grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

38 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deadline

I'm going to guess that Sacramento is just full of old people @Porthos

25 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

are you calling porthos old?

With age comes wisdom.

With wisdom one learns which posts to respond to in full...

and which to react to with only a passing, fleeting, acknowledgment. 🙂 

• Astonished 1

From Deadline:

“We can’t forget this record: Eras Tour will rep the biggest start ever for a movie distributed by a movie theater chain.”

What are the other films distributed by a cinema chain and not a studio? 

“In regards to the top 100 theaters by presales for the movie today, 98 of those belonged to AMC; a feat rival studio distribution bosses have never seen before.”

“One boutique chain exhibitor griped to us that on a mega weekend such as this, they’re typically ahead; however, with Eras Tour, they’re under-indexing. That’s because when AMC announced their distributed movie, they got out in front, hence conception for moviegoers is that the only place to watch Eras Tour is at an AMC theater.”

AMC and Taylor are the winners here, not necessarily cinemas in general it seems.

That’s good it’s $40m+, would be strange if it missed Deadlines low range from last night (40-50m and 107-125). 

Taylor Swift cast as Captain Marvel in Deadpool 3, with a new backstory of having had a relationship with Wolverine. Following the break-up whe is exposed to an alien jukebox, giving her superpowers and only allowing her to talk in song form. Will be the new leader of the Avengers moving forward.

Edited by reddevil19

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

From Deadline:

“We can’t forget this record: Eras Tour will rep the biggest start ever for a movie distributed by a movie theater chain.”

In regards to the top 100 theaters by presales for the movie today, 98 of those belonged to AMC; a feat rival studio distribution bosses have never seen before.”

That stat is absolutely insane to me...AMC hit the absolute jackpot on this...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What’s the biggest second weekend drop for a $100m opener? 

Edit. Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2:  -72%

HP was and probably remains the king of consistent frontloadedness. No matter how good or OKish any of these movies was, they all opened huge and dropped like stones in 7 days.

• Like 1

Can I just say it’s nice how unpredictable this movie’s Friday has been? I love the tracking team of course, but it’s good to have a movie where nobody knows if it will get to 28M, 39M, 45M, etc. a nice throwback where we all get hyped or melt down, despite this being an objective success story.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

“In regards to the top 100 theaters by presales for the movie today, 98 of those belonged to AMC; a feat rival studio distribution bosses have never seen before.”

“One boutique chain exhibitor griped to us that on a mega weekend such as this, they’re typically ahead; however, with Eras Tour, they’re under-indexing. That’s because when AMC announced their distributed movie, they got out in front, hence conception for moviegoers is that the only place to watch Eras Tour is at an AMC theater.”

That AMC specifically was tied to the initial announcement, and such a large share of tickets (75% !!!) were purchased in the first days and weeks, I'm not surprised they dominated the market. There was little to no GA audience to come out at the end to balance out the market share

20 minutes ago, Eric Feels 22 said:

Can I just say it’s nice how unpredictable this movie’s Friday has been? I love the tracking team of course, but it’s good to have a movie where nobody knows if it will get to 28M, 39M, 45M, etc. a nice throwback where we all get hyped or melt down, despite this being an objective success story.

There has absolutely been a much higher degree of uncertainty here, both with the ATP bumps and market variances, but I don't think the range was quite that wide over the final week. More of a question of whether it would shade closer to the lower or higher tracking values. Final tracking average was just shy of $40M for OD Friday, and that looks to be fairly close to the $36M-$38M number we're going to see reported

• Like 2