: -42% (est.)
  4. Despicable Me 2: -43.3%
  5. The Lion King: -49.9%
  6. Spider-Man: Homecoming: -49.9%
  7. The Dark Knight Rises: -50.6%
  8. POTC: Dead Man’s Chest: -52.4%
  9. Minions: -52.4%
  10. Thor: Love & Thunder: -52.8%
  11. Minions: The Rise of Guru: -53.2%
  12. The Dark Knight: -53.9%
  13. Spider-Man 2: -54.8%
  14. Transformers: Dark of the Moon: -54.9%
  15. Black Widow: -55.6%
  16. Harry Potter 7 (Part 2): -57.9%
  17. Spider-Man: Far From Home: -61.4% (opened on a Tue)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

11 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Barbenheimer still killing it.

First Tue-to-Tue Drops for Biggest July Openers (80m+)

1. Barbie: -41% (est.)
  2. The Secret Life of Pets: -41.0%
  3. Oppenheimer: -42% (est.)
  4. Despicable Me 2: -43.3%
  5. The Lion King: -49.9%
  6. Spider-Man: Homecoming: -49.9%
  7. The Dark Knight Rises: -50.6%
  8. POTC: Dead Man’s Chest: -52.4%
  9. Minions: -52.4%
  10. Thor: Love & Thunder: -52.8%
  11. Minions: The Rise of Guru: -53.2%
  12. The Dark Knight: -53.9%
  13. Spider-Man 2: -54.8%
  14. Transformers: Dark of the Moon: -54.9%
  15. Black Widow: -55.6%
  16. Harry Potter 7 (Part 2): -57.9%
  17. Spider-Man: Far From Home: -61.4% (opened on a Tue)

Peace,

Mike

is there any r rated movie in this list besides Oppenheimer