grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

11 minutes ago, Dephira said:

1989 is my least favorite Taylor album (although Style and Blank Space are spectacular) so between the two of us we have a hot take for sure 

As a whole though I wouldn’t call it a hot take. Individual tastes may vary but it’s inarguably her most popular album. The TV could challenge Midnights 1st week numbers, which is just further indicative of how big/loved the original was. 

1 hour ago, Eric Feels 22 said:

Well with that much time to kill...who has some Taylor hot takes to share?

Is me saying 1989 is her best album a hot take? Because I guess that's mine. Though Bad Blood is pretty trash. Red is a fun one too, though that is more thanks to certain singles like 22 and We Are Never Getting Back Together.

Her best album(and the only one actually worth listening to as a whole)  is obviously Folklore.

Eh, Evermore is alright

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do wonder if we'll ever see a theatrical production crack the top ten? I know in the US, SAG and American Equity can't seem to agree on how a recorded performance is compensated. it's not an issue elsewhere such as British Equity since theatre and film are agreed by the same union.

The biggest problem with Broadway proshots is that most productions generally have niche fandoms, especially compared to pop stars like Swift or Beyonce. And the ones that have broken out with the GA already have successful film adaptations (Chicago, Les Miserables, West Side Story) or already have proshots available on DVD (Phantom of the Opera).

So apart from Hamilton, there's not much you can really capitalize on. At least if you want something more than a Fathom Event showing. Maybe Lion King, because it's so different from the animated movies? But that's all I can really think of.

Just now, Eric Feels 22 said:

The biggest problem with Broadway proshots is that most productions generally have niche fandoms, especially compared to pop stars like Swift or Beyonce. And the ones that have broken out with the GA already have successful film adaptations (Chicago, Les Miserables, West Side Story) or already have proshots available on DVD (Phantom of the Opera).

So apart from Hamilton, there's not much you can really capitalize on. At least if you want something more than a Fathom Event showing. Maybe Lion King, because it's so different from the animated movies? But that's all I can really think of.

Avenue Q would have been an interesting one to try a decade ago...

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Serious question. Could KOTFM be number 1 next weekend? It seems very possible. If Taylor is really frontloaded and Killers does at least in the range Shawn is saying. Will be interesting. 

I see no reason why it wouldn't.

The only way Hollywood is touching Broadway these days is through adapting musicals that have associations with iconic movies (The Color Purple, Mean Girls). The embarrassment whenever a movie adaptation of a popular Broadway musical flops tends to be much higher than when any other genre sees failure for reasons not entirely explainable.

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Serious question. Could KOTFM be number 1 next weekend? It seems very possible. If Taylor is really frontloaded and Killers does at least in the range Shawn is saying. Will be interesting. 

I’m expecting Eras to get 105M this weekend and then drop 80% next weekend, so that should be doable 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The only way Hollywood is touching Broadway these days is through adapting musicals that have associations with iconic movies (The Color Purple, Mean Girls). The embarrassment whenever a movie adaptation of a popular Broadway musical flops tends to be much higher than when any other genre sees failure for reasons not entirely explainable.

Wasn’t the Cats musical canceled shortly after the movie came out because the movie soured people’s opinions on it?

Just now, Arlborn said:

Wasn’t the Cats musical canceled shortly after the movie came out because the movie soured people’s opinions on it?

Cats had been off of Broadway for nearly two decades when the Hooper film came out. You're thinking of Dear Evan Hansen. That's a very, very rare case where a movie is so wretchedly godawful that it basically tarnished any and all goodwill built up within its franchise.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Are people really expecting Killers of The Flower Moon, a 4 hour movie about the killing of Native Americans (this theme makes a big difference to the similarly long Oppenheimer) that will be on streaming very soon to put up any significant numbers? 

The last Scorsese/Leo collab with a much, much more accessible theme opened to 18m. Personally I'd be very shocked to see it open above 30m, and I imagine Eras 2nd weekend will be quite comfortably above that 

I also think even the latest trailer for KOTFM is too complex and confusingly cut for general audiences. Undoubtedly Leo and DeNiro will be enough to draw in some people but it just does not have the simple punch of "The biography of the man who invented the atomic bomb" 

Edited by Dephira
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

That was actually Dear Evan Hansen, which closed on Broadway less than a year after the failed movie and the discourse surrounding it that many attributed to slowing ticket sales on the production. Probably ended up being a wake-up call to both industries about how quickly public perception of a property can change when a much broader audience finds out more about it tbh.

Edited by filmlover

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That was actually Dear Evan Hansen, which closed on Broadway less than a year after the failed movie and the discourse surrounding it that many attributed to slowing ticket sales on the production. Probably ended up being a wake-up call to both industries about how quickly public perception of a property can change when a much broader audience finds out more about it tbh.

TBF to DEH it had a good run for an original musical with productions around the world, the movie didn't help but I think it would closed anyway, likewise with Come From Away which closed around a similar time as DEH. 

With Cats, the movie sucking and failing won't kill interest in it. It's one of those shows which excels on the stage. I'm really want a Miss Saigon movie simply because it's one of the few musicals which is very cinematic in its staging. The Book of Mormon which I do like would be harder to pull off as a movie.

10 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Are people really expecting Killers of The Flower Moon, a 4 hour movie about the killing of Native Americans (this theme makes a big difference to the similarly long Oppenheimer) that will be on streaming very soon to put up any significant numbers? 

I think the first trailer is cut very much like a crime drama one would expect from Scorsese, and makes it look accessible. Whether or not that's true (I have completely stayed away from reviews for it) is besides the point - I think the trailer makes it LOOK like a well-paced, entertaining drama. I definitely think it can open fairly high, but legs are a bigger question for me (with films of 160 minutes length and longer, the big discussion can quickly become "do you really FEEL that length?").

14 minutes ago, Dephira said:

The last Scorsese/Leo collab with a much, much more accessible theme opened to 18m. Personally I'd be very shocked to see it open above 30m, and I imagine Eras 2nd weekend will be quite comfortably above that 

I also think even the latest trailer for KOTFM is too complex and confusingly cut for general audiences. Undoubtedly Leo and DeNiro will be enough to draw in some people but it just does not have the simple punch of "The biography of the man who invented the atomic bomb" 

Last I checked, the Tracking Thread has the film gunning for 30M+. Also Wolf of Wall Street's 18M is wonky to use as a comparison when it opened on a Wednesday and during Christmas, when things are more deflated. In an October release date or something, it too would have likely gunned for 30M+.

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8robmeh/

If anyone attends this movie and they are not expecting it to be a standing up, full-throated sing-along concert experience, then they are in for a big surprise.

While I can understand and open to this idea of people standing and cheering up like a real concert. Well, a concert movie is an avenue for the crowd who would otherwise not have the opportunity to attend a concert but at least theaters should just put "Sing-Along" in the title to "warn" the other moviegoers.

Hopefully this isn't becoming a norm for other movies. I do agree the public manner in general, including in a theater, has gotten worse post-Covid. 

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8robmeh/

If anyone attends this movie and they are not expecting it to be a standing up, full-throated sing-along concert experience, then they are in for a big surprise.

Honestly I'm more excited for the crowd experience than I am for the movie (casual Taylor fan here) when seeing this tomorrow. 😆

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

While I can understand and open to this idea of people standing and cheering up like a real concert. Well, a concert movie is an avenue for the crowd who would otherwise not have the opportunity to attend a concert but at least theaters should just put "Sing-Along" in the title to "warn" the other moviegoers.

Hopefully this isn't becoming a norm for other movies. I do agree the public manner in general, including in a theater, has gotten worse post-Covid. 

Sure, but I very much doubt this is reaching the kind of casual moviegoers that would be shocked by this behaviour (or not go along with it).